Austere April - Frugaleers continue to the next quarter!

(401 Posts)
Leilandri Thu 28-Mar-13 20:44:23

Come and join us for another frugal/thrifty/down-right stingy month! wink

lizardqueenie Thu 04-Apr-13 16:40:57

Welcome Buffty & thank you for that art pass- brilliant!

AdoraBell Thu 04-Apr-13 22:49:27

NSDgrin

TinyDiamond Fri 05-Apr-13 00:53:16

1/16 finally grin

IsThatTrue Fri 05-Apr-13 04:14:08

Only spent on milk yest. Today will be a NSD unless something goes drastically wrong.

Food shop for me today, got to get enough to last 10 days until payday confused and here is me trying to be frugal! angry

Pluto Fri 05-Apr-13 09:50:14

Making a big chilli today - at least one for the freezer and one for this evening. The freezer one will be good for that last week before payday!

Rosvita Fri 05-Apr-13 12:21:31

Just thought I'd update as had a spendier week than I'd hoped for oops!next week of Easter hols is going to have to involve very cheap or preferably free activities.this week kids have been thoroughly spoilt with bowling (half price),soft play with climbing wall session (discounted) and country park (free but £7.50 to park and a coffee).hoping free parks,baking,homework and DVD days will see us through next week.stupidly spent money on 3 Xmas presents (half price) and 2 disney DVDs (bogof) today but should only need to spend about £50 max on food to get us through til 21st when I can spend again.having a girls night in with pizza/nibbles/DVDs tonight so should be a good but cheap night.have money put aside for night out next fri but debating whether to drive to save money or not to go at all and save all the money...

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 05-Apr-13 12:26:36

2/10 yesterday. done a stock take and keep listing the same 2 tins of chopped tomatoes so yesterday made them in to a delicious pasta sauce with veg, stock and herbs. had some last night and froze enough for 4 meals. Got to do some meal planning now for the week ahead. hope not to buy much at all - milk, bacon, bread, saus and that's it til we need fruit mid week. one dc ill so i have taken my eye of frugaleering. need to refocus. thank god for whomever told me about lidl nappies - probably saved me a fiver with the number i have used in the last few dsys!

been at bit spendy today.

been to costco our 1/4 visit and only spent £200 - we save for this. So that should see us through til July/August.

Thingymajigs Fri 05-Apr-13 13:49:35

I may have vastly underestimated our food budget this month. confused £180 was very ambitious for such a long month with the children home for most of the time. I did a monthly shop in Aldi on Wednesday £79 and spent £31 in Tesco today for items I couldn't get in Aldi. That doesn't leave much to last the rest of the month. However, I have all the ingredients for a months worth of meal plans so the only things we need to buy are dairy, fruit and veg as and when. This will require a huge amount of willpower though. I'm cautiously optimistic that I can manage it if I avoid shops and recipe books.
How do you go about creating a budget? Does it change each month?

I wondered that too Thing...i put a post and some people take 200 a week out as spends confused i dont have 200 a week lol. Afer food shopping we probably have about 60 in bank hmm

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 05-Apr-13 15:16:19

Today is a NSD finally.

We're having the external woodwork painted today and tomorrow, it is costing £280. Really needs doing though, no point saving money and letting the house fall apart else things will start costing £XXXXs to fix.

MamaTo2FabBoys Fri 05-Apr-13 18:36:44

We had a nice wee day at the park and then had a friend visiting so nsd number 3. 3/12

IsThatTrue Fri 05-Apr-13 19:16:36

NSD 3 today. Went to friends to play dcs not me and have lunch. Felt mean to turn up empty handed, I normally buy wine, but being frugal I raided the cupboards and made a chocolate cake with butter icing smile still have 1/3 left for the weekend.

I did joke about using our Easter money for a takeaway but I should really cook, I'm just being lazy.

Does anybody know the best ISA rates for tax year 2013/2014? I need to start looking into it now my rates gone down to 0.25% sad

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 05-Apr-13 21:30:42

Moneysavingexpert will have all the rates on their site.

Leilandri Fri 05-Apr-13 22:46:18

NSD on Thursday. 69p today on Friday donut habit grin
DH is getting paid some of the money that his company owe him tomorrow, in cash, so need to go to the bank and pay that in. Have gone over our overdraft limit thanks to their fuckup so am currently being charged £5 a day sad I shall be charging this back to his company as I am fuming angry
Just have to avoid going into any shops while I'm up town!

Have sold £21.70 worth of kids bits on local FB page, with another £5 coming tomorrow. Will re-invest £2 into some bits for DS's Bday in June, and save the rest towards days out in Summer hols.

Had a good day on eBay yesterday, I made about £16 after postage and packaging, not too bad! The kids made £53 shock they sold some old games and books to buy Skylanders, which i found for £35. So hopefully we wont need to go out for the next few weeks grin Didn't get food shopping yesterday, so was a NSD smile (i dont count the skylanders as not my money). Got to go today though, enough lentil soup to last us today and tomorrow smile

Pluto Sat 06-Apr-13 10:03:56

Will be a NSD no 2 for me today. Have all I need in the fridge and cupboards. Going to treat myself to a trip to the garden centre though as I was given some vouchers for my birthday.

DH has taken the DSs to visit DGPs. They won't be back until Monday eve. I am planning a mega blitz and declutter in the house and seeing what we can try to sell at upcoming car boot.

Oooh car boot season is upon us smile

Spent £61.46 at Tesco. Used my shopping list, and have everything i need for meals up to and including 15th smile fingers crossed! Obviously, will need to get milk and bread but hopefully nothing else.

IsThatTrue Sat 06-Apr-13 12:51:36

Right today I have my bi weekly asda shop and bits to do in town including a new duvet as ds2 had a poosplosion over ours this morning and it is non recoverable. Shall be as frugal as possible.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 06-Apr-13 13:38:12

I've just signed up to loveil.com via topcashback, I've applied to them to match quidcos offer of £18.

I just have to watch 2 hours of streamed telly so I'm watching despicable me. As you do when you're an adult blush hmm

IsThatTrue Sat 06-Apr-13 13:57:02

Despicable me is awesome, number 2 comes out in cinema in July, I might have to take dcs! grin

Leilandri Sat 06-Apr-13 21:54:02

Spent £6 in poundland today - £2 on Bday pressy for DS's friend and £4 on pirate bits for DS1's Bday in June.
£1.50 in charity shop for next-size-up jeans for DS1
£4 on snack in café as DS's had been so good around town
£8 on top-up shop in Morrisons.

MamaTo2FabBoys Sun 07-Apr-13 07:20:10

We are lucky to be going away for the week to my mums caravan with family today. We have done a large shop and have all put money into a purse so I shouldn't have to spend anything else while im away. Yeepee, this will work out cheaper than being at home as I wont have to do any day trips ,use gas or electric etc. Hope everyone has a cheap week.

Thatsinteresting Sun 07-Apr-13 09:53:25

Week in a caravan sounds lovely. We were away over Easter and had a really good time and only spent about £25. This week is going to be lots of trips to the park/library and may be a few craft afternoons if I can face it.
I've just used the last of my milk powder and sugar to make a loaf. I have £4.33 of my revised, self imposed groceries budget to last until Friday. I will need some more milk but think I'll get sugar too. Really pleased that the end of the pay month is in sight and I've still got enough to feed us all until then. I will sit down tomorrow night and do next months meal plan.
I've put some stuff on ebay but with the increase in postage I'm not sure how much will sell. Our local fb pages are awful so if things don't move on ebay I might try the other parenting site.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now