Where's the cheapest place to buy household goods? Toilet roll, cleaning stuff etc

(36 Posts)
JudithOfThePeace Fri 08-Mar-13 16:52:48

Are branded items always best?

Where's the cheapest place to buy cleaning materials, washing powder/capsules etc?

I'm doing well economising with food, but am sure I could do better with these items!

Any advice, O wise ones?!

Dereksmalls Tue 23-Apr-13 02:01:02

Waitrose have starting selling Nicky, their buyer must be a MNer

Littleredant Sun 21-Apr-13 18:42:32

Gosh, might try Nicky loo roll then. Tho' if it's won an award I'll have to beat off the crowds!!

Like many others I'm a Home Bargains and Wilkos girl for many household cleaning items. Can't go wrong really.

Yonihadtoask Sun 21-Apr-13 15:59:11

Lidl for washing up liquid and dishwash tabs. Also Sainsburys basics dishwash tabs are excellent.

Lidl also for shower gels, handwash, soaps etc.

Home Bargains is good for lots of stuff - as is Wilkinsons.

I only ever buy toilet roll from Costco though, as it is pretty good value - may not be always cheaper than others, but the rolls are longer and good quality - so it lasts us longer than supermarket quality toilet rolls.

although the Nicky toilet roll from Home Bargains says it is fragranced it doesnt really smell (I was worried about that too when I first bought it)

BastardDog Sun 21-Apr-13 15:56:32

fluffycloudland77 what a good idea.

notapizzaeater Sun 21-Apr-13 15:54:46

I'm sure we've had plain Nicky - it won a superscrimper award this week as best value and was up against Andrex and other brands ,,,,

Littleredant Sun 21-Apr-13 15:51:44

I've noticed Nicky toilet roll in Home Bargains but have been put off as it seems to have aloe vera and other fragrances. Does anyone know if they've got an un-perfumed version?

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 21-Apr-13 08:58:38

Tesco daisy dw powder, one box lasts me 10-11 months if I use one dessert spoon per wash.

I spray the inside of cups with sp bleach though.

If you want cheap and bunny approved go to the co-op, they are BUAV approved for all the own brand products.

SaigonSaigon Sat 20-Apr-13 21:41:17

Which did a dishwasher tabs survey and Tesco Value range came out tops as they were as good as Finish but a lot cheaper. I usually get those or any other cheapies, using the same rationale!

dementedma Sat 20-Apr-13 21:32:56

Aldi washing up liquid and washing powder tabs are great. Surface spray stuff is good too

jgjgjg Sun 10-Mar-13 20:37:12

Costco if you can get membership or go with someone that has a card. The quality is really good and their kitchen rolls are at least 1/3rd bigger than supermarket brands. You do need some storage space though as things are mostly sold in large packs.

IamMummyhearmeROAR Sun 10-Mar-13 18:42:50

Tesco's Daisy dishwasher tabs are good- most times I break them in half. Daisy bin bags are also fine. I get Nicky toilet roll in Farmfoods and agree its as good as luxury brands

LittleFriendSusan Sun 10-Mar-13 12:40:16

Home bargains for toilet roll, shampoo & conditioner, toilet cleaner, freezer bags, bin liners. Savers or Bodycare for toothpaste & hand wash, hairspray, glasses wipes for DD. Wilkinsons for any of the above when they have offers on, also disposable gloves. Aldi / lidl for laundry powder & washing up liquid. Tesco Daisy dishwasher items (big box of powder, rinse aid, salt). Never buy from major supermarkets unless some mega deal on (apart from the dishwasher stuff).

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 09-Mar-13 14:39:42

I use bubble bath watered down for pump soap, 80p in sainsburys has lasted us since December for all hand washing and showers.

JudithOfThePeace Fri 08-Mar-13 23:18:44

God, you lot are brilliant.

I have a Home Bargains quite ner and easily accessible. There is a Wilkinson's bearish, but it's a bitch to park near. There's a 99p shop and a Poundland in town, but I couldn't get really bulky items easily there. I have an Aldi near, but not a Lidl.

Thanks everyone.

I get the Nicky toilet rolls from Home Bargains too - £3.99 for an 18 pack

specialsubject Fri 08-Mar-13 21:42:51

Wilkinsons for dishwasher tabs and salt - about £1.50 each pack and LOADS in it.

regarding brands - things in the same shaped bottle are the same thing as they are all made at the same plant. So look for the supermarket brand in the same shaped bottle as the one at eye level.

for bargains in supermarkets, look low or high. Never buy anything that is advertised or has a photo on it. You are paying for the ad, not the product.

notso Fri 08-Mar-13 21:08:01

Another Nicky toilet roll fan, it's great and I know a really annoying Nicky so satisfying too.

Bunbaker Fri 08-Mar-13 21:06:21

Do you have a Quality save near you? Or JTF? Or a 99p shop?

landofsoapandglory Fri 08-Mar-13 20:55:10

Wilkinsons do Nicky toilet roll, too and it is excellent. It is far better than Andrex. The toilet roll from Lidl that has pink flowers on is fab too.

Lidl's Formil washing powder in a big box is really cheap and brilliant for getting out stains.

Lidl bathroom cleaner is 65p.

Lidl dishwasher tablets are £2 something for 30.

A massive bottle of bleach is really cheap.

We go to HomeBargains sometimes too.

On another point, Lidl's liquid soap is 59p and is really, really good especially the Aloe Vera one. The Cien basic shampoo is good to and is about 70p.

peppertree Fri 08-Mar-13 20:47:51

ooops! meant value tescos kitchen roll as well as the loo roll!

peppertree Fri 08-Mar-13 20:46:38

tesco for value loo roll,6 double rolls less than£2,very good quality
tesco for value loo roll
aldi for their washing up liquid,dishwasher tablets.....best i have ever tried,
aldi for baby wipes,soap powder,fabric conditioner,bleach, all excellent

StuffezLaBouche Fri 08-Mar-13 19:53:36

I go to savers for my washing machine liquid stuff. £3 for a big bottle of lovely Bold. Savers is great all round actually.
Might have a look in Home bargains tomorrow too actually!

Thatsinteresting Fri 08-Mar-13 19:32:20

Another vote for HomeBargains. Nicky toilet roll is really good quality and only £2 for 9 rolls. Whizz mould and mildew remover does a good job with very little effort. Stardrops give taps a great shine.

Aldi dishwasher tablets and washing powder are supposed to be really good but I haven't tried them yet. I've bought some of their stain remover today so I'll let you know how that goes.

I usually buy brand washing up liquid from pound shop or Tesco when it's on a really good offer.

soaccidentprone Fri 08-Mar-13 17:59:00

I buy tesco double length toilet rolls. a pack of 6 can last up to 2 weeks (depending on who's here etc)

I also use soap nuts for washing the clothes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now