Do we have a Frugal February thread yet?

(917 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 29-Jan-13 18:49:50

or Frugalbruary if you will?

If there is, point me too it. If not, do you want to join?

I had planned to not spend at all next month. Looks like I will be paying out on two rather big things so its even more important I rein in the wasteful spending.

This is my first frugal fred so I need some help and I know that a lot of you are really good at this sort of thing.

Anyone interested?

Leilandri Sun 10-Feb-13 19:18:02

Wasn't a NSD her after all. Took advantage of having no children, and tried to start tidying our garden between rainshowers but I felt so sorry for my muddy, sodden chooks that I popped into Poundland for tarpaulin. Spent £9!! But my chooks are looking considerably drier now wink Also got potato fertilizer - I was going to get some from garden centre yesterday but forgot, glad I did. Same size box with same ingredients was £6.99 shock
Spent £3.20 in morrisons too on full fat milk and tealight candles.

MrsDeVere Sun 10-Feb-13 19:26:35

DOnt be jealous fluffy I am not generously endowed! I just have a weird bra size grin

People never believe my size. Like I am going to lie about it, what am I? 12? hmm

If my back was a bit bigger my cup size would come down (or something)

Badvoc Sun 10-Feb-13 19:30:03

I am a 36f.
It's pants.
Bras cost ££££ and are all boulder holders.
Will check out t hat website.
Have taken the plunge and ordered a mooncup and some washable pads.
Figure it will save me money long term...

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 10-Feb-13 19:55:43

Badvoc I am toying with the idea of a moon cup - I spend probably £5+ a month on tampons and pads.

I am an H cup and a 34 back, so Bravissimo or Brastop are the only places I can get anything. I got 3 bras and a pair of knickers for my money today, so not too bad.

Economy - try and resist the urge to start leaping around, you will thank yourself in a couple of weeks! smile

Tomorrow I need bread and drinks for lunch boxes, and apples.

Badvoc Sun 10-Feb-13 20:05:10

I spent £20 on a mooncup and a pack of washable panty liners.
Will check out that website, never heard of it before.

ProphetOfDoom Sun 10-Feb-13 20:06:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Daffyboobface Sun 10-Feb-13 20:21:38

Arse. Was really pleased with with the eking out of the chicken, but have just burnt the pan dry while distracted by the DC, so now have no soup and a ruined pan.

Contemplating mooncup, but feel a bit squeamish about it, although its ridiculous, I know.

Badvoc Sun 10-Feb-13 20:26:53

Daffy - I know what you mean...been thinking about it for ages but am worried that the synthetic products that I currently use are contributing to thrush etc
I don't even want to contemplate the amount of money I have spent on sanitary protection during the last 30 years...

IsThatTrue Sun 10-Feb-13 20:32:02

Woohoo just sold an old old phone on eBay for 22.99 and swaddlepod for £4.70 (paid £10 used when ds2 was newborn for 1-2 weeks) the baby knotted cardigans didn't sell but oh well. Have managed to convince DH to list his htc desire upgrade that he hated and never used. They're going for around £100!

Daffyboobface Sun 10-Feb-13 20:34:19

Oh god, I know. And I really have better things to spend my money on than sodding tampons.

I am intrigued that they can reduce period pains. That's a double saving then, tampons and painkiller!

Badvoc Sun 10-Feb-13 20:35:25

Apparently so...if it helps my pmt dh will be very happy smile

mikey9 Sun 10-Feb-13 22:41:20

Right Alibaba and your nappies - some Banana Bread/Cake/Muffin recipes:
Teabread
8ox SR Flour
1/4 tsp bicarb soda
pinch salt
3ox butter
6ox caster
2 med eggs
1lb bananas (weighed with skins)
Optional 4oz chopped walnuts

180 degC overn - 2 lb loaf tin - lined/greased
Mix FLour/salf and bicarb
Cream butter sugar - then add eggs then flour
Add bananas and nuts
bake 1.25 hrs
Cool and eat...
-------------------
Banana and Honey Teabread
4oz marg
4oz light soft brown sug
4oz (we use 2 oz as it is expensive!!)
2 eggs
8oz sr flour
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg or cinammon
2 large bananas
squeexe of lemon juice

Beat marge sugar and honey - beat int he eggs and flour and spice
Mash bananas with lemon juice and fold them into mix
1-1.25 hrs at 180C - cover with foil top is it starts to burn

------------------
Banana muffins
3-4 mashed bananas
half cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup melted butter/marge
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 cups Plain flour

Mix wet ingredients together and dry together then fold dry into wet
Into muffin cases the 200C for 20 mins

(add walnuts or choc chips to your choice)

- I know I prob should be watching Top Gear or something instead but I do like a bit of baking.....smile

13Iggis Sun 10-Feb-13 23:03:28

Ooh, but what's the 3rd ingredient in the banana and honey one? Sounds lovely.
I haven't posted much as have yet to has a NSD. blush
And half-term now so likely to cost ££ - ds1 has already expressed a desire to go to the zoo, which would be about 40. though at least I could get to see the pandas

mikey9 Sun 10-Feb-13 23:45:17

Sorry - it should be obvious - third ingredient is .........HONEY!!

You can still taste it with half amounts frugaleers.

IsThatTrue Mon 11-Feb-13 03:17:23

Ooo mikey that tea bread sounds good! I'm going to have to try that! Well today will definitely be a NSD.

13Iggis Mon 11-Feb-13 08:19:53

[Doh]. Thank you!
Not that frugal homebaking fits in with my diet plans sad

13Iggis Mon 11-Feb-13 08:24:34

Oh and take it easy Economy, you have earned the right to a bit of a rest just now smile

Badvoc Mon 11-Feb-13 08:25:25

We have snow!
So it will be a baking day today smile
Will make a scones, cakes etc.

Thingymajigs Mon 11-Feb-13 08:42:47

Snow here too and it's the first day of half term. We've just made some cobs for lunches this week and now we're thinking about going to the grocers so not a NSD but I'm getting all the herbs, fruit and veg for the week. I'm not sure if the grocers is any cheaper than Tesco. It's difficult to work out sometimes. Ideally I'd get it all from the market but its not on until Thursday.
We've realised that DP's cat has to have Feliway (cat scent stress reliever) to stop him from biting at his back. The cost is extortionate at £14 for 48 ml but I guess they know that owners don't have any other choice so they can charge that much. It could be tap water in there for all I know.

Badvoc Mon 11-Feb-13 09:02:35

Half term here too.
Ain't be going out today.
Ds1 has just told me his has stomach ache.
Cosmic.

CremeEggThief Mon 11-Feb-13 10:19:02

Where have you got the snow? None here in County Durham. Well, not yet! Our half-term isn't until next week.

Spent £7.80 so far, on bus fare, a cake, pain-au-chocolats and naice coffee, as it's my birthday today. First one as a singleton since 1997!

My lovely DS (10) is going to treat me to dinner out later, probably at Cafe Rouge. Bless!

Badvoc Mon 11-Feb-13 10:49:46

We are in Leicestershire.

Badvoc Mon 11-Feb-13 10:50:21

Happy birthday! flowers

MavisGrind Mon 11-Feb-13 11:05:06

Morning all. Half term here too although the dcs are away at their dads for half of it so a small economy there.

Car in for its MOT today so hopes aren't high for a LSD.

Happy Birthday CremeEggThief! I hope you have a lovely day.

Has anyone any experience of using Music Magpie? I've been downloading cds onto iTunes and could do with getting shot of the CDs before they lose all value completely. I won't get much for them on MM so wondered if there's any alternative??

Happy birthday CremeEgg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now