Miserly May come help me please!

(358 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 30-Apr-13 17:20:35

Heeeeelp meeeeee!

takeaway2 Sat 18-May-13 17:29:26

Went to lidl today as was nearer there and we spent £45. For a weekly shop that's pretty good. grin I'm really relishing not spending the £80-100 I used to spend. Very hopeful about this month's credit card bills. Other than the expenses for work which I have put in claims for already, don't think we spent too much. Fingers crossed anyway. Doing car boot tomorrow. Wish me luck! grin

DottyDot Sat 18-May-13 21:45:16

NSD today smile

Munchkin08 Sun 19-May-13 08:57:10

Doing better had one or two NSD's and only bought veg, milk and ice cream. Hope you do we'll today Takeaway.

ArtemisatBrauron Sun 19-May-13 18:07:04

spend agggges putting in c.40 CDs to music website, only offered £15 for them so will probably just put them in the charity shop. Have listed lots of jewellery and other bits on eBay though!

takeaway2 Sun 19-May-13 19:46:28

So my car boot experience... Wasn't that great. I made about £15 in total which is good in that I didn't have that at the start. It was also sunny which helped.

I didn't do too well because of several factors. Like there was another car boot in the same city on the same
day which started at 6am (mine was 8.30), the fact that it was the 19th of the month (and therefore people might already be skint) and well, maybe the fact that I wanted £20 for a car seat or a pram was too much for them?!! hmm

I will put the bigger items like car seat, isofix etc on gumtree. Clothes etc I might give to charity. I'm disappointed really because I expected more from the bigger items.

ArtemisatBrauron Sun 19-May-13 20:13:33

sad sorry to hear that takeaway ...your experience has put me off trying, I have some stuff stacked in the hall but I think I will take it to the charity shop.

takeaway2 Sun 19-May-13 20:50:44

hmm Sorry Artemis. It was pretty bad. And I live in a city that's pretty 'affluent' (in that we aren't mentioned in the papers as one of those with really bad unemployment rates, no future etcetc). My friends who I went with sold more but again lots of little things for £.50-£2. A friend sold snow boots that looked brand new (worn 3x by her daughter) for £3. I sold a pair of red floral sandals from m&s (wedge style so still in fashion) for 50p. That was bad. And a bumbo seat for £4 (even eBay is £7). People 'complained'...

Like I said I think I'll list stuff on Gumtree and will think seriously about shifting the rest of the stuff in my next NCT nns sale. Those people will appreciate the monsoon/boden/joules jumpers going for £3... grin

ArtemisatBrauron Sun 19-May-13 21:41:15

I was afraid it would be like that at the one near us, plus it's £15 to enter a car, which makes it even harder! At least this way I can console myself that I am saving time and donating to charity! smile

jenduck Mon 20-May-13 10:02:28

Spent about £10 on groceries at the weekend, plus £4.50 on a pair of trainers for ds1 from sports direct - great price & a 'make', very impressed!

I always find that when we do a car boot sale, we don't make more than about £30. So now I have started listing things in a Facebook local selling page, where things go for decent prices & buyer collects. So this morning, somebody is picking up a toy kitchen, a baby toy & a cot duvet cover for £9, at boot sale I would have been lucky to get £5 for it all, plus the pitch costs money. As a boot sale buyer, I pay only very low prices eg 20p or less for kids clothes, 50p for adults clothes it smaller toys. The kitchen I an selling today cost me £1 at a car boot sale!

Have to fetch a car part today, one week till moving & our car has broken down shock So bus fare halfway there & back (walk the rest), £35 on part, shopping on way back, probably £50 spend today.

DottyDot Mon 20-May-13 10:04:29

I had another NSD yesterday but definitely a spend day today as it's my best friend's birthday tomorrow, so I'm off out shopping at lunchtime to get her some bits and bobs... (am quite grin at the thought of going shopping - MUST rein it in...)

ExasperatedSigh Mon 20-May-13 11:10:57

Egged on by DH, I spent £28 on random food and booze in Morrisons on Saturday night. We need bread today and my breadmaking skills have deserted me, so might buy that but otherwise should be NSD.

Sympathies on the car jenduck - we had a critical error light come on at the weekend and were shitting it about the potential cost. Apparently it's a spark plug thing that doesn't require any action....yet.

MamaTo2FabBoys Mon 20-May-13 16:01:02

I done well yesterday as I took £1.60 into the shop for milk so that was all I could buy. I haven't done well with nsds this month as iv had a small spends Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and today. I really must try harder as I done so well last month .

