Do we have a Frugal February thread yet?

(917 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 29-Jan-13 18:49:50

or Frugalbruary if you will?

If there is, point me too it. If not, do you want to join?

I had planned to not spend at all next month. Looks like I will be paying out on two rather big things so its even more important I rein in the wasteful spending.

This is my first frugal fred so I need some help and I know that a lot of you are really good at this sort of thing.

Anyone interested?

CremeEggThief Wed 27-Feb-13 18:57:19

Spendy day here. £34.50 on waxing and £6.99 on a book at the school book fair for DS (he chose it). Oh and 90p on milk. So, £42.59 altogether.

Helenagrace Wed 27-Feb-13 19:02:14

Spendy day here as I needed to replace my house phones. Slow cooker and ironing board. I reserved them all at Argos but when I went to collect them they'd put the prices back up and the items were £58 dearer. I whipped out my phone and showed them the email and got the items reduced again!

Popped into Sainsburys for a top up shop and managed only to put some heavily discounted drinks in my trolley as extras. I'm learning ;-)

Leilandri Wed 27-Feb-13 20:00:40

NSD today smile
Planned walk to get nettles for DH's beer didn't end at Morrisons as DS's were far too whingy, so we got about halfway and turned back, so saved on not buying hot choc or catching the bus home.

Had DMiL here for tea today, she took the DS's to the shops and treated them to Freddo's and comics, and we 'treated' her to fishfingers, chips and beans!! grin

takeaway2 Wed 27-Feb-13 21:09:40

Another NSD! Might make it to 16 by tomorrow!!

DreamingOfTheMaldives Wed 27-Feb-13 22:42:30

Just looked back to the start of this thread to see what my February targets were and am pleased that I have met them!

My spending money Overdraft reduced by £200 despite buying myself a few bits of maternity clothes (from eBay and in sales). I have produced a schedule of everything my DH and I have spent all month. I have got some old clothes on eBay when it was free listings - they finish on Sunday so don't know how much I've made but it's better than nothing and the clothes were of no use to me anymore. We have sold the last of my DH's speakers (deposit received and should have the rest soon).

I used the council tax free month to pay the car tax and put the last few pounds in the savings about - its only £30 but it all adds up.

Rather pleased with myself. Need to decide what my commitments will be to March now.

Hope everyone else has had a good month too

williaminajetfighter Thu 28-Feb-13 01:22:30

Well it's the last day of the month. Who wants to start a new thread called 'Miserly March'??

AdoraBell Thu 28-Feb-13 01:43:40

Had a couple of NSDs here, ruined it today though with medical tests for DD2. About £130- ish with the exchange rate. Tomorrow is the dentist for both DDs and OH is having testes done too. Next week I have to take test results to the Dr, that'll be about £35, they get a 10% discount for having accident insurance with the clinic.

Vet/pet hotel bill from our holiday and a few things OH had forgotten to pay was about £600. There'll be a bit more now as one had to go back to be checked.

DDs spent money from Bank of Mum on sunglasses, at least they'll wear these ones and DD1's were 75% off, DD2's only 50% discounted. That leaves them with £20 and £60 respectively in the bank. OH looked at a pair but couldn't afford to buy and DD1's chin hit the floor when I pointed out that we, OH and myself, don't have any credit to spend. He won't get paid again next month. This is why I have heaving kitchen cupboards. Oh, and next week school starts again, so that'll ramp up the petrol usage. I haven't bought the guitar DDs were told they need as I've been caught out before with teachers saying one thing and then the school changes it. DD2 will have to wait and see if she actually needs it. Their hockey sticks still fit, shin guards should be okay too (I'd forgotten about all that malarkeyblush ) I'm off to sign up for the March threadgrin

Leilandri Thu 28-Feb-13 08:39:36

DH's Payday!! grin

Reached payday with £75 available funds in the bank (still well into overdraft tho) AND £6.51 in my purse! Paid 2 extra debts this month too, so we are definitely making headway.

Should be NSD today - back to work, must remember to take sandwiches.
Off now to 'Miserly March' wink

Leilandri Thu 28-Feb-13 08:40:44
naomilpeb Thu 28-Feb-13 08:53:47

Leilandri and DreamingOfTheMaldives, sounds like you've done ever so well this month!

