Miserly March? Make plans here...

(427 Posts)
Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 16-Feb-13 20:37:59

I always find the credit crunch threads too late in the month so I starting this now. I get paid Monday 28thFeb and March is a looong month with a few expensive birthdays etc. I want as many nsd as possible and economising tips galore. I noticed Tesco have got 24 Andrex for £8 so that is a start. I also used click and collect today for the first time so saved £6 delivery. Help me prepare - preparation is the key to success.

snowmummy Sun 17-Feb-13 17:16:41

I'm in

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sun 17-Feb-13 19:12:03

I went in poundland or poundworld today for the first time and got some fab bargains on cleaning stuff and cat food. really really good deals. Also started putting odd bits of bread in the freezer for bread and butter pudding - usually I would throw it away. I havr also read the frugal feb thread and one called 28 meals and £28 or something like that. I am already ashamed at how wasteful I have been so far. March is my turning point. Dh is away most of it so I can frugalise without hin commenting - he ridicules me for trying Aldi etc after reading these threads. Hr thinks its all false economy as wr end up going to mozzos or sains as well. Thinking ahead has made me realise how much I buy automatically & sadly buy for pleasure rather than necessity.

babsmam Sun 17-Feb-13 19:31:10

Have you got a B&M bargains near you 9 toilet rolls for 2.99 or pound stretcher do the same one 2 packs for a fiver and they are fine.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sun 17-Feb-13 20:19:08

yes we have got b&m but I always spend too much in there. Will give it a go whrn I have made a list! Ours is great for kids presents if the dcs have parties to go to.

hanreeoak Sun 17-Feb-13 20:41:45

Hi, I would like to join please.

We are going on holiday on 30th March and whilst we are away my brother is going to be putting a new bathroom in for us (nothing flash anything will be better than the one we have). I think that I have enough cash to cover the bathroom but you can never be too sure, but I have no savings yet for holiday money. We are only staying on a farm but we have 3dc 9,6,and 4.
I too have been reading the 28 meals for £28 and have found it very inspiring. I really need to be careful as when the bathroom is done we will have no savings.

So I'm going to try to live out of the food cupboards, not drive the car if possible, plan trips.

Good luck everyone. smile

TitHead Sun 17-Feb-13 21:48:42

Sign me up. I promised I was going to be more frugal this year but not got off to the greatest off starts. Could some one link to the 28 meal thread please.

hanreeoak Sun 17-Feb-13 21:52:58
TitHead Sun 17-Feb-13 22:03:01

Thank you it worked. Will have a proper look in the morning, off to bed now.

babsmam Mon 18-Feb-13 12:48:10

I agree about B&M. love it. Love it

Oh and can I join too. Sick of being skint and need to get more organised as events that cost money keep creeping up on me. And can anyone remember when Mother's Day is.

snowmummy Mon 18-Feb-13 13:47:15

I think Mothers' Day is 17 March.

Bejeena Mon 18-Feb-13 14:28:07

I'll come back again in March for sure. smile

TobyLerone Mon 18-Feb-13 15:54:43

Mothers day is 10th March.

I think I'll join in. I get quite the thrill from meal planning and economising where possible, even though we're fortunate enough not to have to scrimp.

KD0706 Mon 18-Feb-13 16:55:07

Hi. I'll join too if I may. We are moving at the end of April and I would like to use up my freezer plus save some money for the move!

I'm thinking April will be an expensive month with lots of convenience foods etc while we faff with packing etc.

lizardqueenie Mon 18-Feb-13 20:32:57

Hi everyone, ok if I join too?
Feb seems like a v long month for me too- get paid on 28th plus my Nan's bday & Mother's Day in March AND I've just realised I desperately need to go to dentist, teeth are a bloody state so goodness knows what that's going to cost.

Does anyone have any inexpensive ( but lovely) ideas for a present for my nan & my dd's great nana. I was wondering if I could go her a little picture frame or mug with a handprint on or something. There is a workshop near us that does them but mugs are about £10 plus cost of firing & decorating.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 18-Feb-13 21:35:43

Yes those places are not cheap. Photobox and places like that will do a photomug. They are cheaper, look nice but the one we got dm a couple of years ago was terrible quality - stained very easily inside. I have seen somewhere that does bags with handprints on or photocopies of a handrawn picture - they were reasonably priced; you know the fold up canvas type reusable bags.

So ready for March (or Feb 25th payday in my case) we have to 1. stock take our cupboards & freezers for foodstuffs, toiletries & cleaning stuff. 2. make very strict lists after careful meal planning to minimise what we need. 3. stick rigidly to list. 4. write down all expenditure. 5. find a way to use any leftovers or exercise good portion control in the first place. 6. not shop out of habit, only necessity. 7. only buy bargains if they were on out list or may save lots of money in april (maybe)? 8. take a packed lunch to work and no spending on pretentious coffees 9. aim for many no spend days. 10. ebay what ever we can. I AM READY!

lizardqueenie Mon 18-Feb-13 22:06:39

Thanks for the ideas ohhelp ill have a google.

