Do we have a Frugal February thread yet?

(917 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 29-Jan-13 18:49:50

or Frugalbruary if you will?

If there is, point me too it. If not, do you want to join?

I had planned to not spend at all next month. Looks like I will be paying out on two rather big things so its even more important I rein in the wasteful spending.

This is my first frugal fred so I need some help and I know that a lot of you are really good at this sort of thing.

Anyone interested?

MavisGrind Sun 03-Feb-13 20:20:49

A NSD here today and another 3 or possibly 4 this week if I can manage not to spend anything on Thursday.

I've made a big batch of soup which will do my lunches all week and have made a banana loaf for treats. I'm quite lucky that my dcs are fussy eaters as it means we get through a lot of pasta!

IsThatTrue Sun 03-Feb-13 20:29:02

Just listed 4 bits on eBay, shall draft some more listings later tonight and list them tomorrow. The eBay iPhone app is really simple for listings.

Leilandri Sun 03-Feb-13 20:34:44

NSD here today. Spent the day at home with both DS's and my friend's little boy too, as she had to work. Gained a box of chocs as a thankyou smile
Dinner was toad in the hole, roasties, cauli cheese, broccoli and sweetcorn. All from freezer/cupboards smile

Going to spend the day with my cousin tomorrow, so will take box of chocs as lunch contribution! Will pop to lidl on way home for some fruit/veg. Should be about a tenner.

Great news about the house Helena hope it all goes through smoothly.

Thatsinteresting Sun 03-Feb-13 21:45:39

We had toad in the hole too but ours was with peas, carrots and mash. Only used half the gravy as only dh has it so the rest went in the freezer as it's a faff making it and I'm guessing we'll be have the same meal in a week or two as I go through the stuff in the freezer and the sack of potatoes.

I've deleted all the interesting apps from my phone to stop me 'just looking' while feeding ds or sitting with him as he drops off. I think I'll save a lot.

I've realised I could do with some mushrooms but even with those I think food shop this week will be under £35. leilandri how is your food budget working?

I'm using washing gloop but the whites are starting to look dull/grey. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Good news about the house Helena

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 03-Feb-13 21:53:47

Twice the amount of gloop and don't press the quickwash button. Mine are ok, I wash them at 40 but years ago I read whites need double detergent because otherwise dirt isn't lifted out properly.

Failing that homebargains do whitener sachets 4 for a £1. I use them every so often because my work uniforms have navy trim on them.

stormforce10 Sun 03-Feb-13 22:01:25

NSD so that's 3 out of the 10 I'm aiming for this month

Tomorrow is mum and baby group so a couple of quid in the pot. Then I'll buy the birthday presents I need (no idea what) and pop into the card factory or similar for cards and wrapping paper.

I don't think we need anything else until Thursday by which time we'll need bread and milk

I am gently fuming with dd who left a brand new packet of ham out of the fridge and the cat ate the lot. that's £2 down the drain (or at least in the cat) Looks like we'll just be having cheese omlettes on Wednesday rather than ham and cheese. Never mind, still going to try to go without doing a food shop other than those thigns this week

AdoraBell Mon 04-Feb-13 01:40:59

Quick up date, will read through later.

Picked up misery guts OH, £2.40 on roads, £8 on an English language magazine for me and a snack for DDs, £60 on petrol.

I plan NSDs for tomorrow and Tuesday at least.

Thingymajigs Mon 04-Feb-13 08:04:51

stormforce that must be so annoying. I once had to abandon an entire packet of salmon after my cats got to it.
Unexpected NSD for me today as ds2 is off school with a cold. Not being able to get to town made me realise I don't even need half the things on my list anyway so I have crossed them off.
Couple of things that might help someone:
Pet owners, if you seem to be spending far too much on pet food/supplies then you might want to try zooplus.co.uk. Cheapest prices I can find for the products we buy like Purina 1 Sensitive (one of our cats has a very delicate stomach so all three eat this expensive food) and okö cat litter. We buy in bulk too which cuts out delivery costs.
And I'm just browsing moneysavingexpert.com right now. Some great advice on switching gas/electricity/mobile/broadband suppliers and top ISA deals which I'm thinking about atm.
Thanks to the poster who pointed out the organised home site btw. I have printed off the 'monthly meal planners' and 'favourite recipe' sheets.

