Do we have a Frugal February thread yet?

(917 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 29-Jan-13 18:49:50

or Frugalbruary if you will?

If there is, point me too it. If not, do you want to join?

I had planned to not spend at all next month. Looks like I will be paying out on two rather big things so its even more important I rein in the wasteful spending.

This is my first frugal fred so I need some help and I know that a lot of you are really good at this sort of thing.

Anyone interested?

AphraBehn Mon 11-Feb-13 11:30:20

Try CeX for cds Mavis. You can send them off by freepost.

economymode Mon 11-Feb-13 11:30:49

Happy Birthday Creme!

We have a light covering of snow here in Oxford. Still falling but nothing to write home about.

£1.60 spend so far on cheap and cheerful soft play. That may well be it for the day.

I have no experience of Music Magpie, sorry. I did manage to sell a load of CDs to colleagues when I worked in an office. Is that an option, Mavis? I think I got a couple of pounds per album. I just sent an email round.

northender Mon 11-Feb-13 13:05:49

Happy birthday Creme!
Badvoc yaay for the mooncup gringrin. I haven't found any difference in period pains and it takes a bit of getting used to (lots of advice if you search for threads on here!) but I would never, never go back now.
NSD here I think, well I'm going to pay the car bill but that went on the records when the invoice arrived so I'm not counting it. Going to check my meal plan but I think I've got everything I need for this week so should be a good week.

MavisGrind Mon 11-Feb-13 13:11:14

The car is back from the garage and was only the cost of the MOT - hooray!

I've had a look a CeX Aphra and their average pay out for my cds was (wait for it) 1p (!) so I've gone back to MM for the extra 20p or so grin One of them, bought about 15 years ago has a '2 for £22' HMV sticker on it. My, how times have changed!

No snow here, in fact it's nice and sunny for a change so I'm psyching myself up to get out in the garden.

AphraBehn Mon 11-Feb-13 13:29:34

1p!!!! shock Won't be going back there then.

They pay good prices for dvds though; or did when we sold a load recently.

BornToFolk Mon 11-Feb-13 13:38:10

Can I join in? I need to stop frittering money! I work in town centre which is very handy sometimes but it also means that I spend most lunchtimes wandering round the shops and spending money. Not a huge amount (a £2 scarf in Primark today!) but it all adds up. I did stop myself going into Sainsbury's though which probably saved another £5 or so.

It's half term next week for us and luckily I've got it covered off with by family (DS is having a day each with his cousin/my mum/his dad/my sister/me!) so I don't have to shell out for childcare.

takeaway2 Mon 11-Feb-13 15:32:51

Happy birthday CremeEgg!

I had to shell out for lunch today as I had lunch with a colleague. £4.80. Brought my own drink - cheap!

Oh and £2.20 for DS's school dinner. Paid credit card bill this morning too. Good news is, it was £400 less than last Monty's but still. Scary money. And with this month, spending already on new year stuff - not looking forward to the next bill!! Argh.

More NSDs next few days hopefully.

DreamingOfTheMaldives Mon 11-Feb-13 15:54:43

Today should be a NSD for me. I'm working from home and have got dinner sorted - lamb, chickpea and spinach curry out of the freezer as DH is working away this week.

Unfortunately when DH is working away he inevitably ends up spending more than he would at home. When he is home, he tends sandwiches every day but doesn't have that option when he's away so has to buy lunch. He also tends to spend a bit more in the evenings as well buying a couple of drinks at the pub because he obviously doesn't want to sit in his room all evening. The allowance his company pay is rubbish, they don't get around £10-£15 per day but only to be used on evening meal and soft drink. He can't use any of it towards lunch.
Seems really unfair that him working away costs us money.

He has found a pay as you go gym down there which will cost him £5 a session but at least it's better to spend money on the gym than in the pub!

Happy Birthday CremeEggThief! thanks

CremeEggThief Brazil Mon 11-Feb-13 16:00:16

Thanks everyone smile.

IsThatTrue Mon 11-Feb-13 16:50:16

Happy birthday creamegg

Well NSD today but ds2 has been really unsettled so I've hardly managed any work. So not the best of days.

Leilandri Mon 11-Feb-13 18:12:51

NSD today.

Have baked - blueberry muffins (used up dodgy blueberries, and some suspicious looking custard in the fridge!) Mincemeat loaf with cinnamon frosting (used up opened jar of mincemeat in cupboard and the last of our shop bought eggs)
Was going to be baked spuds for tea today, with Savers bacon chops and coleslaw, but the potatoes were abit small and measly, so have scooped out the middles, added to some suspicious looking Philly cheese, and a wrinkly red onion, and turned into loaded skins instead grin

Off to friends house tonight for chick flick and chocolate. She'll provide the film and food, and I'll bring a bottle of wine that I was given for Xmas.

Happy Birthday Creme wine & flowers

chickieno1 Mon 11-Feb-13 19:13:34

Happy birthday Creme

Happy New Year Takeaway

No NSDs since last wed but...........my wedding dress has finally sold!!!! Has been online for months and months. Sold at the weekend for £500 which is not bad as wasn't expecting it!

