Miserly March? Make plans here...

(427 Posts)
Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 16-Feb-13 20:37:59

I always find the credit crunch threads too late in the month so I starting this now. I get paid Monday 28thFeb and March is a looong month with a few expensive birthdays etc. I want as many nsd as possible and economising tips galore. I noticed Tesco have got 24 Andrex for £8 so that is a start. I also used click and collect today for the first time so saved £6 delivery. Help me prepare - preparation is the key to success.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 19-Feb-13 18:12:47

had a strike of luck today. went to softplay and remembered just in time that I won a raffle at christmas - got free entry for 2dcs and 4 meals for free!! brilliant.

TitHead Tue 19-Feb-13 18:26:22

Thank you Thingy that's great just what I was looking for. Another bit of aadvice please anyone. In regards to selling some baby things will I have better success with EBay or the local facebook selling sites?

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 19-Feb-13 21:38:50

My store cupboard is similar. I also keep packets of batter mix (cost about 11p from supermarkets). They are quick and faff-free for pancakes or yorkshire puds and the yorkshires are perfect every time.

Helenagrace Wed 20-Feb-13 09:39:24

I've found it helpful to keep an up to date list on the freezer door of what's in there organised by what I can do with it.

So I have a column for "things to go with pasta" (cooked sausages, leftover ham and bacon), "casserole things" (diced beef, chicken drumsticks), "quick meals", (fish fingers, pizza dough), "stir fry" (chicken & pork pieces) etc.

I've found it helps to meal plan and also if I suddenly need to substitute a meal.

I meal plan by type of meal anyway (Monday is leftovers, Tuesday something with rice as DS doesn't like it and he's out, Wednesday is casserole, Thursday is quick meal, etc.) and the list being organised like this means I can quickly spot if I'm running short if something and I can be on the lookout for a bargain.

TitHead Wed 20-Feb-13 17:09:02

That's a great tip Helena will remember that one.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 20-Feb-13 19:13:58

helena, can I freeze cooked sausages? I didnt know! How doe I cook them after? from frozen ir defrost? I reallt didnt know & throw so many of those cocktail sausages away.

Leilandri Wed 20-Feb-13 20:06:40

Marking my place to come over from Frugal February next week!

Definitely been too much month at the end of the money this month.
I need to sort through DS's toys and clothes and list on local FB selling site. That money can then go into a 'days out and activities' pot to be re-invested into the boys without any further money coming from my pocket smile

Helenagrace Wed 20-Feb-13 20:23:59

Ohhelp I just cool the sausages and pop them in a freezer bag. I tend to defrost them then chop them up and throw them in a pasta sauce with some veg as a quick "on the table in 15 minutes" dinner. Alternatively I mix them up with egg in sandwiches. I've been doing it for years and I've survived!

BiddyPop Thu 21-Feb-13 09:10:50

Well, I am making progress for a change - I got the 1st 2 on my list done, and I am sticking to 3 (eating from freezer). I haven't yet managed to talk to GP (hopefully today) and the seeds is a weekend job, but babysteps are being taken! grin

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 21-Feb-13 15:46:03

You will be proud of me. We need bread and yogurts etc. dh is working tonight until the early hours. The old me would now be in sainsbos putting a lot more than milk & yogs in the trolley AND probably would have seized the dh being away to have tea in the sainsbos cafe. Not now, no more! The new me is proofing (prooving??) a loaf as we speak. Lovely fresh loaf of white bread for the morning (white bread is normally banned here except if we have fish n chips). Everyone will love it, I hope. We cant have yogurt but hey ho......

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 21-Feb-13 15:51:28

also stock taken my cupboards. if anyone can tell me what i can make with a jar of artichokes, I might scrape another meal together.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 21-Feb-13 16:10:06

and I have registered dh for tesco delivery and therefore got 12 off first order plus 5 off for spending over 60. I dobt think I really need to spend 60 but will buy a box of babywipes and some nappies, which I will need next week.

I'm in.

Can just say if your doing chicken look at the already cooked chickens. Asda have two cooked ones for £8 but a fresh one is nearly the same price. But if you add in how much it would cost to cook it it cheaper to buy the ready cooked.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 23-Feb-13 16:46:06

Payday looms (Monday) that will mark the start of my month. I am eagerly anticipating this project. mil came for tea today and I managed fish pie & veg and bread & butter pudding with cream. I reckon I can get away with no shopping at all til Friday. I hope the February Frugelettas come over to join in.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 23-Feb-13 16:48:10

Payday looms (Monday) that will mark the start of my month. I am eagerly anticipating this project. mil came for tea today and I managed fish pie & veg and bread & butter pudding with cream. I reckon I can get away with no shopping at all til Friday. I hope the February Frugelettas come over to join in.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 23-Feb-13 17:04:58

Ohhelpohnoitsa

Is it payday soon by chance.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 23-Feb-13 18:03:56

oops! our signal here is intermittent to say the least. phone looked as though it hadnt posted! Oh how I wish I got paid 3 times..........

