Miserly March? Make plans here...

(427 Posts)
Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 16-Feb-13 20:37:59

I always find the credit crunch threads too late in the month so I starting this now. I get paid Monday 28thFeb and March is a looong month with a few expensive birthdays etc. I want as many nsd as possible and economising tips galore. I noticed Tesco have got 24 Andrex for £8 so that is a start. I also used click and collect today for the first time so saved £6 delivery. Help me prepare - preparation is the key to success.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 26-Feb-13 13:33:12

This process is enlightening. I have a list of 18 meals ob my fridge and sime lunches too, for which I need to do NO shopping at all. popped to the petrol station shop to get some kitchen roll (those massive blitz ones on offer for £1. 25). spent £17.22. I really cant stop, its like a compulsion, very worrying. I am really cross with nyself BUT at least I am realising.

IsThatTrue Tue 26-Feb-13 15:45:40

NSD so far but ds2 needs a bigger snowsuit. I am looking at eBay rather than heading straight to the shops though so I'm definitely thinking more about what I'm spending rather than doing it compulsively.

Also looking for an outfit for family get together, I've not lost the baby weight yet and have nothing nice to wear. But I'm looking at next sale so not too expensive and as I have a £10 off voucher and an account for free returns it makes sense. But I'm spending some time making sure I get something I will wear again.

Lulabellarama

Could you cook and special for dh birthday rather then a dinner out.

I also have DS 4th birthday on the 21st march.

I'm trying to save so when we go away in the summer (only a caravan on a park on the Isle of wight) so we can pay cash while we are away.

Thingymajigs Tue 26-Feb-13 18:52:57

Right, my financial month started yesterday so I might as well join on this one fully now.
Today I got a call from my bank. I only ever get calls when I've got a bit of extra money in my account so I'm doing well. I hung up though because they'll only try to persuade me to take out a credit card or insurance or something equally pointless.
I've been through my receipts for Feb and made a note of the best buys and things to avoid. I've got to sort out some meal plans for the next month too. Saving money is so time consuming but worth it.
I'll get DS to bed and them I'll catch up with the rest of the thread.

HoneyStepMummy Tue 26-Feb-13 19:41:40

After a really expensive and stressfull month that included legal and medical bills it's time to get frugal again!
I just checked through a bunch of receipts and was horrified how much we have been spending on take away meals and stupid little stuff we don't normally get just because we were so busy and stressed. I'm sitting down tonight with DH to discuss all of this. I really want to book a nice holiday for us and I think this is the motivation we need smile
We have been spending $1 per yoghurt (the fancy Greek type) and that's adding up to about $12 a week. Ridiculous. I found a recipe online and am going to try to make my own. I don't like doing the whole batch cooking thing, but will try to make some cheap eats that can be heated up like split pea soup (yum) and attempt to make calzones or cornish pasties.
My husband just refinanced the mortgage which is saving us a ton of money. I'm staying to top of that to make sure it goes through ontime. Then I need to stay of top of getting paid for three modelling jobs I did this month. I'm just about to call our electricity company to see about getting our rate lowered. I'm also going to go through all my points, gift cards etc and see what I could use for Spring clothing. Going to bag up all the kids clothing I'm getting rid of and see what's Ebay worthy and what's going to charity.

I'd be happy to cook, but DH arranged a while back to meet friends for pool and a curry, to which I'm going to the curry part. It won't be pricey so I can't complain, just need to be aware.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 26-Feb-13 20:55:01

Thanks for the artichoke tip confuseddd, sounds really nice.
All you Barbara Goods, what can I grow really easily with little effort?

Thingymajigs Wed 27-Feb-13 11:15:52

My monthly challenge to spend £200 on food shopping is going fine so far. Spent half on refilling the freezer with fish from Farmfoods and the other half on bits from Tesco today.
I got a bag of organic carrots for the same price as the everyday value bags and a massive cauliflower reduced to 99p. Picked up a Gammon joint as well as courgettes that are all on offer. All of this veg (plus spring onions and leeks) are currently bubbling away to make soup for a week. I couldn't resist the offer on Options mint hot chocolate either (£1.59). Someone had already cleared the shelf but I found another stash at the other end of the shop.
I'm hoping to get Ds1's birthday present on eBay this afternoon. There's a WiiU I'm hoping to buy for half the RRP. And I've still got £30 in my PayPal from selling a few Skylanders.
Everyone who grows their own veg has my complete respect. I can barely keep this parsley and coriander alive.

poppys2012 Wed 27-Feb-13 11:22:58

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

stormforce10 Wed 27-Feb-13 11:49:15

shock
I've just checked my bank balance. Its payday tomorrow and even after moving out £200 into savings I've still got £150 left. Normally at this point I'm lucky to have £20 and that's without moving money into savings.

