Where's the cheapest place to buy household goods? Toilet roll, cleaning stuff etc

(36 Posts)
JudithOfThePeace Fri 08-Mar-13 16:52:48

Are branded items always best?

Where's the cheapest place to buy cleaning materials, washing powder/capsules etc?

I'm doing well economising with food, but am sure I could do better with these items!

Any advice, O wise ones?!

jgjgjg Sun 10-Mar-13 20:37:12

Costco if you can get membership or go with someone that has a card. The quality is really good and their kitchen rolls are at least 1/3rd bigger than supermarket brands. You do need some storage space though as things are mostly sold in large packs.

dementedma Sat 20-Apr-13 21:32:56

Aldi washing up liquid and washing powder tabs are great. Surface spray stuff is good too

SaigonSaigon Sat 20-Apr-13 21:41:17

Which did a dishwasher tabs survey and Tesco Value range came out tops as they were as good as Finish but a lot cheaper. I usually get those or any other cheapies, using the same rationale!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 21-Apr-13 08:58:38

Tesco daisy dw powder, one box lasts me 10-11 months if I use one dessert spoon per wash.

I spray the inside of cups with sp bleach though.

If you want cheap and bunny approved go to the co-op, they are BUAV approved for all the own brand products.

Littleredant Sun 21-Apr-13 15:51:44

I've noticed Nicky toilet roll in Home Bargains but have been put off as it seems to have aloe vera and other fragrances. Does anyone know if they've got an un-perfumed version?

notapizzaeater Sun 21-Apr-13 15:54:46

I'm sure we've had plain Nicky - it won a superscrimper award this week as best value and was up against Andrex and other brands ,,,,

BastardDog Sun 21-Apr-13 15:56:32

fluffycloudland77 what a good idea.

although the Nicky toilet roll from Home Bargains says it is fragranced it doesnt really smell (I was worried about that too when I first bought it)

Yonihadtoask Sun 21-Apr-13 15:59:11

Lidl for washing up liquid and dishwash tabs. Also Sainsburys basics dishwash tabs are excellent.

Lidl also for shower gels, handwash, soaps etc.

Home Bargains is good for lots of stuff - as is Wilkinsons.

I only ever buy toilet roll from Costco though, as it is pretty good value - may not be always cheaper than others, but the rolls are longer and good quality - so it lasts us longer than supermarket quality toilet rolls.

Littleredant Sun 21-Apr-13 18:42:32

Gosh, might try Nicky loo roll then. Tho' if it's won an award I'll have to beat off the crowds!!

Like many others I'm a Home Bargains and Wilkos girl for many household cleaning items. Can't go wrong really.

Dereksmalls Tue 23-Apr-13 02:01:02

Waitrose have starting selling Nicky, their buyer must be a MNer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now