TitHead Sat 23-Feb-13 18:13:37

Payday for us is thursday. DP should earn £950 (my account pays for everything other than food, gas, electric and a few other bits.) So my plan is £400 for saving account and a few little debts. (If all goes to plan can reduce that to £300 next month £200 of which will be savings). If we then say a £50 emergency fund, that will leave £125 a week that will cover £30 gas/electric £50 food £20 travel. Leaving £25 for extras through the week. Well that's the plan anyway let's see if we can stick to it.

hanreeoak Sat 23-Feb-13 21:58:30

Hi everyone. Pay day for dh was yesterday, so I started yesterday I get paid on the 1st but did not want to wait till then.

My son had a hospital appointment yesterday so had to pay for parking, normally as there no big shops near us a hospital appointment turns in to a shopping spree as well. But I did well, I did buy pull ups in Wilkinson but would of bought them anyway and they were a lot cheaper than I normally buy. So did well there.

I also bought all the family cards needed for the year, I did this last year and saved loads the card shop was really cheap and I bought 10 family cards, 2 mothers day cards, 3 anniversary cards, one new job card and 20 various cards for friends/children's friends (10 for £1) So apart from fathers day cards in June I am sorted for the year the whole lot cost just over £13 so I'm chuffed with that.

Today has been a no spend day (apart from the £5 I put in my nieces card) and we had tea at their house. Tomorrow I plan to write a list of what is in the freezer so we can empty that, and also menu plan for the week.

I'm hoping from what we have in the cupboards I can avoid going shopping until at least thursday. So fingers crossed.

takeaway2 Sat 23-Feb-13 22:35:41

I'm here!! Payday is end of month so it's Thursday. But I'm hopeful there's no supermarket shop till then. I'll endeavor to figure out what's in freezer and work out meals from there - what a good tip! Thanks!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 23-Feb-13 23:18:42

got a tip from my grandma. "no matter how plain or how dull, there's nothing that cant be improved with a good cheese sauce". As long as we are talking pasta & veg, I think she has a point. She said jacket pot with mushrooms in stilton sauce (mmmm), macaroni cheese with dolce late etc. ok so miserly march might have to use what ever cheddar is bogof, but the concept is right!

MrsKnowName Sat 23-Feb-13 23:21:33

I remember seeing someone in chat talking about no spend days. It inspired me and I now spend much less on crap. I have decided to try even harder over the next few months. We just bought a new car last week and still waiting for the loan to come through so we have taken a massive hit on our savings. Will feel much happier when we get the loan and get paid this coming week! Also going on holiday so want to find around £1000 before May so we can really enjoy our hols. So Im meal planning. Walking more. And spending more time at home entertaining the kids than taking them out places. I have also listed some of their old toys on gumtree tonight. I have more up the loft I will try to sort through tomorrow. I am also looking at developing an android app (Im software developer by trade) which could earn me a little extra. I have printed all the details I need to submit a claim for refund due to delayed flight which Ill post tomorrow. My house is so cold at the moment. Im trying to put jumpers on instead of switching heating on but sometimes needs must.

So March I am not spending any money that I dont NEED to. I have a budget of £20 per week for everything outside weekly shop. So any days out comes out of that, any extra food bought during the week comes out of that. I managed to do that the last few weeks and inadvertantly had a few almost no spend weeks!

BoffinMum Sun 24-Feb-13 09:32:33

<waves>

I had a better February after my massive accountancy and tax bills scuppering my January efforts. I have also been good and filled in all the paperwork for the DLA I let lapse for the DCs (long story). Now we have that coming back in every month it's getting easier around here.

In terms of food bills we've been doing pretty well as I have been doing online Tesco shops and building up my points. I hate Tesco's wider commercial practices, but as a committed frugaleer, I am happy to sell my soul when necessary.

stormforce10 Sun 24-Feb-13 15:23:22

Count me in. Not much of February left now. I've been doing my 28 nights, 28 meals, £28 challange and so far its worked really well. I will carry it on until 5th March as we were away a few days over half term.

As for the rest of March my plans are to

1. Stop buying toiletries. I've got piles of stuff I've been given over time and never used so now is the time. This won't save much but it all helps.

2. Review contents of freezer and cupboards. They will be a bit run down after my 28 meal challenge but I think there is still scope for meal planning from them so I intend to do another challange for 14 meals and £14. I know I have enough frozen roast lamb for 2 meals, some duck to do 2 meals, some cooked sausages which will do with pasta so that's five meals before I've even thought about it.

3. Look at moving from Virgin to Sky in the hope of getting a better deal than we currently have. Does anyone know if I can take our phone number with us? Also want to look at using a cashback site to do this

4. Look for a good deal on a bread maker - no idea about these so any advice is welcome

Seems a lot of work but sure it can all be done smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now