Do we have a Frugal February thread yet?

(917 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 29-Jan-13 18:49:50

or Frugalbruary if you will?

If there is, point me too it. If not, do you want to join?

I had planned to not spend at all next month. Looks like I will be paying out on two rather big things so its even more important I rein in the wasteful spending.

This is my first frugal fred so I need some help and I know that a lot of you are really good at this sort of thing.

Anyone interested?

stormforce10 Sat 23-Feb-13 15:43:33

Thingy that's inspirational.

I think today is going to be a NSD, mainly because I only got dressed half an hour ago and ds and dd are still in their pyjamas blush

Actually technically its not a NSD as I did cheat and pick up some clothes on ebay but I'm not counting them as someone gave me £20 to get DD and DS something for Christmas and I never used it. dd will love a new party dress and ds at 7 months won't care but will wear the big heap of clothes I got him for a fiver. I spent £15 over all so still got some left. However since it was not from my normal money I'll let it go and call it a NSD

Cheating shock

ProphetOfDoom Sat 23-Feb-13 16:26:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thingymajigs Sat 23-Feb-13 16:39:15

Thanks boffinsmum. I have learnt a lot from your blog too. Next week I'm trying out lentil and bacon soup (plus random leftover veg thrown in) for my lunch; it looks delicious.
Good luck daffy, you can do it. I think it might take months to unlearn all of my bad food shopping habits but I'm getting there. Avoiding supermarkets as much as possible seems to be the easiest way to begin.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 23-Feb-13 16:42:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Leilandri Sat 23-Feb-13 19:17:41

Spent £25 in Asda today on vests and wellies for DS1 and vests and slippers for DS2, also got DS1 a smartprice single duvet, he's all snuggled up asleep under it already smile
Spent £5.78 in Lidl on 7.5kg of spuds and 5kg of onions.

Bought onions when I went to Aldi yesterday, but got them home to discover they were all rather manky sad Have emailed Aldi, as it's a 30mile round trip to my 'local' store. They've emailed me back a £2 voucher to print off for next shop smile Also I would've previously consigned the onions to the compost heap, but thanks to this thread I've removed the bad bits, diced and frozen the salvageable bits so not a total loss.

Should be a NSD ag

Leilandri Sat 23-Feb-13 19:18:58

* should be a NSD again tomorrow. Off to visit friends so shall take picnic lunch for DS's, and bake a cake. They can provide the coffee!

(Clicked post too early blush)

takeaway2 Sat 23-Feb-13 19:26:38

Thanks everyone for advice on eBay. We'll see how far I get! I also have cast iron radiators so maybe should ebay those..!

Spendy day as predicted. £69 at hairdressers shock, but lovely meal at friends and we stayed there till nearly dinner time! Farm shop £10 for milk, veg, butter, odds sods and £20 aldi shop so that should take us till at least next week. I'm v pleased as my usual shop is at least £60 or more like £80-100.

Had so much for lunch that me and dh aren't hungry. Have made kids some ham and cheese wraps (aldi shop) and they are watching 'who framed roger rabbit' on lovefilm instant. smile

CremeEggThief Sat 23-Feb-13 21:24:37

Hi All, just on the way home from the airport after a few days in Ireland. Probably won't get in until after midnight though (rail replacement buses looming).

My new niece is adorable grin. DS and I spent the last few days cuddling her. Only spent about €125 over there, so I will have €85 to change back into sterling at the post office. I didn't want to change it back at the airport, so withdrew some cash too, as I had no sterling left. Spent £7 on supper and the taxi from our home station will cost £10-12.

I'll read through properly now.

CremeEggThief Sat 23-Feb-13 21:26:41

Hi All, just on the way home from the airport after a few days in Ireland. Probably won't get in until after midnight though (rail replacement buses looming).

My new niece is adorable grin. DS and I spent the last few days cuddling her. Only spent about €125 over there, so I will have €85 to change back into sterling at the post office. I didn't want to change it back at the airport, so withdrew some cash too, as I had no sterling left. Spent £7 on supper and the taxi from our home station will cost £10-12.

I'll read through properly now.

