Miserly March? Make plans here...

(427 Posts)
Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 16-Feb-13 20:37:59

I always find the credit crunch threads too late in the month so I starting this now. I get paid Monday 28thFeb and March is a looong month with a few expensive birthdays etc. I want as many nsd as possible and economising tips galore. I noticed Tesco have got 24 Andrex for £8 so that is a start. I also used click and collect today for the first time so saved £6 delivery. Help me prepare - preparation is the key to success.

CremeEggThief Sat 02-Mar-13 16:39:42

£13.78 on some shopping, as I needed more than I thought, and remembered I still hadn't got next door something to say thanks for looking after the cat while we were in Ireland. So over half that figure was on a bottle of wine and a couple of bags of sweets for them.

IsThatTrue Sat 02-Mar-13 19:05:53

Well £12 on fruit and veg from the local grocers stall in town (forced out of his local shop due to high rents angry) that will last the week (I hope) £8.55 in waitrose on bread milk butter and crisps. Then £2.08 on some stuff for my ulcers that aren't healing. So slightly speedier than I expected but not bad.

Oh and I must remember to move money through my bank accounts each month. I have a Halifax reward current account that if £1000 goes in it each month then they pay me £5. The money doesn't have to stay in there or anything so if I move some money back and forwards I get £5 for nothing. Happy days!

Leilandri Sat 02-Mar-13 20:21:56

Spent just over £20 today, got chicken food etc, and got some extra seeds of our favourite veggies, but didn't get the vests that DS2 needs, so that will be more money at some point hmm

Working overtime tomorrow now so that's paid at 1.5x normal rate, nearly £60 smile
Got another 11 hours overtime next week, so I only need a further 10 hours overtime the following week and I'll be able to pay 12 months cartax from overtime money alone grin

AdoraBell Sat 02-Mar-13 22:09:58

Had a slightly spendy day, £22 in the grocers on fruit and a couple of kilos of freshly shelled nuts, from this week's food budget and £19 in the supermarket from next weeks budget. Shouldn't need to top up until midweek.

I'm Defo going to treat myself but I don't yet know how, my £30 is secreted in my wardrobe now, OH doesn't need to know about itwink

HollaAtMeBaby Sat 02-Mar-13 22:31:28

That makes sense Lilleth smile and I think in that case your first instinct to squirrel away the money and not tell your DH was right. Lesson learned! Why does your DH not want to be frugal if money is tight? What a pain.

I have had a low spend day, few grocery bits from poundland this morning and then met a friend for coffee this afternoon. Feeling better about money at the moment - am even going to the dentist (£50) next week after putting it off for MONTHS because there never seemed to be any spare money for it and because I don't like going blush

Helenagrace Sun 03-Mar-13 08:00:10

Currently away on a work conference so not sure what DH has been spending - although he has bought Mothers' Day presentsgrin.

Only bought half shares in two bottles of wine apart from stuff I can claim back so better than I was expecting.

As I'm working now I can't do my monthly Aldi mega shop during the Day so DH will be introduced to the joys of the two trolleys Aldi visit on Saturday!!

We will need some stuff this week but I have the main ingredient for most meals this week in the freezer already.

Thingymajigs Sun 03-Mar-13 08:18:20

You have my complete respect helena. Anyone who can manage two trolleys around Aldi especially during the weekend deserves a medal. I grabbed a single basket and even during the week I was struggling to find room to move.
Last week was far too spendy so I'm hoping to make up for it this coming week. I've got meals planned out for the next 3 weeks and an itinerary of everything in my freezer, fridge and cupboards. There's enough food to last us months. I shouldn't need to shop at all except for potatoes and chicken breasts/thighs.
Last night homemade pizza dough and toppings went down very well and everyone said it was much better than Pizza Hut which is great as it was a third of the price. I've frozen the other half of the dough for another weekend.
I bought ds1's late xmas/birthday present on eBay on Friday (Wii U) only to see new feedback written on Saturday on the sellers account saying he doesn't send the items. I'm now a bit stressed imagining I've just thrown £200 away. sad He hasn't replied to the request for a tracking number but the estimated delivery is Weds.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 03-Mar-13 13:48:10

£48 at aldi today (honestly I do not know how I managed that, I need to go round with a calculator again like I used to).

