Miserly March? Make plans here...

(427 Posts)
Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 16-Feb-13 20:37:59

I always find the credit crunch threads too late in the month so I starting this now. I get paid Monday 28thFeb and March is a looong month with a few expensive birthdays etc. I want as many nsd as possible and economising tips galore. I noticed Tesco have got 24 Andrex for £8 so that is a start. I also used click and collect today for the first time so saved £6 delivery. Help me prepare - preparation is the key to success.

Leilandri Fri 01-Mar-13 20:23:42

This is very wierd! All of our direct debits etc how now come out of our account, and we still have £153 remaing shock The past year or so, we've been in the horrible position of deciding which debts to pay, and which to 'bounce' that month, and then swapping them around the next month and so on blush
SO nice that we've paid everyone this month, and on time! Still have a cheque to come out for £62.50, but that will still leave money in our account. Will get CHB on Tuesday, so I'm going to squirrel as much of that away as I can towards the car tax at the end of March.

Spent £4.95 today on usual Friday doughnut habit, and fruit to last the weekend.
I have a moral dilemma ladies .. I came home today to an envelope through my door. It had been hand delivered, had my address on but no name, so I opened it. Inside was £270 cash, and a note saying "Payment for invoice No.370. With Thanks" That was it, no name, no forwarding address. So my question is ... do I keep the money?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 01-Mar-13 20:44:30

Is it because of no council tax again this month?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 01-Mar-13 20:47:33

Oh just saw about the money!

Um, it must be tempting to! Difficult if someone comes back for it though and you have to deny all knowledge, not sure if I could.
That is a real moral dilemma. What would you do if you didn't keep it, take it to the police?

stormforce10 Fri 01-Mar-13 20:53:38

Hello again everyone.

March has started well with a NSD.

I need your experience. I've switched from Npower to a fixed deal with Scottish Power but scottish power started supplyng me today. Npower have not taken their direct debit yesterday but have sent me a letter telling me not to cancel DD as they will calculate final payment and take it from account. Anyone know when theyre likely to do this and if they'll notify me first or just take it. Given my experience of npower so far its likely to be huge as all they've ever done is put my payment up and up but still say I owe them money. Very nervous about this.

Leilandri sorry but I'd hand it in to the police. Sounds like someone made a major mistake and when it come to light they are going to know exactly where they left the money so it wouldn;'t look good for you. You may find them knocking on your door and it could get unpleasant if you claim to know nothing about it. At least if you say its at the police station they will hopefully go away to get it. If no one claims it it will be yours anyway.

MavisGrind Fri 01-Mar-13 20:56:04

oooh, Leilandri how strange (both cash left over in the bank and cash shoved through the letterbox grin)

How about keep the cash for a couple of months and then is not claimed keep?? I don't know really - I just wish someone would put such a mystery envelope through my door!

Sorry to hear about the car northender - just think how bad it would be if you weren't being frugal though <not that helpful>

So, spent £50 on petrol, £39 in Aldi and took out the remainder of my food budget in cash so theoretically I shouldn't have to touch my bank account for the rest of the month. If all goes to plan this should leave me about £300 outstanding on my OD rather than the £600-700 it appeared to be before.

We shall see....have a lovely weekend frugaleers!

AdoraBell Fri 01-Mar-13 21:30:58

Lillieth

I have the opposite with my OH, if I underspend on groceries he'll decide on a budget that doesn't allow for toiletries/laundry products.

I've had an NSD, he's bought a full set of ropes for a boat. He was begging asking me to buy him a fancy pants sailing jacket last week and I gave him The Look, today he realised it's £200 - or £50 if he buys it in the UK when he visits soon.

Daffyboobface Fri 01-Mar-13 22:07:28

leilandri I'm with mavis . Leave it by the door for a few months. That way, you're not being dishonest, but if it isn't claimed, it won't just get stuck in the police lost and found (or whatever it is they do with it...round in pub??)

