A girl called Jack, budget recipes!

(31 Posts)
serin Sun 10-Mar-13 21:32:13

This blog was linked to by (?Moondog) on another thread and has really inspirational budget recipes.

The woman who writes it manages to eat fairly well on £10 a week for her and a toddler.

ArtemisatBrauron Thu 16-May-13 08:00:08

Fairy I think you're being unnecessarily critical - it's not about aspiring to her lifestyle, I don't think anyone could read a post like "hunger hurts" and think that they wanted a bit of that themselves!
What is inspirational about Jack is that she made such an effort to keep cooking healthy food with veggies etc in it even though she didn't have a lot of money. So many people claim that healthy food is too expensive etc.
Also, even though I am not living on £10 a week I really, really need to economize, pay off debts and start saving for my future, so yes, I will copy her cheap and healthy recipes and I see nothing wrong with that.

Rather than stand around lamenting the state of things in this country and criticizing others I prefer to get on with life and start solving the issues I face, using whatever resources I can find to do so.

danebury Thu 23-May-13 07:13:35

When she's eating a jam/lemon curd sandwich for lunch, she's on her LBL project: living below the line at £5 a week. She's incredibly versatile.

Also, re chickpeas. With a slow cooker you don't need to soak. I chuck them in in the morning with onions, garlic, tomatoes, water, frozen veg and anything else I can think of - plus seasoning and herbs or spices. We come home to a gorgeous stewy thing. Only dd and I will eat it, mind, but it's lush.

Raaraathenoisybaby Fri 24-May-13 21:51:18

I have just cried reading the hunger hurts post.
Noisy toys how is she getting on? Book deal? I would like to send her something. hmm

KandyBarr Sun 26-May-13 20:33:36

I don't think she's a story plant - did you read her ost on Thatcher? It said she 'despised her politics.

KandyBarr Sun 26-May-13 20:34:17

Tory - not story

Raaraathenoisybaby Sun 26-May-13 21:17:39

I read reams of her blog in the end. It was very sobering indeed but v inspiring too to spend less money.
Tory plant my arse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now