Cheap meal making for people who live alone

(28 Posts)
StuffezLaBouche Sun 10-Mar-13 09:10:04

I've been reading some of the fantastic bidet meal threads on here because I want some fresh ideas for food without spending too much.
I've priced though that there's loads of ideas that work well with families but that wouldn't work so well for people whole alone.
I adore cooking but really get sick of eating the same pot of food for three nights running or de-frosting and re-heating.

Some thing it's easy to just make a single portion of, but I find I end up chucking quite a bit of food, which I really hate. I guess it doesn't help I learned most of my cooking from my mum who was always cooking for six! (Massive stews, pies and roasts are my speciality!)

Anyone else live on their own and like to make a list of meal ideas with me?

1 Spanish omelette with crusty bread
2 salmon/cod with home made salt and chilli wedges
3 roast chicken, of which the leftovers can make
4 chicken pie and
5 chicken soup
6 fish/rice/hard boiled egg concoction

nannyl Tue 09-Apr-13 14:01:25

how about just getting some foil trays, and making a normal meal, then freeze 2 or 3 portions......
so you can have the same meal again but weeks later, and not get bored of it

poshme Wed 10-Apr-13 14:21:26

Potato bake- slice as many potatoes as you will eat in one meal (about £1 coin thickness) and any other veg eg a mushroom, half a leek/ carrot etc Put in oven dish and pour over half tin mushroom soup. Grate cheese on top. Bake for about an hour (keep eye out for top browning)
Eat rest of soup for lunch the next day.

paneer Mon 15-Apr-13 23:41:48

Eggs in purgatory my new fave dish

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now