Raaraathenoisybaby Mon 20-May-13 18:57:06

Finally a NSD grin
Dd1 poorly today so we didn't go out. I got her out a new DVD from the present drawer (Disney 2 for 1 a whole back) and I managed to do some batch cooking. Result!

I have nc btw I am already in this thread as a maternal baked goods grin

I have a whopping spend coming up for dm landmark birthday so trying hard not to go mad with anything.

Yesterday I cracked and went clothes shopping before my goal of August because everything is falling apart and I can't really go on. I spent 120 on 2 pairs of jeans, a skirt, 2 tops and done sunglasses I think. That was good for me. I'm not taking the tags off until I've assessed that they work with other clothes I have. The sunglasses were cheap plastic because if I break my ray bans I can never afford to replace them hmm

Fly lady has got my house under control again and this extends to money issues because I feel more organised.

Dm is coming to stay this week and look after dd2 so if I don't get some selling and cupboard sorting done it will never happen!

Happy scrimping grin

AdoraBell Tue 21-May-13 03:40:02

I've lost trackblush, hope everyone is doing okay.

OH paid for Friday's business dinner, I know not how much
OH bought food for a BBQ, I know not how much
OH bought materials to build a dog pen, I know not how much

I have orderd some more of that Czech beer - £20
OH has ordered Czech beer to give to a friend, another £20

DD1 needs a new hockey stick and will have to wait. I need to buy toiletries this week, plus veg, salad, bread. I'll try to catch up tomorrow.

MamaTo2FabBoys Tue 21-May-13 14:27:04

Yeah a nsd finally today so 8/16. Just need to pick the boys up and then we will be back home for a lazy evening playing in the garden as the sun is finally out.

ExasperatedSigh Tue 21-May-13 18:17:15

Nsd here too.

takeaway2 Tue 21-May-13 18:21:17

NSD! Finally. Think it's day 3 or 4?! Bad.

Off travelling again from tomorrow. Hopefully all expenses on work.

AdoraBell Tue 21-May-13 23:21:23

NSD here, that makes three in a row because on Sat I bought smoothies for DDs while out. Tomorrow I just need to get out, 4 day weekend at home doesn't work for me, so may get some groceries. Not sure what I need yet though. We're still eating BBQ leftovers.

AdoraBell Wed 22-May-13 01:44:43

Yay, OH has been paid. I don't feel any better though think I've got cabin fever

jenduck Wed 22-May-13 08:04:11

Finally had an nsd yesterday! Got to buy nappies & a cake for my grandparents today, but the cost of those will be covered by the £10 I will get for selling stuff, so I am counting it as another nsd!

DottyDot Wed 22-May-13 10:09:57

NSDs yesterday and today - I think I might even hit my target of 16 this month shock. I've found it quite strange, having to think really hard about whether I really need to spend money each day - and I think I'll still have spent about £150 on 'surplus' stuff this month - that's birthday presents, one trip to the cinema, a couple of lunches and a couple of car park spends instead of cycling to work. That really feels like the minimum I can get away with, so maybe I need to factor in between £150 - £200 each month for stuff like that.

TheConstantLurker Wed 22-May-13 12:41:48

Hello. Marking my place. After a debate DP and I have decided against getting a loan to get new bathroom and pay off credit cards and overdraft and just carry on, paying off debts as we can and sometimes using my wage to get small things done to the bathroom over the next few years. sad
Looking at 4-5 years to pay everything off. It's the right thing to do but very depressing to face all that time scrimping.

shortscotty Wed 22-May-13 13:21:57

smile NSD at last

ExasperatedSigh Wed 22-May-13 14:20:42

TheConstantLurker sympathies, it feels like such a grind I know. I have been having pangs recently about how far away we are from some of our friends in terms of financial security, house size etc. and wondering how long it will take us to get there (and indeed if we ever will). But then we are also in a much better position than other friends so I'm being rather self-indulgent if I'm honest.

To get everything done that needs doing in our house will take a good few years, and it's not even that much - new kitchen (tiny room, fortunately, so shouldn't cost that much grin), finish decorating downstairs, plaster stairs and bedrooms, decorate up there, sort out the wonky floors, new front door. We are looking at a few years of saving to spend, saving to spend.

Anyway, NSD so far although I might need to hit the supermarket later on...depends if there is money in the account and if I can face taking two fractious children with me. DS has taken to dramatically wailing 'oh no, not the supermarket, I hate the supermarket' when I announce we are going there hmm

MamaTo2FabBoys Wed 22-May-13 15:33:43

NSD so far but I have parents evening tonight and im just trying to stay strong and not buy the boys a book from the display. Easier said than done as its a fundraiser and my oldest has already picked what 1 he wants. Im going to try though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now