Miserly May come help me please!

(358 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 30-Apr-13 17:20:35

Heeeeelp meeeeee!

AdoraBell Wed 01-May-13 13:52:33

Welcome to all de-lurkers and newbies.

I had 11 NSDs in April and today will be an NSD too. DDs are off school, May first is a public holiday here, and classmates of DD2 are coming here to study. Tomorrow I'll need petrol after the school run. OH may be cutting his trip short as it's all gone pear shaped and he's spending money on travel and accommodation with nothing coming in. The vet's bill from last month haven't even seen it will have to wait as OH will pay it from savings when he returns.

cathyandclaire Wed 01-May-13 14:26:05

Signing in, lurker in need of a kick up the backside support smile
Aiming for 10NSD this month...only managed 1 in April blush but still spent loads less ( I halved my monthly food shop) by menu planning and avoiding the shops.
May will be better.

BeCool Wed 01-May-13 14:53:36

delurking newbie, who failed spectacularly when trying not to spend last week of April. I think I spent MORE than usual blush

Anyway it's a brand new month and I'm not giving up!!!! I know it's bout forming new habits and breaking old ones - here I go again!

CremeEggThief Wed 01-May-13 15:55:35

£1.10 on bus fare today.

DottyDot Wed 01-May-13 16:20:20

Inspired by this thread, I've just created a NSD spreadsheet... blush

hereshecomesnowsayingyoniyoni Wed 01-May-13 16:57:12

May I join.started doing a monthly shop which last month saved me about £100.since pay day last Thursday I've done the monthly shop and filled up my car £35.00.all my bills have been paid so I'm trying not to spend money especially on my days off.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 01-May-13 19:12:59

Evening ladies. I have just made my confession on the April thread and now I am absolved from sins and ready for much more miserly may. Ages ago on here someone posted a "feed a family for a week for £30" menu. I found it on my pc yesterday. Not sure if I can forward from the in box but I can try if anyone wants it. Aiming for 10 nsd, packed lunch on work days, no posh coffees and lean production techniques in the kitchen - no unnecessary stock just because it was buy 3 to save 20p rubbish and no waste. Apart from those aims I must stay away from garden centres and nurseries. The sun is out here abnd I want to go plant shopping. (I got about 15 primulas yesterday - big ones reduced to 50p each. They only need deadheading and they will bloom again). Got some bits on Ebay selling ok but down to low value items now that may go better at a car boot sale. Got a few big birthdays this month but smuggly bought pressies in the January sale! Exam marking now so in ome is boosted. Sadly just clearing overdraft from maternity leave (not too horrific though). Good luck to all - check in regularly for boasting or confessing.

takeaway2 Wed 01-May-13 19:14:39

Spent some money today. Had lunch at work first time in months. £5.40. And then sainsburys as we needed bread, spaghetti, got some 3 for £5 sausages, ham and chicken goujons, potatoes, milk... £14. Grr. But tomorrow should be the first NSD of the month.

Thatsinteresting Wed 01-May-13 19:22:31

April hasn't been too bad but May is just full of expense. 6 birthdays, including a big one that we need travel and a hotel for, 1 anniversary (just a card will do), and half term. We also have a big purchase coming up so need to make extra effort to not do any unnecessary spending. Bought some frozen fruit today, £1.29 and made 2 jars of jam as I already had sugar. I know you can get cheaper jam but this tastes good too.

IsThatTrue Wed 01-May-13 19:37:04

Well I spent today but it was only £8 and that bought ds2 a sunhat (I did look in the charity shops but they didn't have any to fit) for £4, a stick on highchair toy for £1 (so there's at least 1 toy he can't throw on the floor for attention) and a v tech spinning number and animal thing for £3, which has working batteries too! I resisted the urge to go into ikea for lunch and came home instead. So I count today as a win.

LSD tomo with just £1 for toddlers to pay.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 01-May-13 19:37:10

Frozen fruit jam - great idea as I have some jam sugar. Thanks for the tip.
I did buy a rhubab plant yesterday for hoping for crumble filler later in the year. Thinking of buying more veg plants once the frosts have past, that's an investment though - if I can be bothered to water them that is. We used to have one of those plastic greenhouse things - might dig it out and try some veg in it.

AdoraBell Wed 01-May-13 20:57:44

Counted up my NSDs for April, 11, not too shabby. DDs need winter PJs and I have a gift card that I can't seem to spend on me, nothing I need right now, so shall use that tomorrow. I think I have some jam making sugar in the cupboard, if so I'll nick your idea for the jam That'sinteresting

Leilandri Wed 01-May-13 21:11:41

Signing back onboard for May. Fell overboard in April blush
I get paid four weekly, so I actually get paid in the middle of the month at the moment, which is very weird for me as I have always had monthly pay. We've split it so that DH's wages pay the Direct Debits, and my wages (+Tax Credits which come in on the same day) pays for nursery, food, petrol and any extras.
I have 16 days til I get paid again, and I have £35 to last me. I meal plan for the four weeks, and I write my shoppind list based on that, so we 'should' only need fresh fruit.

