Miserly May come help me please!

(358 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 30-Apr-13 17:20:35

Heeeeelp meeeeee!

AdoraBell Wed 15-May-13 19:49:20

The thing I like most about paying by DD is the rate of interest is usually lower, so if you can't pay it all in one month you pay less interest than without a DD in place, wonder if it's same with a standing order?

Spendy morning going to bury my head in the sand after typing this

Supermarket - £12
Pharmacy -13.50 face cream for DD2. She has sensitive dry skin and Vaseline and or olive oil isn't working. Have splashed out on Eucerin with high hopes she said hopefully

Vet- dog food for no-longer-puppies and de-worming for 4 dogs, one hundred and twenty six pounds and sixty six fecking pence . <faints>

AlvinHallsGroupie Wed 15-May-13 19:54:16

Dotty I use my JL and Tesco CC to my advantage - pay for everything, pay off in full each month and get lots of JL vouchers and Clubcard points in return.
I do agree that you need to be disciplined though !

I see what you mean Fluffy but I pay off in full anyway - I use DD just in case I end up in hospital forget to pay

DottyDot Wed 15-May-13 20:03:57

Ah - there's no way I would ever be that disciplined!! I worked in cash only for a couple of years when the bank took my Switch card off me blush. Am much better now but always feel like I'm on the edge of the financial cliff - and as the main wage earner I can't afford to fall off it..!

MexicanHouseThief Wed 15-May-13 21:41:04

I give thanks every day that even as a brainless stoner twentysomething I was honest enough with myself to know that a credit card in my hands would be BAD NEWS. Never had one. I did still manage to run up loan and overdraft debts though blush but these days we are in the fortunate position of having no debt apart from the mortgage.

The thought of being in debt these days makes me hyperventilate. I was a complete idiot about money though, no clue at all.

Thatsinteresting Wed 15-May-13 23:01:07

I think a little debt did me good. I got my first storecard on my 18th birthday. At my worst I had 4 storecards, visa, loan and small overdraft. None of my cards were at there limit and although it was a managable debt it did start to impact on my ability to go out and have fun. That's when I tackled it. Apart from my interest free overdraft I was debt free by my 30th birthday and these days I don't even have that. It really taught me a lesson about how easily debt spirals but thankfully I didn't have any real responsibilities. Now I have 2 dc and a mortgage so I'm careful with our income.
We use a Tesco credit card too. You do have to pay it off to make it work for you but I've just discovered one of our favourite family friendly restaurants has started accepting Tesco vouchers. £10 voucher is worth £40 there so that's what we'll be doing for Fathers day!
Busy baking today. My cupboards are groaning as I've done monthly shop. So nice to see after last weeks empty shelves. Adora how did your jam turn out?

AdoraBell Thu 16-May-13 02:49:55

Jam was so-so, I'll have another go as I was rushing. I think I'll use this lot for baking. I feel a blueberry bread and butter pudding coming on this weekend. DDs are off school Mon. And Tues. DD1 is planning on baking cup cakes with a friend to sell in school. Not sure what the school rules are but I can't let OH know, he's paranoid picky about things like that.

Munchkin08 Thu 16-May-13 09:24:08

Finally a NSD. Good advice Andora re taking a little cash with you. I have a cc but no overdraft and always pay it off in full each month after getting into debt when ex hub was made redundant, but the amount I spend on it keeps increasing each month so for the first 3 weeks of the month I am short of money so use it again and I just want to get I front so I not using all my wages up paying it off - am trying to do that by the end of June so I don't get in debt in the summer hols - otherwise this will carry on and it will be tough at Christmas x

northender Thu 16-May-13 11:28:31

I'm tempted to start using a cashback card (or similar) for petrol, supermarket shopping etc, not sure I have the discipline yet. We're now in a position where our debts (used to fund home improvements) are on credit card interest free deals. We have now stopped spending on them and are trying to have them fully paid off by the end of the interest free period. If we don't quite manage that, as looks likely, we'll balance transfer on the best deal. Credit cards can be cheap/free borrowing if you are disciplined. I know only too well how it can spiral though, so am very careful.

Have had a good week here so far. Was supposed to be out for lunch with a friend today but she has cancelled sad but from a spending pov it's good. May go out for tea as it's ds's last day of SATs but it will have to be to a budget! Quiet weekend planned too so spending should be kept in check.

ArtemisatBrauron Thu 16-May-13 12:43:21

Have decided to use the money from selling stuff this week to pay off the last of my credit card debt - by tonight I will be entirely debt free! Have worked my way out of my over draft and no longer have one and I think I will close the credit card account when I pay it off tonight.
DH has some debt from before we were married which we are then going to pay off - it will take about another 7 months before we are completely debt free.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 16-May-13 14:28:12

Make sure they send you a confirmation letter saying the account balance was zero.

Dh paid a card off and it had £15 interest, which didn't get billed to him but became about £50 of late fees when we eventually found out angry.

It's a lovely feeling when it's all paid off.

MexicanHouseThief Thu 16-May-13 14:52:12

Well done Artemisat, that's brilliant smile

Spent £1.60 on gingerbread men for the kids today. Otherwise should be spendless.

AdoraBell Thu 16-May-13 16:27:00

I'm going to whisper this so as not to upset people, I once had a credit balance on a CCgrin took me ten minutes to work out what I was looking at and an hour to calm down after that

Fluffy is right, you really, really need written confirmation of the zero balance.

