Miserly May come help me please!

(358 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 30-Apr-13 17:20:35

Heeeeelp meeeeee!

MrsDeVere Tue 30-Apr-13 17:22:30

I was great in Feb but rubbish in March and April.

I need to get back on track. All you lot who have been sticking it out need to give me a kick up the bum!

takeaway2 Tue 30-Apr-13 17:58:36

Thank you setting this up! Ready to be miserly! grin

MrsDeVere Tue 30-Apr-13 18:10:40

Oh good.
I plan to have a clear out and do some ebaying too.
Can never do anything by halves!

IsThatTrue Tue 30-Apr-13 19:24:52

Marking place, bills go out tomo and I'm only going to break even, no savings this month. sad

Piemother Tue 30-Apr-13 19:38:14

Signing in grin
April was so so. Food shopping finally under control and if I supermarket tomorrow that will be 3 weeks since I last went! I did one panic top up shop on Sunday of bread and milk. If I go tomorrow I must do a strict list as I only need cheese and bread and milk and a few fresh things. My 40 a week budget is really working I am stupidly impressed!
I am 75 quid up from prem bonds but trip away cost a bit so that will just be paid in - usually I splurge that.
I need new work clothes (old ones are shocking or don't fit) so that will have to be budgeted for between now and August.
Today I spent 11 pounds. 2 on the car park at the beach - I don't mind that but the other 9 was on picnic stuff as the trip was last minute. I need to work on picnics - dd1 always has a packed lunch I need to sort myself out!

CremeEggThief Tue 30-Apr-13 19:56:36

Hello all! I have an overnight trip to Harrogate this Sunday, and a 3 day trip to Ireland later in the month for my niece's Christening, but am aiming to be frugal apart from that. I have a box of stuff to eBay; I made just over £70 on MusicMagpie this month; and I built up £15 trading in stuff to Amazon.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 30-Apr-13 21:54:20

Checking in smile

We are going away for the 2nd bank holiday weekend. It is already either paid for or money aside, but I want to be really careful the rest of the month incase anything unexpected crops up.

I will need to buy bread, milk and apples tomorrow. Thursday should be a no spend day, Friday the shopping will be delivered.

We are having a day out with my parents on Saturday and then staying over at their house, home on Sunday. Must plan food for Sunday and Monday properly and get organised, otherwise we'll end up doing ad hoc shopping which will get expensive.

Helenagrace Tue 30-Apr-13 23:03:39

Checking in!

Really pleased with how April went. Ended up having just under half of the food budget left from April so that's paid for the mega Aldi shop I did on Saturday. Should have all my non perishables until June now.

May is a loooooong month though!

northender Tue 30-Apr-13 23:19:09

Marking my place. April was mixed and May will start off spendy as we are going away for fil's 70th birthday. Really trying to stay frugal though.

AdoraBell Tue 30-Apr-13 23:47:15

D'ya mean like this MrsD

<tries to put on author active voice> put that item down, that's frivolous spending shock ?

I'm in, haven't counted up my NSDs from April yet, but today was the last of 'em. Someone should be viewing the house this evening, everything's crossed.

MamaTo2FabBoys Wed 01-May-13 07:35:12

Hi everyone, I had 15 nsd so aiming for 16 this month, hoping today will start me off. I had a successful April although I really need to save a few pounds of each weeks budget as the kids have a few days off in May. Good luck everyone.

williaminajetfighter Wed 01-May-13 07:38:00

Marking place. Trying to be super frugal this month and limit spending to 30 per week if I can...

lilacclery Wed 01-May-13 07:58:49

A frequent lurker on these threads, I have gleaned loads of useful information from them.

Thanks to Jan & Feb thread I organised myself to pay 6 months cartax today by saving each week(paid weekly) with Rabodirect, paid my tv license when it was due, and plan to save 12 months cartax for end of Oct when I will be going on mat leave again, haven't paid 12 months cartax in one go since pregnant with dd who turned 3 in April!

I have also brought my weekly shopping bill down and have started saving in butchers for Christmas €5 a week from here to just before I go on mat leave will have us €100 of meat for Christmas - butcher throws in last €5 as goodwill.

Have brought shopping bill down from €140+ per week to €120 on average, this feeds 3 adults and DD3, 2 big dogs, and about 4 cats. Have finally successfully toilet trained DD3 so that will cut down bill even more.

