Cheap hot snacks - Let's make a list of them.

(58 Posts)
CuriousMama Tue 12-Mar-13 16:10:20

Thanks to the thread asking for cheap snacks I've had the idea of listing recipes for them on here. Probably been done before though?

Mine is the potato fritters

Makes 2 decent sized.

1 baking potato or any medium sized. 1 egg. 1 spring onion or veg of choice (mushrooms/peppers etc..) seasoning. Herbs of choice. I use corriander or parsley.

Grate potato. Put grated potato in the middle of a teatowel then squeeze out the excess moisture. Put potato back on a dish. Add finely chopped veg, herbs, beaten egg and seasoning, mix well. Heat up frying pan. Fry in a little oil or no oil. Cook to desired size, this makes 2 for me but could make 4 small or 1 very large. Eat as a snack or a side dish.

CuriousMama Thu 14-Mar-13 13:12:04

You can cook those and other types and freeze too which saves time.

I have a milk-allergic DS, so we stick with plain breads (although toasted value malt loaf goes down well)

LineRunner Thu 14-Mar-13 16:34:50

Rice salad - just for Gwynneth lets use brown rice -

So, cooked rice, cooled, with added chopped-up tomato, cucumber, various chopped left overs (anything from grapes to grated carrot), topped with any kind of dressing.

Nice served in small pots/bowls.

CuriousMama Thu 14-Mar-13 16:37:37

My dss love rice.

WildThong Thu 14-Mar-13 16:43:23

Just found this thread, great ideas!
Re the frozen burritos, can you do them with meat or would that not freeze/reheat?

notso Thu 14-Mar-13 18:48:35

I was wondering that too WildThong was thinking it would be a good way to use leftover chilli con carne.

CuriousMama Thu 14-Mar-13 19:22:50

As long as they're reheated fully then don't see why not?

Stacks Wed 20-Mar-13 12:49:41

Some great tips here - thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now