Like your to do list too.
I'm going to see if there is still overtime going at work, think its night only be until the end of March so will try to get in while I can. Have also got stuff on eBay / local selling groups.

Have been v inspired by the 28 days thread so am making a chickpea something from ingredients we have or tomorrow's dinner!

TitHead Tue 19-Feb-13 08:10:19

Had a good look at the 28 days thread. Going to sit down over the next few days and work out a meal plan and stick to it. Have had a look through a store cupboard. It really needs work, if anyone can help me with that I would be very greatful. What kind of things should you always have in your cupboards and freezer?

ComradeJing Tue 19-Feb-13 08:22:46

I'm in.

10 NSD and STICKING TO MY BUDGET.i have to stay on budget this month. Tis a bloody joke now.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 19-Feb-13 08:36:46

roast chicken dinner tonight but I will be frugal with the chicken so I can bank another three meals from it for March - a curry, a pie and a soup with the carcass stock. having bread & butter pudding with our scraps of bread but need to buy cream - smallest pot. Strangely I am looking forward to this project - cant wait to do my stock take & mral plan. I reckon I have bern overspending for a year - I cant wait to feel smug when I rein in back in.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 19-Feb-13 08:46:00

comrad it IS a bloody joke - you a so right. Been spending up to 1300 on food & petrol & the very occasional takeaway. throwing way too much away. dh makes me paranoid though - he practically has a panic attack if I say I am not going to do the weekly shop. I have been trying to do twice a week for what we need instead if one massive shop where I buy stuff just in case - that helps but is time consuming.

Thingymajigs Tue 19-Feb-13 13:47:25

I'm in. I started at the beginning of Feb and have made huge changes. Just looking at my bank statements and last month I spent £700 on food and other items in Tesco alone. This month the total food spend is just £130.
tithead it really depends on what you cook. In my cupboards I always keep:
Chicken, beef and veg stock cubes,
tinned chopped tomatoes,
Mushy peas,
Lentils (to bulk out meals),
Pulses - baked beans, kidney beans, chick peas etc.,
porridge oats (for breakfast, to thicken/bulk out meals, for flapjacks and various desserts),
Raisins and sultanas,
Patak's paste,
Couple of tins of soup,
Custard,
Potatoes,
Breadcrumbs,
Gravy granules,
Tomato purée,
Herbs, garlic, spices,
A variety of pasta and rice,
Flour- Plain flour, self-raising, strong white bread flour,
Different sugars,
Bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, vanilla extract,
Olive oil, sunflower oil, vegetable oil.
Table sauces, fine sea salt and vinegar.

Freezer:
Mince, fish, sausages,
Fish fingers,
Peas,
Sweetcorn,
Homemade cobs and bread,
Potato water (for the bread),
Homemade chicken nuggets/burgers/meatballs,
Fries,
Ice-cream,
Batches of homemade meals I've frozen.

Is that of any use to you?

Thingymajigs Tue 19-Feb-13 13:49:21

Wow, that was long.
This March I'll also be working on keeping my posts short.

aliciaflorrick Tue 19-Feb-13 13:55:12

I'm in, got a divorce to pay for, home improvements and a holiday too. So I need to be very, very careful with money. I'm trying very hard at the moment and thank goodness for a full freezer. My heart sinks when I have to buy cleaning stuff and toiletries because they really bump up the price of my weekly shop. Not in the UK too so can't take advantage of pound shops.

BiddyPop Tue 19-Feb-13 17:42:04

I am trying to be frugal this year (I'm usually not too bad but a car smash last year meant big Doc and physio bills that I had to pay, and plenty of over worked and sore days meant more convenience foods than I normally do - Dh is away a lot too). So I am trying to get back to my older ways.

This week, I am setting myself 5 challenges:
Re-do my excel spreadsheet for my cashbook (it's a month out of date)
Sort the winter woolies and send those we don't need to charity shop/DNieces/DNephews
Eat from the freezer and cupboards (trying to clear out and make space) - and not buy any food (apart from milk) until the weekend again.
Get GP to sign off my accident claim to get that sorted (all sorted legally, other driver immediately acknowledged her error - tis the expenses claim to get done now)
Sow a few seeds to be able to start planting veg soon (small garden, but it can be relatively productive - I gave up the allotment due to time and stress issues even though I loved it).

I will be happy if I get even some of those done, but I'd love to get all 5 done as a good start to my efforts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now