I've also put child benefit into our holiday fund each month since Jan, and once that's over with from July on it will go towards a bulk delivery of wood pellets for next winter. Prior to this child benefit disappeared each month with nothing significant to show for it

Saving and paying for my bills weekly suits me as I get paid weekly, but still love to read how everyone does things here

Rosvita Wed 01-May-13 11:00:26

Just joining the may thread.april didn't do too badly but still went slightly over planned budget so only managed to add £90 to my savings-now have £250/£2000 aim by end of the year so 12.5% of the way there-not quite on target but better than nothing!i used to get to the end of the month and not be able to clear my cards let alone save anything. already been quite spendy for this month as booked chessington tickets and hotel for son's birthday,food shopping,full tank of petrol,nursery fees,paid some more off our holiday balance due in july,some clothes from next for myself (for once) for our holiday.so have to reign my spending in until the 21st when I can start again on next month's budget.

MrsDeVere Wed 01-May-13 11:09:15

Hello all,

I let us all down today! What was I thinking? First day of May and I buy a packet of crappy jam croissants, a paper and a 1.99 magazine sad

What a wally.

I didn't need any of that stuff. £4.08 that could have gone towards my caravan fund.

Please don't court marshall (sp) me from the Fruglateers

grin

MamaTo2FabBoys Wed 01-May-13 11:18:37

Oh dear Mrs DeVere, that is why I am staying far, far,far away from the shops. At least you still have the rest of the month to save and avoid temptation xx ps I sure do love those wee jam croissants hehe

At least it was only £4.08 and not £48 on stuff you didn't need.

I don't go to the shops during the week. I only go on saturday's to ASDA but I'm going to change to fortnightly - have milk delivered, so should need to go to the shop for 'extras'.

I will go to the local breadshop and greengrocers weekly as the fruit and veg is much fresher then the supermarket.

Posted to soon. I need to find a butcher I can walk to as well.

DottyDot Wed 01-May-13 12:26:42

me too if that's OK? I'm soooooo overdrawn I literally have no money left this month already. Will be able to pay the mortgage and bills but that's it sad. However, I cycle to work most days and bring fruit and yoghurt for lunch from home and the food shop money's all covered so will definitely be able to survive! I just need as many no spend days as possible this month to try and get back on track...

So, today should have been a NSD but it's a charity event at work and they're selling cakes blush. £2 has been spent on lovely gluten-free cake though - and all for a good cause grin

Other than that, no spend today. Hurrah!

DottyDot Wed 01-May-13 12:27:52

ooh - good idea to have a NSD target for the month - mine's 16 days this month (which will be about 14 more than usually happens...).

MrsDeVere, when I wanted to stop random spending I wrote down all the little spends on parking, sandwiches at lunch and papers.

I was only doing it on days I work and had to go to the bank to pay cash in etc because when I'm at home I don't need any of those things.

It came to £50-60 a month. I don't even work full time, it really put it into perspective for me.

Plus I feel really smug parking for free in the free side road bays in town. You only get an hour but nipping to the bank takes 8 minutes. Yes, I timed it, and I'm not the least bit ashamed either.

So, anyway, £2.08 in aldi on bits and pieces for salads and food for the cat, £2 in Poundworld on cotton gloves and gravy powder, 29p for a pizza in morrisons (I had a voucher).

Plus I found £10 in my bedside cabinet drawer which I was about to chuck in the paper recycling hmm.

I've just installed an ap from neilsen that I found on the MSE newsletter, it tracks you or something and you get paid for it. They reckon its £50 a year which is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. This one.

lilacclery, I knew we had lurkers.

Zorra Wed 01-May-13 13:48:40

Ugh. After a great January and February, April sucked. I moved back to the UK so big spends on rent and deposit/ furniture (I don't have any! I've been paying for storage for two years and it's all junk shock) / new car and insurance and a million tiny things that you need in a new house, everything from salt and pepper to a Hoover. I got lots of things second hand, but DC2 is due in three weeks and I figured that being ready was more important than being frugal. Managed to spend <whispers> £5k in the last month, which is terrifying shock!

So, on here for May. And learning to do without, well, everything that I haven't got so far!

MrsDeVere Wed 01-May-13 13:51:57

Good idea Fluffy!
Though after years of being a comfort buyer I am pretty aware of where my money goes hmm <- that hmm is for me not you grin

I am lucky I have a work parking permit now so that cuts down on parking. I must stop myself buying very expensive craft magazines. I have enough and we have the internet for that now!

I am off work sick for a while so I have to be careful not to try and cheer myself up with stuff so I will do the opposite and sell things. I get the same sort of buzz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now