£20 on summer sandals reduced from £90 on shoeaholics. It's kurt geigers outlet site. I sold a belt on eBay so that pays for them anyway.

Dh has been quoted £220 for our contents ins this year (no building cover needed) but I can get it for £31 by going to aviva via topcashback. I have my car insurance with aviva so you get an extra discount.

Paintyourbox Sun 03-Mar-13 14:56:40

Hi everyone!

NSD today so far, no plans to go anywhere (DP is working so I am catching up on chores)

Managed to do out weekly shop (including follow on milk for DD) for £46 this week! Really pleased as we bought most of it from the local greengrocer, butcher and Asian supermarket. Only £16 was spent in the supermarket (Aldi) and that was stuff we couldn't get elsewhere.

I had a little meltdown on Friday because I am so stressed over money- DP doesn't really understand, sure things are fine now but if I don't have my temp contract renewed at the end of the month we are right up the creek! Anyway we had a really good chat and he has committed to being frugal with me (he even fired up the bread maker we have has for ages and made some loaves so we don't have to buy them from the shops!)

This sounds like a silly question but how do you have an NSD when you go to work? I have to pay my train fare every day so technically that is spending but its always budgeted for and I avoid buying anything else (packed lunch to work etc) so is it an NSD or not?

BoffinMum Sun 03-Mar-13 15:25:37

Llelandri, hand it in to the police, and if nobody claims it, it would be yours after 28 days anyway. Best thing to do.

MavisGrind Sun 03-Mar-13 15:54:01

Hello all, hope you're having a good weekend. NSD day yesterday and only £1.50 today so not a bad start to the month. We've been away for the weeked so quite a lot of driving but I kept my eye on my MPG thingy (my, how technical) and kept my speed down so it hasn't cost me as much in petrol as it should have.

Hoping for at least 3 NSDs this week. Will now go and check up on the thread!

Munchkin08 Sun 03-Mar-13 16:22:54

NSD today finally! Am really going to try to save this month - keep imagining the holiday.

Thingy - I really hope you get the Xbox x

nkf Sun 03-Mar-13 17:08:23

I'm in. Aiming for no spend tomorrow.

Very big spend today as I did a huge shop but now we should only need bread, milk, fruit and veg as top ups and maybe one lot of meat for the whole month.

PaintyourBox
I think you can define your NSD as you wish. I buy my travelcard weekly so I don't count travel costs other than that day. If you are effectively allocating all the travel money each week or month I wouldn't count it each day as well. So I would treat a day with no other spending as a NSD.

IsThatTrue Sun 03-Mar-13 19:31:36

NSD today. And got my overtime paid for this weekend so that's £150 up (almost makes working stupid hours worth it). I'm not going out anywhere mon/tues (other than ds2s injections and the post office but that's work so it gets claimed back) and don't have any bills going out so they should be NSDs.

Weds I need to go to the bank to withdraw the cash from dcs accounts that they owe me (can't transfer from their accounts online anymore hmm) and to open ds2s pocket money and children's ISA (they've brought these in to replace the CTF). And as I'll be in town already I should top up fruit/veg (as needed) and pop into asda for a few things. But my aim is to spend no more than £40 all in all.

Our monthly (now 6 weeks as DH was ill last weekend) trip to Costco will be sat, got to write a proper list so I don't forget things.

