Who has a landline?

(17 Posts)
ivykaty44 Mon 15-Apr-13 11:40:56

Do people still have landlines? Or have a lot of people got rid of landlines and have only mobile phones?

i know some areas of the country you can't have internet without a landline but there are a lot of places where you do not need a landline to gain access to internet

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 15-Apr-13 11:45:47

We have a landline. Mobile reception isn't great here (nor is our landline but that's a whole 'nother story) and we can't get broadband without one.

LondonJax Mon 15-Apr-13 11:46:21

I've still got one. Two reasons. Our signal can sometimes cut out and our son has a heart problem so we need something reliable at home just in case. And my mum, who's in her eighties, only has a landline (god forbid she gets a mobile with her hearing problems!) and it'd cost her a fortune to speak to me if she were phoning a mobile every time she wanted a natter. Other than that, we probably wouldn't bother.

I got rid of ours last year. Herts so we have fibre optic internet and mobiles on 2 different networks (just in case there's a problem).

I was fed up of paying £15+ a month to be harrassed with PPI/Windows/Accident scams.

RugBugs Mon 15-Apr-13 11:50:08

We don't have one (live in a fibre optic area for broadband).

If we weren't planning on moving in the next year I'd be investigating if it was cheaper to pay line rental + standard broadband rather than the £22.50 a month we pay virgin for their not-so-reliable service.

nannynick Mon 15-Apr-13 11:50:12

Have one. Pay for it anually as cheaper that way. Have it with PlusNet who I use for broadband, rarely make chargable calls.

nannynick Mon 15-Apr-13 12:04:55

Line costs me £126 a year, includes VAT and evening+weekend calls (usual conditions apply such as redial after 59 mins).
Then FTTC broadband at average 70mbps costs me £20 a month.
Then mobile phone costs me £14 a month.
So still costly but not as bad as it could be.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 15-Apr-13 12:17:48

Then FTTC broadband at average 70mbps

Weeping with envy.

nannynick Mon 15-Apr-13 13:41:23

Used to get 512kbps, then 1mb, then BT put in the big green box and it all then went a lot faster. Surrey village, not that rural but long way from exchange.

Pity a landline is still neede for broadband in many areas, wonder if OpenReach will ever change that?

MisselthwaiteManor Mon 15-Apr-13 13:49:26

We have one for the broadband, but the phone is unplugged most of the time because 90% of calls are spam or my MIL so we only plug it in when we want to make outgoing calls. It's cheaper than using our mobiles, we only keep our mobiles for emergencies.

MyDaydream Mon 15-Apr-13 13:53:33

We have one for Internet but I don't answer it during the day unless I'm expecting a call since its all wrong numbers or sales calls. The only people who call us on it are FIL and BIL who don't get free minutes but get free evening calls on their landline. The only call I make on it is to my mobile when I've forgotten where I've put it down.

specialsubject Mon 15-Apr-13 21:44:10

I do, much cheaper than mobile. Caller ID so don't answer 'unavailable'. With 10GB a month broadband and unlimited all day landline calls, £26 a month inc line rental. Does fine for us.

2 x Tesco PAYG mobiles, £10 to buy and about £30 a year on credit. Don't need mobile internet.

SquigglePigs Mon 15-Apr-13 22:12:42

We have it for the internet. The only person who calls us on it is a friend in America as calling our mobiles is too expensive. We schedule those calls so pretty much ignore it the rest of the time.

steppemum Mon 15-Apr-13 22:25:55

we have a landline. We have basic mobiles, and don't internet etc on them.
For us it is much cheaper to have a landline.

But we both work from home, so don't need the mobile internet.

I always give out landline number to people and use it by choice to phone when at home. It is free to call my friend in London and my mum on landline, and doesn't use up battery time!

usualsuspect Mon 15-Apr-13 22:38:07

I have a landline,my mum calls me on it.far too expensive for her to call me on my mobile. I would choose a landline over a mobile to make calls and get annoyed if people only have mobile nos.

I only have a payg mobile's don't get loads of free minutes,I do get free calls after 6 on my landline.

ihearsounds Mon 15-Apr-13 22:45:49

Yes I do. I call freephone which are not free on mobile (unless its recently changed). It's also good for when I've gone over my mobile minutes, which even though i have loads, it happens. Plus I can call friends and family all over the world for free smile as not everyone has net/skype.

specialsubject Tue 16-Apr-13 13:44:37

BTW I only ever give the mobile number on websites etc. That means it is the one most likely to get the crooks and scammers, and that's not a problem because I a) live in a dead spot and b) turn it off when I'm at home!

nb you can put credit on skype and call any landline in the world for a penny a minute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now