Selling stuff

(9 Posts)
jenduck Mon 15-Apr-13 16:02:42

Hi. We are due to move house in about 6 weeks time (if all goes smoothly) & so have had a big clearout of our loft.

There are all manner of things that we no longer use that I am trying to sell, from ladies clothes, to a baby carrier, to camping equipment & much more.

Does anybody have any ideas where I can sell these things? I have put them on Gumtree, on the 'For Sale' section here & on local Facebook selling pages, and am having some success, but there is so much more to go!

Also could really do with the money at the moment as DH is between contracts - his next one will start in 2 weeks hopefully, but it will be the best part of a month before he gets paid sad

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 15-Apr-13 20:29:31

A card in the post office?

Are there any good car boot fairs nearby? The best place to get rid of random stuff in large quantities!

jenduck Tue 16-Apr-13 10:46:24

We don't really have any local Post Offices, except the big one in town, but I will try cards in the newsagents, good idea.

Am reluctant to do a car boot sale as IME you get very little compared to what you would get elsewhere. Eg I recently sold a pair of DS1's old shoes (Clarks) & got £3 for them, but at car boot sale I have only got £1 for similar shoes. Multiply this by lots of items & it soon adds up!

DH had the idea of doing a house sale, when we are more or less ready to move, what do you think? Just put up a poster inviting people, display everything we want rid of & take offers for it.

takeaway2 Tue 16-Apr-13 10:50:31

think a housesale would be a good idea. But you need to put up lots of adverts to draw people!!

awkwardsis Tue 16-Apr-13 10:55:54

That's a good idea but you risk having a lot of stuff left to take with you! I moved last year and did just this- I found Gumtree to be the best bet, in a lot of my adverts, especially for the baby things, I made it clear that some free stuff would be thrown in too- so any toys I could clear out went with the pram, baby clothes ditto. If you have space and are on a decent main road, I'd be tempted to lay everything on the front garden (assuming youhave one) and man a kind of stall there on a nice day. People round here seem to hang things up in their windows to sell too, and lovely children's clothes seem to be snapped up in a few days. And with that, as well as Gumtree, underprice. I figured space was at a premium in the moving van and any money I made selling cheap rather than taking unnecessary crap with me was a bonus.

jenduck Tue 16-Apr-13 11:14:49

Unfortunately we are on a walkway where only residents really pass our house. I could perhaps pop a card in newsagents re house sale & also ask to make an announcement at toddler groups.

Ultimately, if stuff really won't shift I will send it to charity shops & clothes to cash for clothes, but reluctant to do that as they only pay about £8 per sack & there is some really nice stuff!

nannyl Tue 16-Apr-13 14:29:36

eBay?

jenduck Tue 16-Apr-13 15:11:34

nannyl I have been burned by this before! People giving negative feedback on items because they had marks which were clearly described in the listing! Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now