I am slinking in, anyway. I got sucked into the bra thread and have ordered a set in my new size (30 F, who knew?) Was in a discount place recommended on thread, so not overly spendy. Also picked up a jacket and t shirt in h&m for starting work on Monday. All justifiable purchases, but ones that wouldn't have been made if I hadn't exposed myself to shops. Get thee behind me, S&B...

On the plus side, sold a few bits on ebay/gumtree.

Paintyourbox Fri 01-Mar-13 22:25:01

Today wasn't an NSD for me as its food shopping day but managed to get the entire weekly shop (all meals and snacks) for just £46. Really pleased as we bought most of it locally too.

Going to put some more stuff on Gumtree and put the money straight into my ISA.

NSD for me tomorrow!

HollaAtMeBaby Fri 01-Mar-13 22:30:18

You can't keep that money - the note makes it obvious it's not meant for you. I think you should either hand it in to the police as found or keep it until someone comes back for it. Which they will!

frazzled74 Fri 01-Mar-13 22:45:40

count me in please. I did a weekly shop in aldi today and the bi came to £64 including 7 meals for 4, nappies and packed lunch stuff, also bought some bread mixes, meals include joint of lamb, chicken breasts and tuna steaks, pork chops and more that i cant recall without looking, plus a few kids meals for when friends come for tea, (pizzas, fishfingers etc.) We usually spend at least £100 in sainsburys, morrisons and waitrose.

Mumof3men Fri 01-Mar-13 23:00:28

I'm in for this month, I'm in the extremely fortunate position of having received news today that my ppi claim is going to pay out which will clear my credit card (my only debt other than the mortgage), so my worries are finally over.
I've been being frugal since running up the cc bill decorating the house. I need to keep it up though because I finally have several bank accounts set up now for Xmas, car, holiday (I can dream) and emergencies.
I went to Tesco tonight and ended up spending £105!!!! It didn't even really include much 'dinner' food!
I was so cross that I have kept the receipt and when hubby gets paid next (two weeks time) I am going to go and see what the same shopping will cost in Aldi.

AdoraBell Sat 02-Mar-13 00:49:52

Lielandri

I understand it's tempting, but someone thinks they've paid someone and will be chased up when the invoice becomes overdue. I would take it to the local police station and get some kind of receipt to show when and where you handed it over in case the aforementioned payee comes back asking for it.

AdoraBell Sat 02-Mar-13 02:27:15

Ooh, just remembered while posting on the decluttering thread- I found an envelope in my kitchen cupboard. And inside that envelope I found £30!grin

I also have another source of small amounts of money, a swear box. DD2 can be a nightmare and so this week she lost her pocket money. Today she wanted to know what happens to the money in the swear box and I thought - well I can't give it back or spend it on treats because that defeats the object, so I told her it goes towards groceries.

Leilandri Sat 02-Mar-13 09:05:18

Thanks ladies. I'd already convinced myself that I couldn't keep the money, I just needed to hear from others to be sure I wasn't being crazy!! I've spoken to my neighbour (who is a local copper) and he said to keep it at home in a safe place for 6 months, and if not claimed then I can keep it.

Have to go up town today to get a pressie for Dcousins 2nd Bday. Have some bits at home that I can re-gift, but need something small to bulk it out abit, also need wrapping paper and sellotape.
Also need to buy chicken food, grain and sawdust today, and some long-sleeved vests for DS2. Hopefully less than £30 for everything ...

Leilandri Sat 02-Mar-13 09:10:57

Storm regarding Npower - We switched from them to Utility Warehouse in December. I cancelled the DD as I didn't have the money to pay them anyway blush They took 6 weeks to send me my final bill and closing statement, a combined total of nearly £600! I phoned to set up a payment plan via DD, and they said that they are not allowed to keep bank details of customers no longer with them. They have sent me a payment card, and I am paying it off at £50 per month, via a Paypoint outlet.

Adora Well done on finding the money, nice little treat for you. I will remember the swear box for when DS's are older, at only 3 and 1 I hope that will be some years yet before I need it wink

CremeEggThief Sat 02-Mar-13 09:22:35

Glad you've come to a decision, Leilandri. I wonder how long it will take the person to realise they made a mistake?

