Lidl

(10 Posts)
MatureUniStudent Wed 27-Mar-13 20:11:39

DC was ill so couldn't go, but bought basics and essentials range on line, thanks to the advice on here. Will get to Lidl one day!

MERLYPUSS Wed 27-Mar-13 11:22:19

I do Lidls and Aldis too. Some stuff is much cheaper (although if you buy basics it wont be). Cheaper than branded. I buy ketchup, mayo etc, milk, eggs, flour, spread, jam (in square pot like luxury branded), fruit and veg, loo roll, meat and sliced meat, crisps and yoghurts. I find Aldi better but that's because I get more stuff there.

jenbird Tue 26-Mar-13 20:34:54

I find that with lidl you have to know how to shop there. I save about £40 on my shop compared to Morrisons. There are some items I know I won't get but as long as I am organised I can buy them on a monthly basis. Their none branded cereals are great and far cheaper and generally I find their fruit and veg great too.

chanie44 Mon 25-Mar-13 19:15:40

My sister called me up today all excited having been to lidl for the first time in years. She was very impressed with how far her money went.

I try and go to lidl before going to asda as I find my money goes further that way.

MatureUniStudent Mon 25-Mar-13 18:24:23

Thank you both for your comments - I haven't seen an Aldi where I live, but thought I might try Lidl for some veggies and fruit.

silverangel Mon 25-Mar-13 14:04:51

I went to Lidl for the first time on Saturday, there was British meat - mince (which was tractor logo and very tasty) and pork - but the ham / sausages / cold meats etc were European.

To be honest either we have a bad branch or it just isnt very good. Got a couple of bargains - baby wipes for £1 but not enough to warrant the trip to a different supermarket.

Going to try Aldi next week and see if its any better.

lljkk Mon 25-Mar-13 10:31:08

ps: you may feel you're earning money for free, but you tend to pay more on the item in the first place because Amex only rebates to you because they charge more to retailers to process their payments, so retailer has to raise their prices to make a decent profit margin, nothing in life is free.

lljkk Mon 25-Mar-13 10:29:44

Debit cards only, no Amex.
Lots of red tractors, you will find some British meat at least.

MatureUniStudent Mon 25-Mar-13 10:17:03

Oh and the reason I use the American Express credit card, is because it is a Cash Back card and so far in the three months I have had it, I have earnt £46 foc. (I pay back the credit used each week).

Very proud that I have earnt money for doing nothing!

MatureUniStudent Mon 25-Mar-13 10:14:36

I have noticed that on one of my weekly journeys there is a Lidl in the town I go through. I haven't shopped in a Lidl, and wondered if they take American Express (can't find the answer on the web).

Do you need to take your own shopping bags?

And I am always concerned that I can source British meat (ex veggie so welfare concerns). Does Lidl have European meat or will it stock British meat? Thinking ham etc.

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now