Do we have a Frugal February thread yet?

(917 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 29-Jan-13 18:49:50

or Frugalbruary if you will?

If there is, point me too it. If not, do you want to join?

I had planned to not spend at all next month. Looks like I will be paying out on two rather big things so its even more important I rein in the wasteful spending.

This is my first frugal fred so I need some help and I know that a lot of you are really good at this sort of thing.

Anyone interested?

ulcombebird Wed 30-Jan-13 16:45:52

I'm in as well. I spend a fortune on eBay. It's become a real habit that I need to break. I love the idea of writing down what you spend, just so I can see how many clothes I buy for my daughter!

I'd love to be a Frugaleer, too. Can I join please please?

We had a very no-spendy January as we were all ill and not in the mood for shopping and I am so pleased with how much we saved over the month. I am normally a massive fritterer of money but we need to put some savings away for various bits and bobs so I want to save on the basics.

I've been through my freezer and have twenty five dinners left so won't need much this month. Twenty five dinners! How the hell did that happen?

InNeedOfBrandy Wed 30-Jan-13 16:50:13

I'm in, I want a tv for my bedroom and new hallway, kitchen and bathroom flooring so need to stop wasting money.

Does anyone else find they end up spending money to save money? I bought a thermos keep warm cup to have on the bus stop instead of my usual £2 latte but the cup was a tenner and I still need to use my own stuff so ok in 2 weeks it will of paid for itself but it's still spending in the first place. I could always wait till I get into work and have one for free!

MrsDeVere Wed 30-Jan-13 16:52:56

Years ago when I worked in Camden.
I wrote down my spends.
I worked out I spent £40 per month on COFFEE!

Writing down stuff does help with the daily frittering.

I used to save money by going to charity shops. Until I worked out I was 'saving' about £60 a month in them hmm

Does anyone else find that sorting and clearing helps with non-spending? I find I get a similar sort of buzz from it.

NicknameTaken Wed 30-Jan-13 16:53:49

Can I join in? For the last month I've been writing down my daily spend, and it's consistently more than I expected. Those bloody M&S dine-in for two offers derail my food budget. It's made me a lot more conscious about the savings from bringing a packed lunch to work though, so that's one good thing already.

One of the benefits of having a massive spending habit over a number of years is that one (ie me wink ) can find almost anything at the back of a cupboard somewhere in the house.

MrsDeVere Wed 30-Jan-13 16:55:54

InNeed yes I have been guilty of that in the past. Sometimes it is an excuse to spend without feeling guilty grin

You have to be careful not to fall into that trap and only buy what you really need to save money.

Like you say, you could have just gone without the coffee and saved that way.
Its something I am really watching this time. My first thought is usually 'oh I will need a new pen and pad and some sort of filing system and some storage and recipe card holder and.......'

not.this.time.

bluecarrot Wed 30-Jan-13 16:56:13

You will have the thermos cup for a long time, so its a good investment. Also good for picnics. It helps keep you warm in these cold mornings and you can refill it for free before leaving work each day smile

MDV - I think thats a great goal to have. Been looking into those myself and nearly fell over at the price, plus caravan has to be a certain age or wont be kept on site! Would rather like to do a renovation job on one and just have it in the back garden but the last thing I need is more storage and another "project"!

InNeedOfBrandy Wed 30-Jan-13 16:56:48

I do that mrsD and thats not counting the weekend ones with cake grin I find it easier to think it's a tenner a week but yes your right it's £40 a month!

I grabbed a load of boxes from work so this weekend I'm going through my 3 massive built in cupboards, hopefully it will give me the juust bought something new buz!

InNeedOfBrandy Wed 30-Jan-13 16:58:03

bluecarrot I have a thermos flask for picnics, I could even take that with me but I wanted a cup blush

chasingtail Wed 30-Jan-13 17:02:14

Can I join?? Have just forked out a kings ransom on teeth braces and need to claw back at least £3k asap.

Am determined to spend as little as poss during Feb but not looking forward to prospect of half term in a few weeks!

MrsDeVere Wed 30-Jan-13 17:11:17

All welcome.

bluecarrot Wed 30-Jan-13 17:22:39

I bring a big thermos of tea when I drive anywhere - in town I go back to the car for a cereal bar and a cup of tea half way through a shopping day. When travelling I like it as an excuse for a break in long journeys. I like to randoly stop in forest parks for a dander if we arent in a hurry so a picnic already in the car is great smile

When I just have my handbag, I carry a reusable bottle of water. HOwever, I read about the flylady bottles keeping hot drinks warm. Im going to the states in a few weeks and VERY tempted to buy two (one for hot, one for cold drinks) I know I will get moneys worth...

anklebitersmum Wed 30-Jan-13 17:40:49

I've done new backpacks, flasks, bedding for all the beds, wall decals for the girls and DS2's Birthday and Christmas presents already this month. I also bought really big X-mas decorations for next year blush

I have however, given up smoking and am determined to e-bay all the stuff that's beginning to make my cupboards look like something off 'The hoarder next door' whilst eating the freezer stocks down to nothing by the time we move in June.