Helenagrace Sat 23-Feb-13 22:46:22

Just Torres up what we've spent so far on food this month and it looks to be only just over 40% of what we spent in the same month last year. Really pleased!

Plus I started one of my jobs this week and I start the other one on Thursday.

Heading in the right direction!

AdoraBell Sat 23-Feb-13 23:42:31

Ha ha Helena I see your auto correct is doing spanish nowgrin

Creme glad you had good time meating your niece

Thingy that's fab, well done

NSD here againgrin next week DDs have Dentist and Dr for DD2

chickieno1 Sun 24-Feb-13 01:17:43

Haven't posted in a while but have been checking in. A few spendy days for me recently for no real reason.........
Will do better in march (really have to)
Thanks for all the inspiration and well done all the super frugaleers smile

Munchkin08 Sun 24-Feb-13 09:03:53

Hi, when you use dark hair dye I think it's ok to use shop bought products but highlights are different. I was spending like you having highlights but now have it done as a model at the hairdressers for £20. You can also get it done at a college or failing that you could buy the products like someone else's post suggested but maybe get a friend to help you do it. I dye my daughters but she has dark hair and I dye it red.

I have saved enough this month to buy new tv £410 but still need to do better what with half term and everything x

Also, did really stupid thing - I withdrew £120 for half term and walked off and left it in the cash machine confused. However, it was a cash machine outside waitrose and they checked CCTV and the machine wasn't used for 4 minutes, so I contacted my bank and it took 2 weeks but got the money back - wont be doing that again blush

BoffinMum Sun 24-Feb-13 09:13:04

Thingy, the soup smells delicious while you are cooking it because of the ham stock, and the film crew fell on it like men possessed! Anyone would think they hadn't been fed for a month.

stormforce10 Sun 24-Feb-13 13:07:45

Today should be a NSD as there's nothing we need, its the last day of half term and I feel no need to go anywhere or do anything.

We're having lamb burgers tonight in cibatta bread as I've got a part baked loaf and it will save buying rolls then following it up with rice pudding and jam as I had some left over rice after last nights so added milk, sugar and cardoman pods and boiled it up. Not sure about lunch but wll no doubt fish something out in a while, for some reason I really fancy scrambled egg on toast.

I've just found a couple of steaks in the freezer I'd completely forgotten about. I do not know how long they'd been there but they will make for a good meal at some point smile

I've just done this weeks shopping list and thought I'd try going to Asda for a change tomorrow as I normally go to Aldi but am getting slightly bored. We need:

bag of potatos
onions
butternut squash
2 cans baked beans
lettuce
cherry tomatoes
orange juice
apples
grapes
sultanas (for porridge)
a glance at the reduced shelf to see if there's anything worth freezing for March's meal planning smile

We have everything else we need until 5th March in stock though may need top ups of bread, milk and fruit - especially fruit dd has had 3 satsumas, an apple a big slice of pineapple and a hand fiull of grapes so far today and its only lunchtime

CremeEggThief Sun 24-Feb-13 15:25:25

Thanks adora. She is seriously cute smile.

Oh no Munchkin! I always worry I'll do that, if I'm distracted. Thank goodness you got it back!

Spent nearly £29 in the Co-op on stuff for the next couple of days. We were travelling from 11.45 a.m. to 12.40 a.m. altogether yesterday! Shattered today, but managed the basics- shopping, unpacking, laundry and cleaning and changing the cat litter tray. Going to curl up and watch telly for a while now before thinking about dinner.

IsThatTrue Sun 24-Feb-13 15:45:16

Well popped to asda yesterday and spent more money than strictly needed but DH felt ill today so we've put off our planned visit to Costco for 2 weeks (DHs card so I can't go alone). I have worked out I have enough food to last easily until then though so it's probably a good thing.

I've totted up and seem to have £210 spare this month (after being minus £500 for many many months) and I have a weeks wages left to earn, which will hopefully be around £300. So I'm planning on paying my dad back £250 a month (which should be an easily doable figure) and then putting the rest into savings. That means dad will be paid off in 12 months and we'll have a back up fund. I also managed to put £1000 aside to pay our service/mot/tax this year but £500 was from premium bonds that I'd forgotten about.