CremeEggThief Sat 02-Mar-13 09:24:06

Adora, you deserve a little treat with that £30 smile.

stormforce10 Sat 02-Mar-13 10:52:37

shock glad I was sitting down when I read your post Lelilandri. SIX HUNDRED POUNDS!! To be honest it will be worth every penny to get rid of them. All they ever did was put the price up and up and their customer services were abysmal. So far Scottish Power have been a revelation. Polite and helpful. Not that I've started paying them yet when it could all change grin

LillethTheCat Sat 02-Mar-13 11:23:18

Well so much for a NSD today for me.

Went to Parkrun and in my post run euphoria I thought ooh now I get to go home for cake and hot chocolate. Then I realised I didn't buy any cake yesterday so rang DH and asked him if he wanted cake so I popped to the supermarket and spent £4.07. Ive justified it to myself saying that means yesterday's grocery shop was just over £100 which is still less than it usually is.

Still trying to persuade DH to go to Aldi, but Im thinking one step at a time. I will do my weekly shopping at Aldi at some point. Though we are saving up stickers at Tesco for some cookware things. Next week I can afford to buy a pot for £30 (should be £79) and a glass box (for microwaving things) for £1.99. Then after next week I will demand we are going to Aldi.

Im actually really annoyed with myself because my plan was to not really tell DH what money I have (as he just wants to spend spend spend all the time) and I got a cheque from my mum (to pay for DCs passports) and guess what I only went and told him angry Why didn't I keep quiet and put it in my savings? Instead we are buying a TV for our bedroom as our current one is tempormental ATM.

Is it bad that I am wanting to keep quiet about how much money I have? It doesn't feel right, but it means I can save a bit here and there. All I want is some money put aside just in case. Neither me or DH are particularly good with money and what we have all gets spent. So when something breaks we struggle to find money.

Anyway Ive seen a couple of jobs I want to apply for so hopefully one of them will lead somewhere and I will have more money and he'll have less to squander as his Income Support will stop due to me working again.

He's actually just whinged at me about the bread he's going to be having with his lunch as I bought the cheap loaf (well there's no room in the freezer for an extra loaf as I actually wanted to buy 2 for £2 nice bread)

Sorry for the moan there, just wish I could be frugal without DH making snide comments or even DH actually saying yes lets be frugal.

LillethTheCat Sat 02-Mar-13 11:26:13

Sorry but Im going to disagree and tell you that I left Scottish Power as their customer service was terrible. Im with NPower now and so far after 6 months have had no problems what-so-ever.

Well been shopping and £98.90. But I did have to get a few extra bits for world book day. I also bought some extra meat as dd has asked for steak pie and I would rather buy it and make my own. So If I take off the bits I bought extra I would have been on what I wanted to spend.

HollaAtMeBaby Sat 02-Mar-13 13:30:20

Lilleth why have you spent the money for your DCs' passports on a TV instead of on passports like your mum expected? If you do have spare money and have the space, a chest freezer would be a good investment.

LillethTheCat Sat 02-Mar-13 14:13:39

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I wasn't expecting my mum to send a cheque for them. We have budgeted for them anyway so now have spare money. My mum had the applications so her next door neighbour could sign the form and photos as we've only lived here a year and it has to be 2 years of knowing us. When she sent us the forms back so we could send them off with the relevant documents, she put a cheque in there too. Wasn't expected.

We have 2 freezers anyway.

ivykaty44 Sat 02-Mar-13 14:32:06

How do you do no spend days?

Do you leave your purse at home?

Do you spend the money the following day or the previous day - say for school trips or dinner money that needs to be paid?

Ivy for me NSD are easy as I am a SAHM and tend to only shop once a week/fortnight. So I tend not to spend during the week. But I can image if you are working it would be much harder.

As for school dinners I pay on Mondays. I don't allocate money for days of the week I have £400 per month and that pays for all shopping and school bits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now