Using up dried pulses

(13 Posts)
CuriousMama Sat 02-Feb-13 20:51:50

I will smile

BoffinMum Sat 02-Feb-13 20:48:09

It is an acquired taste. As I say, I love it as I am keen on historic recipes, but you'll just have to try it and see.

CuriousMama Sat 02-Feb-13 20:46:15

Thanks BM and TBOG. I like the sound of the pudding and think Dp would eat that too?

BoffinMum Sat 02-Feb-13 20:03:35

You can make your own houmous and also butter bean dip with them as well.

Just chuck them in a soup to thicken it up, or make a stew like the one suggested above. Wine is always a good addition to stews!

BoffinMum Sat 02-Feb-13 19:54:37

I think it's worth sticking them in stews. I also have a recipe for an Anglo-Saxon pudding!

4oz barley
2 oz carrots
1 tbsp honey
8oz peeled and cored apples
450ml water
2 sprigs mint, chopped
2 large eggs
6 tbsp warmed redcurrant jelly
150 ml double cream or thick yoghurt to serve

Boil up the barley, carrots, honey and apple and then simmer for about 20 minutes until it's soft but not mushy.
Puree in a food processor, or pestle and mortar if you are an Anglo Saxon.
Beat the eggs and mix them into the puree.
Butter a pudding basin and pour the mixture in. Put a double layer of greaseproof paper over the top and tie with string.
Stand in a pan of water and boil for about 45 mins.
Pudding should be firm - serve warm with redcurrant jelly and a bit of cream/yoghurt.

Now I adore this pudding, but the kids and DH reject it. It's massively healthy though.

CuriousMama Sat 02-Feb-13 17:18:15

Thanks Fluffy, dp loves beans just not so keen on vegetarian.

I had a dish once from some Italian chain which was;

Tomatoes cooked with black olives, butter beans and chicken with rosemary and sea salt bread.

It was delicious, you could just bung some chicken into one portion for dp.

CuriousMama Sat 02-Feb-13 12:14:59

Thanks so much. Think I'll make the meatless loaf for dinner tonight?

stressedHEmum Sat 02-Feb-13 11:28:48

Here , here, here , and here. These should give you a start.

CuriousMama Fri 01-Feb-13 18:42:03

I have both thank you.

stormforce10 Fri 01-Feb-13 18:36:25

If you have lentils try using them to bulk out mince for cottage pie or bolognaise.

If you have pearl barley try this

CuriousMama Fri 01-Feb-13 18:27:26

Does anyone have tips or websites with good recipes? I have lots of dried beans and pulses and seems a shame to not use them especially as we're trying to cut back.

Dp and I both like to cook. Dss and I all love vegetarian food, dp not so keen but will eat it. I managed to use up the soup broth mix but have lots of others left.

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now