Leilandri Sun 03-Mar-13 19:38:00

NSD today smile

Worked overtime so earned £60 too. Had already taken a chicken out to defrost before being asked to work, so I took that to Dmum's today, along with Ds's! And she cooked a delicious roast for us all for when I finished work, we've taken the carcass home again as the leftovers will go into a chick, ham and leek pie on Tues, and the carcass will be frozen to be used as stock at a later date.
So extra money earned, no money spent, yummy dinner cooked, no food wasted AND no dishes to wash = result! grin

pixi2 Sun 03-Mar-13 20:04:02

I will be popping in and out if this (marking my place). If anyone is interested Asda are doing 3 for £5 on quorn products. I have quorn chicken nuggets ( I refuse to let dc eat others), quorn sausages (8 in a pack) and quorn burgers.

DH is away so this will make around 13 meals for 3 of us (cheeseburgers x2, sausage, Yorkshire puddings, mash and fresh veg once, and chicken nuggets with cheesy mash and veg x2). If DH is home the quorn will all go in 3 evening meals. Dc are only 3 and almost 2 so only eat tons when having growth spurts.

I need to build some savings as we have just used them all.

We only have Asda or local shops which are wonderful with fresh produce but expensive. Anything such as pound land, Aldi etc is a fair drive away to town or beyond.

BoffinMum Sun 03-Mar-13 22:26:20

Just to say from about lunchtime tomorrow my Austerity Housekeeping eBook's going to be free for a day again on Amazon. You can read it on any PC, laptop, Kindle, iPhone or iPad. If you do download a free copy, it would be nice if you could leave a review. wink grin

Austerity Housekeeping

AdoraBell Mon 04-Mar-13 01:54:35

Paintyourbox in your position I would count spending over and above the travel costs, much like my petrol - I use it daily but only count it as spent when I fill up. I'm glad DP is on board now.

I had another NSD, and OH would have too except I went a bit weak while out cyclingblush, so he bought snacks and drinks.

Lilleth it could be a bit of denial on your OH's part, you'll get used to not telling about incoming funds soon, just start building up a little nest egg in your account so that he can't get sticky little mits on it.

I want to get a bread maker, when we have money coming in, told OH and he said it's not very cost effectivehmm, I'm going to wait until we move anyway as lot's of things are more expensive here.

IsThatTrue Mon 04-Mar-13 02:05:55

boffin I may just have to dig out my kindle. Thanks for the tip on free event. I shall be sure to review.

Can't sleep, looking at interest rates on savings accounts. hmm

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 04-Mar-13 12:01:58

This thread is moving so fast!

I really feel for those of you with DH's not committing to this. Mine is not great with money but he is on board with me in trying to get the most for our money and not fritter. We want to change his car in the summer which is spurring him on at the moment.

Weekend ended up being a bit spendy. Our day out on Saturday was £39 including lunch, and then yesterday I had to fill my car up at £79 shock and also parking in town £2 and haircuts for the DSs £17 and £5 in Tesco on bread and lunchbox bits.
Today I have spent £9.30 getting my boots reheeled, plus £10.50 in Sainsbury's on squash, wipes, fruit and shower gel because it was half price. Will need to spend another £11 later when I pick up DH's suit from the cleaners.
Really hoping to pack in some NSDs the rest of the week.

today I spent £20 for school dinners/snacks drink. Which normal for Mondays.

ivykaty44 Mon 04-Mar-13 12:25:47

I spent £1.50 yesterday on an expresso.

Today so far £3 for daughter to buy flour and sugar on the way to school as she is making swiss roll and I have a free coffee voucher for starbucks.

I found out that if you get one of their crds and buy load on money to the card each time you pay (I load the correct amount) then after 15 purchases you get a free drink. I put through our drinks one by one so they each count as a purchase. Once you get to 50 purchases you get free syrup and free decafe and free soya - which saves me 70p each drink I havegrin so again every four drinks I get a free drink. Newspaper and food also count.

Leilandri Mon 04-Mar-13 12:52:56

Will be a NSD today. Have spent the morning making enchiladas for tea tonight (and froze half for another night) made chicken, ham and mushroom pie for tea tomorrow night, and have a made a chocolate cake too smile

Got to try to avoid a top-up shop tomorrow, even though we need some bits, as it is a 15% staff discount day on Wednesday, so will try to last out til then wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now