Aldi Specially selected curry sauces, have you tried them?

(22 Posts)
Cosmos123 Tue 01-Oct-13 07:35:06

Found in supermarkets, is what I meant.

Cosmos123 Tue 01-Oct-13 07:34:09

shaheenfoods.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=100

Try these, you usually find them in ethnic shops.

Found them tastier than the usual stuff found I. Supermarkets.

Piperkerry Sun 29-Sep-13 21:50:24

Anyone tried in a slow cooker?

MrsExcited Tue 11-Jun-13 18:09:35

I love them too, esp the rogan Josh leave it stewing on low heat in the oven for 2 hours so the lamb comes out unbelievably tender

KatAndKit Wed 29-May-13 15:02:01

I like them too - I like the little powder thing that you use first before you add the jar. I prefer the tikka masala flavour. I also add a bit of water to it (about 1/4 of a jar) to make it less gloopy and to make it go further.

1stMrsFrugal Mon 20-May-13 21:32:31

Yes! I am a total food snob and mostly shop at Ocado for Waitrose products, but I do an Aldi shop every couple of months and stock up on stuff I like, which includes these. They are quite salty though.

We really like them.

MoogDroog Sun 05-May-13 04:34:09

Not tried the curry sauce (I'm on a mission to turn myself into the greatest Gujarati from-scratch cook this small rural town has ever seen grin), but their SS stir fry sauces are lush. Lush I tell you. Chilli and Thai basil, I'm looking at you!

Will get a curry one for the cupboard now though!

CitrusyOne Fri 26-Apr-13 20:32:23

Don't, whatever you do, buy the 'hot' ones. We had a madras and later that same evening DD was born. Sooooo fecking hot. The regular selection are yummy though.

Thanks for the tips IMST. I love lentils.

We have Dupiaza and Rogan Josh as they're milk free (DS allergic), we don't get the creamy ones.
I like that they're flavoursome without being spicy, though I tend to do them with vegetables rather than meat to save money.
Potatoes go well in this, also parsnips. A handful of lentils or peas makes it more filling too.

Great I'll buy that one then smile I love rogan josh.

Ninileigh Thu 18-Apr-13 21:30:08

Had the rogan josh tonight for tea, it was lovely!

Mine are fussy about curry too. In fact I usually don't mention that it is one and they only eat mild ones. They are slowly eating spicier food. Dp and I are the curry eaters tbh. My dcs are 12 and 15 so it's taken a while grin

daisydoodoo Thu 18-Apr-13 17:31:24

I usually wait for the lloyd grossman ones to be on offer for £1 and stock up.

I have fussy children so while I like making my own curries they like the creamier ones.

Ideas here for jazzing up a jar of curry sauce. Seems I'd done 2 of them without thinking?

I could thin those with milk or cream daisy.

They're cheap compared to most curry sauces aren't they? I've only really bought Meena and the odd Lloyd G. Meena are around £2 mark.

MrsBucketxx Wed 17-Apr-13 21:22:54

yes all the time they are lovely.

well worth it :D

daisydoodoo Wed 17-Apr-13 21:22:42

We've only used the korma and tikka massala and both were horrible. Too thick and gloopy.

I think I'll stock up on the hot ones too although don't really have room but they're so nice. Or at least that one was am sure the others are too?

foryonisonly Wed 17-Apr-13 21:10:43

No but I might on your recwink

I had one in from our last Aldi shop so thought I'd use it up yesterday as was short on time. I do like to cook a curry from scratch usually as haven't found many jars that are nice. Meena are though.

Anyway, used this and was shocked how lush it was. I made some lemon pilau rice to go with it and it was so delicious. I did add a tiny bit of vinegar and some fresh coriander to the curry but that's all.

Dp was well impressed too. He's not over keen on straying far from Morrison's (staff dissy) but I have got him to Aldi a few times lately. He loves shopping. It's a chore for me but I like Aldi.
So we'll be going there Friday to get more of these and some of the hot ones.
Dupiaza is the one I used but am going to try the others too.

Has anyone else tried them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now