entertaining on a budget (kids party with adults)

(7 Posts)
Fuckwittery Tue 30-Apr-13 23:11:32

oooh, did I mention I'm veggie and a little bit of a foodie? I probably need to get some cous cous in there somethere?
Kids food I think I can do fine, good suggestions on here thank you! Maybe I can make some meat and veg skewers with naice bread for the grown ups. Sigh, I was hoping for cheap and fuss free.
I better start baking tomorrow!

jenduck Tue 30-Apr-13 09:16:55

Very doable! I would do:

Sandwiches (ham/cheese/jam)
Breadsticks
Batons of cucumber/carrots
Cherry tomatoes
Packets of crisps/wotsits/quavers in bowls (always looks more in bowls)
Sausage rolls
Pork pies cut into quarters
Maybe hm salsa with value tortilla crisps

Mini muffins
Fairy cakes (can get pack of 6/12 value ones in most supermarkets if you don't want to make them)
Fruit platter - cut up apples, mandarins, pineapple. Plus grapes & berries (shop late at night for these if you can to get vastly reduced)
Maybe chocolate fingers/animals?
Plus birthday cake

Big jugs of orange/blackcurrant squash for children (or water/milk)
Fizzy for adults - couple of bottles coke/lemonade.
Tea or coffee

No alcohol is fine, just don't even mention it! Although if you have a few £ spare, tesco do bucks fizz for not much more than £2 a bottle, which is nice & light & summery.

Also - do you have any Nectar points or Clubcard vouchers you can use up? If not, you may find that Aldi/Lidl go further for your money, maybe even Farmfoods.

Good luck!

Triumphoveradversity Tue 30-Apr-13 09:12:50

Hot dogs and burgers in buns with some coleslaw, salad and cheese etc so people can add fillings. Ask adults to bring a bottle or make some sangria with a couple of bottles of red, value lemonade and oj.
Ice cream in cones is a great idea.
This is quite unhealthy but it also requires minimal effort.

Go to Iceland grin

christinarossetti Mon 29-Apr-13 22:58:14

Either pitta bread pizzas or mini ones made with those 70p packets you just add water to to make dough.

Popcorn

Veg sticks and houmous

Chopped fruit

Cornflake cakes

£30 plenty for 15 for party food.

Hot dogs, chips for the children?
Range of pizzas, dips and breadstick, fruit. For adults

Ice lollies or ice cream in cones for puddings for all. I got 20 lollies for dd2's party for £2 in morrisons last week.

Dilute juice.

Fuckwittery Mon 29-Apr-13 21:20:58

I have 8 children aged between 9 and 2 coming at the weekend, and 6/7 adults.
My weekly shopping budget has gone a bit wrong this week as we went away to see friends and contributed to the food that was bought, and ate out, but I could spend £30 on the party for food.
Is this do-able? What could I make?? If I could do it on less that would be brilliant. I have most of the ingredients for the cake already.
Not serving alcohol as its lunchtime, a kids party and we don't drink, is this socially acceptable? Good enough friends that I can just say, oh I am sorry, I don't have wine as we're off it and get away with it, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now