Do I qualify to join even if I keep buying for Birthdays and Christmas?

Lovecat Wed 30-Jan-13 17:47:34

I need to ebay DD's outgrown clothes. Usually I pass them on to my sister for her little girl but now they're 7/8 they're pretty much the same size (they're 10 months apart so to begin with she had everything off me) so I can flog it off. Just need to take photos of the bundles and organise it all. I've never sold on Ebay before, is it as straightforward as it seems?

VariousBartimaeus Wed 30-Jan-13 17:54:47

oh I have a tip!

We weigh our rice before cooking it. We worked out how much we'd normally have, and now whenever we cook rice Dh and I say how much we want depending on how hungry we are (although I did discover once when DH was away that I don't usually get my whole portion because I did my normal amount and had way too much! grin)

So no left overs. We do the same with potato and I keep meaning to do it with pasta but I do my portion by putting the dry pasta in a bowl first and DH does it by handfuls hmm

I'll join! Need to save money to afford some building work on the house. Three birthdays in our house in January so its been expensive, but Feb is for saving. Have been really ruthless with the food shop- look through all the cupboards before going shopping to check I don't have something or an alternative already.

Meal planning for Mon- Fri and then when I go to the supermarket on a Friday I go straight to the "discounted shelf" or look at the meat/fish which is being cut back last thing on Friday and base a meal around what is on offer.

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Wed 30-Jan-13 18:05:14

I'd like to join in! On mat leave and have expensive month with birthdays, MOTs, car tax looming. Very crap at not spending but since mat leave its all got a bit more serious. We dont laugh get the money out of the bank and stuff it in envelopes marked for petrol, weekly shop, coffees out, other expenses, etc, and then when it is gone, its gone. There's always a certain amount of exchanging envelopes at the last week, but better than previous habit of the last week of the month going on the credit card.

chasingtail Wed 30-Jan-13 18:08:20

lovecat get thee to eBay! I have sold a mountain of stuff and while, yes it can be a bit of a faff photographing and listing, you soon learn and it gets quicker.

You'll be amazed how easily children's stuff sells ( be realistic about the price ) and even though I've not made my first million, it gives me a buzz to see those few pounds come in smile

anklebitersmum Wed 30-Jan-13 18:13:45

Lovecat just take the best photos you can and price to sell. If you have branded stuff don't be scared to flaunt it.

Easter weekend everyone. Supermarkets are actually shut on Easter Sunday so there are splendiferous bargains to be had on the Saturday evening. Blueberries at 10p for 200g last year-and they freeze!

fuzzypicklehead Wed 30-Jan-13 18:22:07

I'm in. I know I can cut some spending if I just get organized...

ifso Wed 30-Jan-13 18:25:12

like this thread

how do you actually save the money - ie do you put it in a jar, or a savings acct a start of the month? i usually have several NSD's throughout the week, but never actaully take money and squirrel it away for these days i havent spent anything iyswim

i like the envelopes idea madamegazelle i may start doing that too

chasingtail Wed 30-Jan-13 18:27:13

madam I think putting the money into envelopes sounds v sensible!

I've tried loads of time to budget and have done the MSE budgeting spreadsheet, but there's always unforeseen expenditure which seems to blow the whole thing out the water.

ifso Wed 30-Jan-13 18:30:25

or, at the end of each day would it be best to transfer online the exact amount i didnt spend that day directly across to an online saver acct?

or weekly or something? I just dont want to keep having hard NSD's without seeing the cash i have actually saved iyswim

MooMooSkit Wed 30-Jan-13 18:31:58

What i've been doing lately is writing down every meal for every day of the week and sticking to shopping lists when i go food shopping. Plus cheap meals to so buy a 750gram pack of mince thats cottage pie and spag bol for us in one week so two meals sorted. Always buy spag bol sauce thats on offer as i'm crap at making it. I don't stick to brands either lately, i used to only get certain thigns like catherdral city cheese now its whatever is on offer at the time.

Swapping brands to. We have a biscuit tin in our house and used to buy mcvities biscuits, fox's etc when tesco basic biccies like bourbons and custard creams taste the same.

I do like a drink to and i do believe your allowed a treat but stopped getting smirnoff vodka, changed to a cheaper brand, mixers i'll make sure i buy bottles of drinks in offers etc.

Silly things like that do add up my problem is days out with littleun and things like soft play and a lunch out, the zoo, all adds up! roll on summer lots of free things to enjoy like the beach, picnics etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now