This week my main task is to chase the solicitors (again) about the £750 they were holding after the sale of my flat last February. I shall not be fobbed off and will get a time scale (they say they are waiting on the buyers solicitors say so to release the money, but surely there must be a timescale to which I have to get MY money back if they don't request it to be paid to the management agents.) I shall NOT be fobbed off, rinse and repeat as needed!

Helenagrace Sun 24-Feb-13 18:16:16

NSD today.

Probably need milk and bread tomorrow and some fruit.

takeaway2 Sun 24-Feb-13 18:54:41

Spent some money at waitrose but had £15 voucher from them so the damage was £20 which was great. Had to wait for son after a class so hid out at the cafe with my free drink and a breakfast thing that I shared with dd.

The more interesting thing is.... I have done an inventory of my freezer (inspiration from Helena?) and I have made about 10 days of meal plan on the calendar. I am happy. smile

MavisGrind Sun 24-Feb-13 20:41:55

Evening all! Well done takeaway2 - I too sorted out my freezer but sadly it isn't going to make many meals that the dcs will entertain the idea of but I did manage to amalgamate the 3 half empty boxes of fishfingers into one...

A NSD here which brings me up to about 8 this month. I should manage another couple by the end of the week and then I'm going to aim for 12 NSDs in March.

I baked a really lovely banana/chocolate loaf and made a big pot of stuff for my lunches this week. Also managed a good walk despite the snow!

Hope you all have a lovely start to the week.

AdoraBell Mon 25-Feb-13 01:23:09

I plan to sort my freezer tomorrow, got shopping today but didn't buy any meat, £65. Just taken out BBQ'd sausage for brekkies tomorrow. DDs wanted smoothies after lunch out, they had their pocket money and needed to ask "who's paying?" bloody cheek, we'd just fed them. Also spent £8 in a Homebase type place for laundry products, larger packets cheaper than supermarketgrin roads were £2.40.

chasingtail Mon 25-Feb-13 10:08:04

I have also been having a sort out of my freezer and playing 'let's identify contents of tupperware boxes' grin. I'm good at freezing leftovers, not so good at labelling!

How do you label up plastic boxes? don't really want to use sticky labels/permanent marker as chances are the contents are changed reasonably regularly. Any suggestions for recording contents Frugaleers as reckon if I can work out what's actually in my freezer I have at least 10 days worth of meals!

Daffyboobface Mon 25-Feb-13 11:19:07

A few little victories here. Had to go to garage just now and I was absolutely STARVING. Normally I would buy loads of 'instant high' type crap, but just kept thinking how all those little bits haunt my overdraft bank statement.

Managed to convince DH that we didn't need lunch out yesterday, just because it was payday. May try the cash in different envelopes things this month.

Had another ebay purge, too.

However, it probably will be a spendyish week as DDs first birthday. Doing a high tea type menu as sandwiches and cakes relatively cheap to make. And will be treating myself to a mani/pedi at local beauty college before I start work. Sadly, my horrid untouched-for-6-months hair will have to wait.

stormforce10 Mon 25-Feb-13 13:10:17

Well I was going to go shopping today but I don't think its going to happen. Its miserable weather. ds has dirreoah and I don't feel like going anywhere anyway so it may turn into a NSD and I'll do it in the morning.

I feel rich. I found 2 cans of baked beans buried deep in the in cupboard so don't need to buy those, £1 in a coat pocket and I've made a whole £1.20 on online surveys .

On the down side it looks like dd needs new school shoes - damn

economymode Mon 25-Feb-13 14:29:09

Storm, I feel your new shoe pain. EconomyBoy needed new shoes yesterday after he scuffed through his old ones by dragging his feet in his Tiny Tikes car. That was £30. He was due new ones anyway, they were getting a bit small, but still.

Saved money today by turning up at a playgroup that wasn't on, so just went to children's library instead, for free. Just meant walking twice as far!

We're eating up the freezer, too. It's full of stuff, so enjoying not cooking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now