Yesterday was definitely NOT a NSD. So much for me thinking we had pretty much all the food we needed till pay-day (March 19th): DP had to do a food shop yesterday for cheese, milk, butter, yoghurts, juice, Quorn, fruit and veg. I realise I have no idea how much of things we use in a month, which is probably why we eat well at the start and then live off beans and toast at the end! Need to work on that. Do you all plan your meals for the whole month at the start to see what you're going to need? I think we need to start doing that.

So, DP spent about £25 at Sainsburys (plus £3 bus fare to get there with DS). I spent £11.50 on the train and £1.30 on teabags from the corner shop because DP had forgotten to get those. Not good.

I am pleased with myself that this month I put enough money on my Oyster card to get me through all the tube journeys to work I do in the month, so that's covered, and I put the money for the train to one side in a random savings account to take out when needed, so that's covered too.

Thanks for the link to March, I'll see you all there tomorrow. Tonight I'll try and sit down with DP and make some plans for what we're spending - or rather NOT spending - in March.

northender Thu 28-Feb-13 12:01:41

Well done everyone!
I've just updated our spreadsheet for the end of the month and our overall position is better by £400 than at the end of January smile. That includes £500 spent on the house so I'm really pleased. There is still money to be spent on the house but I feel we're heading in the right direction.
What is quite clear is that our life is costing us much more than we realised and so, unless we make even more cutbacks, we won't get into the black as quickly as we'd hoped. That said, the debts are all on interest free credit cards and in a years time when the deals come to an end we should be in a position to pay most of it off and then hopefully transfer the remainder to another interest free deal, just incurring a small charge.
So my summary for Feb is doing okay still feeling empowered by the frugality and determined to keep going.
Will head for the March thread now.

Thingymajigs Thu 28-Feb-13 12:51:06

northender, well done. It's amazing what can be done in just one month.
naomi, I meal plan for no more than a week or two so I can buy things when they are on offer. Plus the kids or DP might go off a certain meal and mess up the plan anyway. We buy fruit and veg every week, sometimes twice a week at the market because we can't judge how much we eat of those.

I've got some expenses to note down today then I will have recorded the whole month and kept all the receipts.
naomilpeb We need to meal plan too. DH appears to be on board so I am going to give it a go next month. Breakfasts and lunches are easy. The children have packed lunches so I know what they will have everyday as I already have a bit of a routine. Evening meals are going to be a bit more of a challenge.

takeaway2 Thu 28-Feb-13 19:19:02

Another NSD. So I think that takes me up to 16 this month. smile
I haven't really totted up our final spend and I'm not sure it's lower than last month but that's mostly because it was Chinese New Year and I spent some money on new clothes for everyone and then a big food shop. I also had to replace a really broken coat/jacket so that was v necessary.

In march we will have to pay for road tax and MOT. Gulp. More eating out of freezer I think! Today was fish fingers chips and beans.

IsThatTrue Thu 28-Feb-13 20:11:33

I have paid £1000 into a savings account for the car tax/mot/insurance in may. £250 off my £3k debt to my dad and have £350 in the current account after all bills (not including the £93 owed to me from the kids savings accounts that I have to go into a branch to transfer out).

So this month I am £1200 better off than last month. £400 is the 2 lots of council tax but £800 is frugality!

Frugaleers forever! Huzzah! grin

MavisGrind Thu 28-Feb-13 20:11:43

Evening all - the last of Feb!

Well, my 8th NSD of the month - I'm aiming for 12 in March. I've been trying to work out my finances and know I've got my OD down this month but it seems that I've been consistently overspending for the last few months which has been masked by the WTC coming in 4-weekly. I should get on top of this in March.

Well done to everyone this month - will slope off to the March thread now, see you there! grin

AdoraBell Fri 01-Mar-13 02:16:28

I ended the month with a spendy day.

DD's dental Bill £140- ish together. £20 top up shop, then went To meet OH after his tests - all clear grin, £2.40 on roads and OH shelled out about £170 at the Drs. On the Frugaleer front I didn't buy the stunning silver earrings I sawgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now