Do we have a Frugal February thread yet?

(917 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 29-Jan-13 18:49:50

or Frugalbruary if you will?

If there is, point me too it. If not, do you want to join?

I had planned to not spend at all next month. Looks like I will be paying out on two rather big things so its even more important I rein in the wasteful spending.

This is my first frugal fred so I need some help and I know that a lot of you are really good at this sort of thing.

Anyone interested?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 09-Feb-13 21:20:35

Happy new year takeaway. Dh and I were both born in the year of the snake <irrevelant detail>.

CremeEggThief Sat 09-Feb-13 22:05:46

Enjoy fluffy smile.

Having a bit of a spendy weekend visiting some friends in the city we used to live in. And it's great! grin

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

takeaway2 Sat 09-Feb-13 22:18:25

Thanks fluffy!! Just marinated the beef. Yum! ;)

IsThatTrue Sat 09-Feb-13 22:25:38

Just made banana bread with the manky bananas (first time and will definitely do it again as it can be in the kids 'treat box' which means I won't be buying as many of those overpriced Cadbury treat packs and eating half myself . Also bought value chocolate today so going to make crispie cakes for cheap treats. fUsed the extra Yorkshire batter up by making Yorkshires and freezing. Leftover pork will make homemade Chinese tomorrow with leftover rice from Friday. Gosh I'm getting thrifty!

MrsDeVere Sat 09-Feb-13 22:41:50

Did you know you can freeze bananas and when you want to use them for baking you can let them defrost a bit, cut off the top and squeeze them out like toothpaste grin

IsThatTrue Sat 09-Feb-13 22:59:48

I had heard of freezing them but as freezer space is at a premium I thought I'd give the banana bread a whirl before I started storing manky bananas and DH had me certified grin I shall freeze from now on as I only made a very small 'loaf' with my 2 manky bananas. They tend to be eaten at a rate of knots in this house so being able to save the odd over ripe ones up will be a big help.

Just looked and we have cream about to expire so shall make some chocolate mousses for tomorrow's pudding. I knew I kept all the GU glass ramekins for a reason!

mikey9 Sun 10-Feb-13 08:43:02

Another tip for freezing bananas - peel 3 of them and put in freezer bag in freezer. For your banana loaf - then use them almost straight from the freezer.

We scored a full box of oversupplied bananas (that is a LOT of bananas) after working on a Marathon up here and couldn't have them going in the bin so froze loads of portions like this. Still using them up........

MavisGrind Sun 10-Feb-13 08:59:13

Morning all! A LSD here yesterday (just £1 on a raffle) and the weather today is rubbish to don't intend to leave the house so should be a NSD today.

Happy New Year Takeaway! Your feast sounds yummy!

1stMrsFrugal no real advise for going back to work except be as organised as you can be in the evenings. I put absolutely everything out for the morning - including water in the kettle and tea bags in the pot! I also get up a bit before the dcs as I still have to dress my youngest. If I'm already dressed and good to go, it seems less stressful. If everyone knows that there's no messing around on a work/school/nurdery day it might be easier however, I'm a LP so organisation has to be my middle name!

Have a frugal day everyone!

nappyaddict Sun 10-Feb-13 10:21:07

My NSDs are going to be Monday and Thursday this week. Tuesday is £2.50 on bus fare to the group I volunteer at, plus fruit/veg and meat shop. Wednesday I am meeting a friend for a pot of tea which is £1 each (we share a large £2 pot) Friday is £3.90 on bus fare plus a top up shop in Aldi.

IsThatTrue Sun 10-Feb-13 11:09:49

So I read somewhere I can prep veg and freeze. So it that just peel and chop veg and put in bags and freeze? If so I shall be doing that later. Been to the farm shop and got carrots, parsnip, apples, onions, brocolli, cauliflower, celery to last 2 weeks, for £8.90! shock I'll have to go there more often!

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sun 10-Feb-13 11:11:54

I've been ill this week so have had three NSDs in a row but I went to Aldi yesterday (£22) then to Sainsbury's (£7) for a few bits not available in Aldi, so spent about £30 on groceries. However I tend to top up on bread on a Tuesday and have realised today that I need a few more things that I'd forgotten, plus I need to buy a gift voucher for someone, so I expect a spend of around £25-30 on Tuesday. I need petrol, which I'll also get on Tues and my car tax reminder has arrived (£200 shock) which, you guessed it, I'll pay for online on Tuesday. I'm waiting until then because my tax credits go in on Tuesday. Thank god for TCs - I hate having to rely on them but I couldn't survive without them.

I've also got a few bits ending on eBay tonight which have watchers so I'm hopeful they'll sell. Just a heads up for those who use ebay - it's free listing weekend on eBay until midnight tonight. I'm going to trawl through the house this afternoon looking for more items to list.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 10-Feb-13 11:26:56

£5 on aldi wrinkle top.