I'm going to put £110 into savings, use £20 for a slap up family fish and chip supper next weekend with mushy peas and curry sauce and leave the other £20 in my account just in case there's something I've forgotten. I must have made a mistake surely it seems too good to be true that I've spent £330 less than normal this month even allowing for February only having 28 days. I'm going to have to double check hmm

Hope you figures are correct stomeforce - could it be your council tax which we dont pay in Feb and March.

Thingymajigs Wed 27-Feb-13 13:17:34

I hope you're right stormforce. It's lovely to come across money you didn't know you had. And... I'm now craving a chippy tea.

stormforce10 Wed 27-Feb-13 13:26:51

Not council tax as that always goes out on the 28th so wouldn't have paid it yet anyway. Lovely thought though I'd forgotten we didn't ahve that this month

AdoraBell Thu 28-Feb-13 01:45:01

Marking my place, I'll join you properly in a day or twogrin

northender Thu 28-Feb-13 12:04:30

Marking my spot now I've posted my last on the Feb thread.

LillethTheCat Thu 28-Feb-13 12:18:37

So Storm All that extra money, is that just from being frugal then. Hope so.

Im having a Frugal March and will see where I am.

So do we have to all follow the same rules or can we have our own?

This is my first month and Im scared if I go too bad at the start I will give up, whereas if I make a couple of changes in March, more in April etc I will soon be living really frugally and it wont feel like too much of an effort if that makes sense. Plus I need to train DH to think the same way I am, which isn't as easy as it sounds.

So for March I will not buy crap (ie biscuits, cake, chocolate or anything else that's not considered food for meals) and I will adopt the mantra of if I dont need it I can live without it (hopefully will come in handy if I ever want to spend any money on clothes etc)

northender Thu 28-Feb-13 12:23:37

Lilleth we all do our own thing. Everyone's circumstances are different and so different things suit different people. I think the threads are great because everyone encourages each other and you can also share ideas. Good luck with March smile

LillethTheCat Thu 28-Feb-13 12:33:22

Thanks northender

Thingymajigs Thu 28-Feb-13 12:43:24

Yes we definitely just do our own thing. I couldn't give up biscuits, we'd have to be destitute before I questioned my biscuit habit. I have curbed my baking though, that was expensive.
Ds2 asked to be Frodo for world book day. Normally I'd buy a full outfit but I decided to cut up some old clothes and buy fabric to make a cloak. I couldn't convince him to make do with his other swords though so he has bought one from Amazon with his own pocket money.
If you know someone who is trying to buy a Wii U from eBay could you distract them please. I've lost 3 auctions now, it's driving me crazy. Stupid sniper bidders. The next one is mine!

Hoopsadazy Thu 28-Feb-13 12:53:44

Only three of us in the house and we always struggle to get through a bag of potatoes. Any thoughts of what to do with them? Is there something I can do to freeze them?

Thingymajigs Thu 28-Feb-13 12:59:43

I freeze them as mash in portions and then defrost to eat as mash, as a cottage/fish pie topping, or turn them into fish cakes.

northender Thu 28-Feb-13 13:17:38

Yy to freezing mash. It's great having it in the freezer to use as you need it. I mash just the potato before freezing and add anything else when it's defrosted but I'm sure you could add milk/butter or whatever before freezing.

Or roast and freeze.

stormforce10 Thu 28-Feb-13 16:05:09

I've gone over my bank accoujnt with a fine tooth comb. The extra money comes from having changed my insurance. I paid an annual premium to the new company so no insurance direct debit taken this month. most of it though seems to have come from being frugal!!! Really really pleased but still rather disbelieving

wheredidiputit that's a great list, pleased to know I've inspired somene. I'll start a March freezer challange thread tonight. I've still got 5 days to do of my February one as we were away for a while so not on plan. However may as well make a full new list for March though have run my freezer down so far now I think I might actually need to spend a bit more this month.

I think today is going to be a NSD so I'll have done 11 in February. I'm going to set myself a target of 12 in March

CremeEggThief Thu 28-Feb-13 16:44:17

Hello, another one from the February thread here smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now