Today I am going to squander money on disposable plates and cutlery. I'm struggling to keep on top of the house, laundry, dogs, everything else and clearing DDs plates when I've told them to and they've walked away saying "yeah" , so this way I can just bin their dretritus.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 16-May-13 17:27:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 16-May-13 18:40:05

If you have an android phone, not an iPhone though, Nielsen do an app that monitors your useage or something and credits your account with points tht can be swapped for amazon vouchers.

You need 2000 points for a £10 voucher, I'm getting 250 a week. It doesn't affect the data useage either.

ArtemisatBrauron Fri 17-May-13 07:38:13

adora what happens in that case? I have actually been wondering because I have a direct debit to pay off the card each month and it will still come out as it is too late to cancel it, so I will have overpaid the balance!
I am closing the account with them and asking for a final, paper statement to ensure no sneaky extra payments!

Alwayscheerful Fri 17-May-13 07:57:32

Fluffy- good point re standing order. Another possible idea, put DD in place for the minimal monthly payment of interest and set up a SO for an additional reduction in the balance or one off online banking/ cash payments in branch.

jenduck Fri 17-May-13 09:10:07

Fluffy that app sounds interesting & I think my phone is Android (Samsung galaxy ace). How do you get it, have never got an app in my life so clueless!

We currently have 3 credit cards & a store card blush due to first me then dh being at uni, then dh entering his profession on a very low wage, as you have to do, but we will pay them all off when we move house in a couple of Weeks, then just have one for emergencies/abroad.

Spent £1.60 yesterday on cake & reduced naice jam. Should only be about £2 today for tea in the park. Also selling more stuff, so at least another £12 for the tin.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 17-May-13 13:27:02

Nielsen app

You need to register on google play on your phone, which is a bit infuriating, then download the Nielsen app from google play store onto the phone.

It's £60 a year by my reckoning.

takeaway2 Fri 17-May-13 21:51:48

Have been away half this week. So I think I'm still stuck on 3 NSDs which is quite rubbish considering I used to do 4/week! Tuesday I flew out of the country. Had breakfast at heathrow which wasn't cheap but that's on expense (I didn't choose an expensive restaurant and frankly I was quite looking forward to a McDonald muffin! But sadly there was none of that sort around!). Taxi to hotel when I got there. Again on expense. Then I decided to get a manicure and pedicure done. Looked at the prices and they were brilliant. At least half the price and if I may say so, a much more thorough job done. So that unfortunately couldn't be charged to work! grin Dinner was work expense.

Next day. All expenses was work. Then got to airport and had to get some things for the kids so I spent I think under £10. Not bad.

Thursday back at work. Brought lunch and everything. V smug. Then had to get petrol. That was £64. Argh. But I realized that the price did drop by a couple of p since the last time I filled up. So that's great.

Friday. Was going well. Then spent £1 on biscuits at gym for the kids. That's ok I think.

Roll on weekend. Because dh did a really big shop last weekend at aldi I think we need only go in for milk and eggs and fruit. Looking forward! Oh and I'm doing a car boot sale on Sunday. Never ever done one! Any tips will be welcome! grin

DottyDot Fri 17-May-13 22:51:12

NSD for me today and possibly will be tomorrow, fingers crossed. Even with all this effort (has been quite an effort for me!) I reckon I'll still only have reduced my overdraft by £50 this month. Still, it's a reduction I suppose....

ExasperatedSigh Sat 18-May-13 06:13:23

Spendy day yesterday - £10 on lunch in the library cafe for me and the kids as had no packed lunch makings in the house, £28 in Morrisons - but that will top up what's in the house for most of next week. Also, I needed stuff from Boots so paid with Advantage Card points.

Being in this position has certainly shown me how much more we could eat out of the freezer/cupboards instead of just breezing to the supermarket for the same old stuff. I do cook from scratch 90% if the time but get stuck in a rut. Little did I know the answer was to get really skint grin

ExasperatedSigh Sat 18-May-13 07:19:06

Oh sorry, it's MexicanHouseThief as was - I've changed back to my usual name now.

In more annoying money news, had a letter from the pet insurance people a fewdays ago. Got all excited thinking it was a cheque, opened to find my claim form had been returned along with a shitty letter telling me to ensure I sent the right documentation next time. Er...that would be the itemised bill that the vet is supposed to include then. Rang up vet and made very disappointed noises at them.

mumtoblaire Sat 18-May-13 11:51:45

Have been watching this thread and gained lots of advice. I have been doing really well avoiding big supermarkets that stock the items that i was buying willy nilly. DD1 always picked up DVD...yes it is only £3 yes you can have it but this was becoming a daily habit. DD2 got into habit of not going in trolley and as such i was not able to concentrate on prices and was picking up first thing i saw.

Now we shop in Aldi if the kids are with us. I stick to a list of some sorts. I avoid the offers in the middle if I really don't want to go over budget.

Thanks Ladies. Heading of to Aldi in a moment armed with a list and an almost meal plan.

shortscotty Sat 18-May-13 14:12:00

I have been trying, only managed one maybe 2 NSD this week, its a couple of weeks til payday and we are ok I think for food etc. Just got to get myself in gear and meal plan...heading off to look for a pretty one to print off, that may inspire me to get on with it!

Rosvita Sat 18-May-13 14:16:29

Getting fed up now -£78 over budget on cards this month-hoping I will just manage to clear it with salary when get paid.certainly wont be able to save any money out of my pay though and will probably be overdrawn by end of next month with things I need cash for.got so much 'stuff' coming up to pay for too-car mot and service,hol balance,Ds' birthday,professional subscription,school uniform-the list is endless.roll on Tuesday when I can spend again on next month's bill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now