The love food hate waste website tells you how to store veg etc so it lasts, I chop onions up and freeze. Carrots I fry off a bit and freeze so I can just chuck them into the pot for soup.

chasingtail Sun 10-Feb-13 11:32:22

Thanks for the tip Kitty - I have a few bits around the house to sell on eBay.

stormforce10 Sun 10-Feb-13 11:52:29

DP and I met some friends at the pub yesterday and got a round so that was £11.15. Otherwise it was NSD thankfully.

I'm going to go Aldi on Tuesday to do a top up shop. I've written a list around my meal plan. I really will try to stick to it

Thanks for the ideas about London. We've done science musuem and natural history before, I'm sorry I should have said. I looked on Time out and found that there is a museum of childhood and they're doing lots of things based on being a child in the 1980s! Horray I can play with rubix cubes and pacman and make care bear cards and I think dd will enjoy it too. I can't believe they've made my childhood into a museum piece I feel ancient. Next job is to find somewhere frugal and child friendly to eat in Bethnal Green grin

I'm going to book train tickets for Saturday now. We have a family and friends rail card so hopefully it won't break the bank. We only need singles

chasingtail Sun 10-Feb-13 11:58:12

Seeing all these ideas for London half term activities makes me wish we lived closer.

We live in Suffolk where they seems to be an abundance of farm activities (all at a price!) and about 3 museums. If the weather is crap there seems to be very little to do that doesn't cost loads sad

Helenagrace Sun 10-Feb-13 12:05:36

Had a lovely cheap weekend. The only spend was for breakfast in the hotel (£16 as children ate free) and lunch (£8 on sandwiches as I took crisps, drinks and cakes from home). Hotel night was free! Dover Castle entry was covered by our EH membership - that alone was half our annual membership shock.

Only need bread today. Just using up bananas to make two banana loaves for the freezer. <polishes frugal halo>

Mrs Frugal there are two fab threads on here about organisation. One is an AIBU thread which has a title something like "...to ask you all how you became organised. Like seriously how?" And the other one is something like "the LITTLE things that make you organised". I think that one was in Good Housekeeping. Both are long but well worth a read. If you can't find them search my username because I posted on both of them.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 10-Feb-13 15:40:07

Helena that sounds lovely weekend!

Well done on all the food frugality everyone - can anyone post a good banana loaf recipe? I used to use one in the MN recipe section that came out brilliantly every time, but it disappeared. I've tried a couple subsequently and they both came out very greasy and disappointing.

NSD yesterday.
Today I went bra shopping - £95. Much needed though so I don't feel guilty. £3 on parking and £8 in Starbucks, and £8 on my prescription.

economymode Sun 10-Feb-13 16:00:14

It's insane how much decent bras cost, Ali! I always put it off as long as I can.

MrEconomy has just taken EconomyBoy to the family session at the pool, wish I could go sad as it's loads of fun splashing round with him. That's £3.50 I think, as he's not a member.

I don't think I'm going to leave the house today. Having a bit of a feeling fat and frumpy day and wishing I could be active again. I know it'll come, but it's so frustrating having to sit down all day (still pretty sore post-birth), as it's completely not like me at all...

stormforce10 Sun 10-Feb-13 16:21:42

I think its going to be a no spend day. Phew.
Agree the price of bras is criminal Ali but it has to be done. I'm a sodding G-H cup so it always costs me a small fortune

MavisGrind Sun 10-Feb-13 17:54:01

NSD here as I haven't left the house. Mind you it's MOT day tomorrow so that will no doubt be spendy..

I'm always very envy of women who can pick up a bra anywhere, those of us who are of the odd size variety end up paying loads. Tis not fair <off to look at figleaves and reminds oneself that buying online is still spending money>

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 10-Feb-13 18:10:08

I'm in between a 28 and 30 back. It's not easy buying sexy bras at that size.

£13 on a DVD box set, dh has paid me half though.

Got to order lots of stuff for work but that's work spending not personal, I'm still going to shop around though.

MrsDeVere Sun 10-Feb-13 18:27:16

Fluffy I am a 30 F. Thats why I get my bras from BraStop. I LOVE that shop.
The trick is to get measured but also ask advice on what sort of shape you can wear.
I cannot wear bras with a high middle because it sticks in and hurts. So I get plunge styles.
Also have to have full cup because my shape has changed and I have lost the fullness at the top.

I used to get my bras for 6 quid a set from the supermarket. Those days are no more, not since DCs 4 &5.

I spent two years wearing the same JL teeshirt bras until MN introduced me to Bravissimo and Brastop grin

Scorps Sun 10-Feb-13 18:31:30

NSD here, and only spent £7 on a date yesterday &#9786;. Next week will be my first week of actually saving money in an account. Going to read thread now.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 10-Feb-13 18:40:09

envy F cup!

<sulks>

Scorps Sun 10-Feb-13 18:45:12

I have no boobs, like none. I don't really know why I wear a bra...I think it's so all the huge amounts of padding makes it look like I have small breats instead of none.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now