How can I earn some extra money?

(21 Posts)
SwishSwoshSwoosh Sat 11-May-13 09:26:52

Also, if you do shift work, could you temp on days off? A single day of extra work at minimum wage is quite lucrative compared to many things like catalogues etc.

You might need to clear it with your main job (check your contract) but this is usually a formality.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Sat 11-May-13 09:24:55

I agree with babysitting, dog walking, house sitting - people really need reliable people, if you know lots of people locally then you can get friends to pass on details.

Also, you turned your nose up at ironing, but you could teach yourself how to do that in a couple of hours and it is very flexible.

Basically, if you really need money you need to do what people will pay you to do whether you enjoy it or not!

Xenia Sat 11-May-13 07:59:08

I marked exam papers - it used to pay for our summer holidays at one stage. Also paid writing/speaking for extra money.

As someone mentioned above look at peopleperhour as work is available there in various categories.

IHateSafeStyle Sat 11-May-13 07:03:22

I think babysitting would be a good way, you can build up people that use you and around your current work. Could even do something else whilst your there and earn twice?

meddie Tue 07-May-13 17:36:57

I started matched betting/sports arbitrage last year and have earned around 6.5k in a year. has been a fun and profitable hobby.

specialsubject Mon 22-Apr-13 16:04:39

proofreading seems simple but is not, and realistically amateurs can no longer do it. Elance, Textbroker, peopleperhour etc - good luck getting any assignments and if you do, the pay is peanuts if you ever get it.

The surveys are about £2 an hour and vaguely worth it if done in spare time.

dotnet Mon 22-Apr-13 06:19:55

Rent a room out through the rent a room scheme. You can take £4,250 a year in rent, I think it is, tax free - which works out at just over £80 a week. If you can't cope with the idea of the loss of privacy, maybe you could advertise your spare room for a limited time only - say 'available for one to three months' , for example. Then you will know you'll get your normal life back soon.

domesticslattern Sun 21-Apr-13 22:52:36

If you own your home and have a spare room take a look at Air B&B.
Babysitting?

janji Sun 21-Apr-13 22:46:28

Bump!

buildingmycorestrength Sun 21-Apr-13 22:43:34

Oh, also check out the MN freelance board, some ideas on there.

Paid surveys aren't going to make you rich, but certainly keep me in Amazon vouchers and PayPal money.
Valued Opinions, Ipsos, MySurvey, Toluna etc. are decent ones.
If you're any good at sewing you could do alterations, or sew in name labels or scout badges.

buildingmycorestrength Sat 20-Apr-13 20:42:51

I used to gt proofreading work for friends when I worked in publishing but maybe there is something similar? From a quick search online it looks like you might have to qbe qualified although none of ours were.Sorry.

Have you tried looking on things like elance? Freelance jobs boards, basically. Worth checking.

Madratlady Sat 20-Apr-13 19:51:02

I don't iron my own clothes, I certainly couldn't do a good enough job of someone else's. Proofreading sounds interesting though, how do you find work doing that and what does it actually involve?

buildingmycorestrength Sat 20-Apr-13 15:29:39

What about taking in ironing or doing proofreading?

FoxyM Fri 19-Apr-13 12:50:32

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Madratlady Thu 18-Apr-13 09:37:12

noisytoys I already work full time and it's shift work so it'd be very difficult to fit in a regular cleaning job.

bucking I'd need money to buy the stuff in the first place. Currently I don't know how I'm going to pay the bills so that's probably a no go. I'm selling some of my old stuff though.

buckingfollocks Wed 17-Apr-13 22:13:10

Maybe you could buy stuff to sell on Ebay. I made about £500 a couple of years ago by buying bay stuff from car boots then selling them on Ebay. If you don't have a car boot nearby, you could buy stuff on Ebay that has been badly listed/ with a poor photo/ that is local pick up only then take better pics and maybe offer postage - could make some money that way but is quite time consuming and a bit of a faff

noisytoys Wed 17-Apr-13 13:54:33

I work nights cleaning in a supermarket. Some of the cleaners only work from 2 hours a day it is an extra few £'s

Madratlady Wed 17-Apr-13 10:03:43

I thought that putting catalogues/leaflets through doors might be a good idea but i'm not sure how to get that kind of work.

I'm also thinking of advertising in the village shop as someone who will look after people's small pets while they are away. i couldn't do dog walking as a regular thing but i could do 'one off' walks like if someone only needed their dog walking for one day. Not sure how many people would want to pay for rabbit/guinea pig/hamster care though.

ratbagcatbag Wed 17-Apr-13 09:45:53

I found Avon easy tobe fair, drop a book off, go collect it, no real selling involved, but very hit or miss on how much you earn.
Delivering catalogues, selling stuff on local fb pages (not ebay now due to postage), cleaning for people!?!?

Madratlady Wed 17-Apr-13 09:43:12

I work full time but due to debts and some unforseen expenses we're paying out more than we earn each month. There's nothing left to cut back on so I want to earn some extra money as well as selling some old stuff to dig us out of this financial hole so we can start living to the budget I've worked out.

I'm no good at selling so Avon or Ann Summers parties etc is out and I work shifts so it'd have to be something I could fit around that.

Does such a source of income (flexible ad-hoc work) exist?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now