Rellies still here so a few spendy days ahead but will get back on track next week

amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 11-Feb-13 19:14:37

Lent starts on Wednesday so I shall be giving up chocolate and booze. That will save me a good bit.

roguepixie Mon 11-Feb-13 19:18:04

Happy Birthday CremeEgg, I hope you had a wonderful day.

economymode Mon 11-Feb-13 19:30:23

£55 inc postage at Approved Food. All stuff we will use - flour, sultanas, raisins, seeds, tinned fruit, teabags etc.

Does anyone know where you can buy big bags of lentils fairly cheaply online? I know Asian supermarkets etc are good for that kind of thing, but our 'local' one is the other side of town (too far to walk with buggy) and not really accessible by car. I use lentils loads when cooking and they cost 99p for a small bag at coop etc.

jonbonjovismissus Mon 11-Feb-13 20:26:08

Please can I join in, bit late but nothing new there! Am quite good at food planning but OH has just been made redundant again (3rd time in 5 years) so really need to keep an eye on things........any tips gratefully received!

BornToFolk Mon 11-Feb-13 20:36:16

How do Approved Food deliver these days economy? I used to buy from them when I wasn't working but I can't really use them now that I am working and don't have a car! I do love them though, the only down side is all the cheap chocolate is hard to resist!
Have you tried Amazon for lentils?

I had a scary moment earlier. I checked my bank account and realised that Norton had taken £40 for the anti-virus software renewal. It was for an old lapto and I forgot I'd even had it. I chalked it up to a "stupid me" moment but then contacted Norton and they are going to refund it! Result!

Tomorrow will be an NSD, apart from milk.

Daffyboobface Mon 11-Feb-13 20:43:33

Happy birthday CremeEgg and happy half term to those it applies to. This morning I caught DS 'cleaning' the loo with DH's toothbrush and at dinner the baby hurled her plate to the floor and when I bent to pick it up she emptied her juice over my head. Monday cannot come around soon enough.

On the plus side, because I couldn't get down the lane in the stupid snow-hating car, it was an NSD.

13Iggis Mon 11-Feb-13 22:41:40

Thanks mikey9 just had my first slice of banana & honey load - soo scrummy. Great recipe grin

Helenagrace Mon 11-Feb-13 23:06:02

Leilandri care to share your mincemeat loaf and cinnamon frosting recipes pleeeeaassse? I have mincemeat leftover from Christmas and that sounds yummy.

Small top up shop today but very pleased with how the food budget is going.

Going to try making some fruit bread in the breadmaker tomorrow. The children love it for breakfast but fruit loaf is so expensive to buy.

roguepixie Tue 12-Feb-13 08:02:25

Righty-ho, NSD's on Saturday and yesterday. Need to go to butcher today so won't be a NSD today. I know I will be spending slightly tomorrow too so NSD's planned for Thursday and Friday this week. It is helping that DS is now making his way home from school himself (most of the way) and I am mainly meeting him at the bus-stop, which doesn't go past any shops!!!

Am also making my way through the contents of the freezer and trying to use the contents, rather than just put new stuff over the old.

Thank you to the poster who posted the banana bread recipes - that banana and honey one sounds delicious and I will be making that soon. That recipe sounds good Leilandri (mentioned by Helena ^^) - would you post it please?

Happy Pancake Day everyone. grin

IsThatTrue Tue 12-Feb-13 08:14:07

It is not going to be a NSD today as I have to post my eBay stuff and DS has a party sat so I will need to pick up presents. Hopefully I'll manage to grab a bargain hmm.

MavisGrind Tue 12-Feb-13 09:29:44

Off shopping today as the dcs are back from their dad's tomorrow so a meal plan of toast, toast, something random out of the freezer will not cut it anymore. As much as I miss them I have missed out almost a full week of food shopping (haven't actually food shopped this month yet) so that's good for the frugality.

Oh, and a good tip - make sure when batch cooking that you label your freezer bags. I thought was having mash, broad beans, peas and mince for tea the other night. Turns out, unspecified type of curry is suprisingly nice with mash and veg, even if it would have been better with rice!

BornToFolk Tue 12-Feb-13 10:17:41

grin Mavis! I've just started labelling my freezer tubs as I had far to many incidents of serving up what I thought was bolognaise, only to find it was curry! I use masking tape and a Sharpie.

Can someone please share how to make good homemade potato wedges? I'm going to do omlette for dinner and was going to cook some oven chips but then remembered that I've got a bag of spuds that could probably do with being eaten...

I've got a really nice banana bread recipe with oatmeal and walnuts. I'll post it later. It's very easy and freezes well too.

Thingymajigs Tue 12-Feb-13 10:18:29

We are doing a freezer/cupboard clear out too roguepixie. I took another look at my meal plans for the next 3 weeks and realised I could scrub out 99% of the planned meals and just put "whatever is in the freezer." .. I know how tricky it is when you have to walk past shops. Our school is a 2 mile walk away through the town centre so I go through there 4 times a day. That's where I hope NSD's and meal planning will help.
I am out of my £500 overdraft today! The plan is to stay that way. I was using it as if it was my own money for a good year. Long term plan: pay off holiday, start saving for birthdays and Christmas. Open an ISA for a retirement/emergency fund.
Does anyone know how I can give my family homemade cobs in their lunch boxes without it being slightly stale? The cobs need to be made up by 6.30-7am and eaten at 12.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now