Allotment is coming on well and our polytunnel is in full swing. I have counted the seeds/plants that I have sown/grown (and some that I have yet to do) and IF everything grows, then we shall 53 different edibles this year grin

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 02-May-13 07:39:02

I am always very jealous of your allotment leilandri.

Vegan brownies, I know it sounds vile but they are really nice. I make them when I need a treat.

I'm going to buy tea bags today. 1200 of them from sainsburys basics range.

DottyDot Thu 02-May-13 09:28:58

NSD for me today - have cycled to work and am nowhere near shops - hurrah! grin

Dilidali Thu 02-May-13 09:32:52

Right. Last month has been....(and gone), we moved house. But inspired by you guys, we ate 'the cupboards', the fridge, the lot.
I changed bank accounts: we both get paid in separate accounts now and contribute proportionally towards the family account.
The rent, bills, food and petrol come from the family account.
We have a Sainsbury's gift card thatgives us 5% off, so that gets loaded with £400 a month normally, but my aim is to cut that right down, to £200 a month. I menu plan, make my own bread, don't really go out much lol.
I don't presume we will have an awful lot left at the end of the month to save, not this month anyway, but June will be in earnest the time to look carefully at the budget. We have no debt, but a bit of overdraft, the bills will be all over the place this month.
I will come back to let you know how I get on.
I like the NSD, one so far, given we're on 2nd lol, but I simply must have the car washed( we used it for moving) and have a haircut, last one was in december!!!I now have something resembling a dead animal on my head, it is meant to be short but growing it, if that makes sense. But, 'Blunt-ly' put, I am beautiful, I'm beautiful, toooo meeeeess'

takeaway2 Thu 02-May-13 10:00:29

NSD today so far. Have brought lunch for work. Was thinking of cleaning the car this afternoon but will probably do it at home - if the weather's good, lug the vacuum out and just do it then. Happy NSDs to all!

northender Thu 02-May-13 10:05:04

Well May has not got off to the best start here but as usual, unavoidable spends sad. Last weekend entertaining the in laws went well and all the stocked up food was a success. This weekend though is fil's 70th birthday and so we're off for a weekend in Somerset. Trying to keep costs down as much as possible as ever!
Ds showed me his school shoes last night and they really are falling apart so need to be replaced, dh and I both need new shoes and dd needs school trousers and a few other bits of summer clothes.
We have realised that we're not going to get all our credit cards paid off in the interest free period so will have to do a balance transfer, but we feel ok about it as it is still just about the cheapest way to borrow, we won't be far off our target and, at last, we feel in control of our finances (it's only taken us 17 years of life together to get to that point grin)

Piemother Thu 02-May-13 12:34:48

Sainsburys gift card??? Please expand grin

I bought a lolly maker in sainsburys for 1.50. I have just made the lollies with own brand cherryade which was 60p. I reckon I will get at least 10 sets of 4 lollies out of a bottle. Dd1 was thrilled with this activity grin

However, dd1 begged me yesterday to let her go to rugby tots or whatever it's called. I will take her for a trial because I want to encourage her with a non girly sport and she's so enthusiastic with activities. It's not that dear but a potentially new financial commitment means more austerity else where.
Food shop yesterday 55. That wax brilliant as still up 40 from last week so 25 left over until next shop which can be wed but I will try and stretch further grin

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 02-May-13 17:02:06

Yesterday I spent £16 in Sainsbury's on milk, bread, fruit, and nappies.

Today has been a NSD, partly because DS1 is poorly so we've been stuck at home. Tomorrow is looking likely to be the same, but I've got the weekly shop being delivered so not a NSD - just a no frittering day which is just as important!

takeaway2 Thu 02-May-13 17:50:28

NSD! smile pleased that I decided to clean the car too. At home with the vacuum here rather than at the car wash place which would have cost £1 or more.

Hoping that tomorrow is a NSD too. Fingers crossed.

MrsDeVere Thu 02-May-13 17:59:52

NSD here.
Didn't go anywhere so not difficult!

I need to go and get my £40 deposit back from the tattoo studio this month. I keep forgetting about it.

Also need to bank my change. I have been saving it for ages.

AdoraBell Thu 02-May-13 20:57:25

Today I spent £84 in the supermarket, that included warm PJs for DDs as dept store had none so I couldn't use my gift card. Also bought a kilo of frozen blueberries to make that jam. I love Bonne Maman's wild blueberry jam but when it's available here it's just a fraction under 4 quids per normal sized jar.

Roads £2.55 to school this am, but that was out of cash I withdrew last week £2.40 into town and back on the cheap road

Petrol -£60
Need to pick up de-worming pills for dogs-looks like one of them has picked up something from the recent hunting trips.

Well done on NSDs everyone, I should have another tomorrow.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 02-May-13 21:02:18

£4 for jam shock

Leilandri Thu 02-May-13 21:13:30

Spent £21 today on fruit, bacon, marg and flour. Have 15 eggs sitting on the side in the kitchen, with another 3/4 being laid every day. Time to make a quiche! Does anyone know if you can freeze homemade quiche once it's been cooked?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now