Buffty Mon 04-Feb-13 08:24:43

Hello, may I join please? I need to cut down on my spending as I have decided not to go back to work from maternity leave.

Hopefully today should be a NSD as I'm planning to spend the day painting the playroom.

I don't know if anyone is interested in some free chocolates but you can get some through Topcashback here. You have to spend £7.99 on the chocolates but get £7.99 back in cashback.

NicknameTaken Mon 04-Feb-13 10:46:27

Waving at all the Kerrywomen (and Corkwomen!). I might have known where I'd find ye....(from a UK-resident Kerrywoman).

Spent rather a lot yesterday - lunch out with a friend, cinema ticket, newspapers. I don't care for once, as I thoroughly enjoyed everything I spent my money on.

Going to pick up a few things in Iceland today <brings down tone of thread>. My veggie-avoidant 5-year old DD eats their veggie burgers. I'm wary of cheap meat, but cheap veggie products can't be too bad, can they?

StainlessSteelCat Mon 04-Feb-13 11:03:33

1 NSD so far, today should be another, then weekly food shop tomorrow, followed by (hopefully) three more NSD. I like to be optimistic! Even more optimistically, the food shop will be under £30 ... hmm, I can dream.

LargeLatte Mon 04-Feb-13 11:14:16

Not sure if its been mentioned already but I save loads on washing powder as I use the green plastic eco-balls with soap nuts. Spent about £20 on mine a couple of years ago and they are still going strong.

CremeEggThief Mon 04-Feb-13 11:32:19

£1.74- on milk and two creme eggs! smile

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 04-Feb-13 11:41:49

Today will be a NSD. (Hopefully)

The forms arrived for my tv licence refund so I'll fill that in and get it sent off.

Yogurt making attempt #1 is more pouring yogurt than set so I need to strain it, but a litre cost me 59p not £2.50 so I can live with it. But it is very easy to do.

Dededum Mon 04-Feb-13 11:42:21

£2.20 on parking while I go to yoga. Have to leave the house, been stuck indoors with DS1 all weekend who has nasty flu. Slowly climbing the walls. Escaping whilst Ds2 at school - please, please don't want him to get ill!!

chasingtail Mon 04-Feb-13 11:53:51

Latte I take it the soap nuts really work then? Even on disgusting school school shirts? What do you use to make your washing smell nice?

AdoraBell Mon 04-Feb-13 12:19:41

Storm that is annoying.

Buffyy. hello and welcomesmile

I'm not spending today, no reason to go out and no car to use. I'm currently watching quails marauding in my garden, which means OH has left the poor dogs chained up. My ankle is giving me trouble so I'm still horizontal but I can't leave them there. it's supposed to be a quick fix while the gate is open, not a bloody permanent solutionangry

MrsDeVere Mon 04-Feb-13 12:52:27

I didn't spend any money yesterday grin
I went to a Boots outlet for something specific and I DIDNT buy anything else, even though they didn't have the thing I went for!

MrsDeVere Mon 04-Feb-13 12:55:03

AND I am making stock from last night's chicken.
Don't ask me what I am going to do with it when I have made it though...

IsThatTrue Mon 04-Feb-13 13:01:57

mrsDV I'm making stock from yesterday's chicken bones later when I make curry. I'll use mine as the stock for next weeks lunch soups, I'm thinking carrot although if I want coriander i would have to buy some and I'm not planning on going anywhere near the shops this week.

NSD today. And have some watchers on my eBay items smile

GaryBuseysTeeth Mon 04-Feb-13 13:02:04

I'm such a dope, I've been looking at the last thread wondering why it's no longer active. Why did no one tell me it was Feb!!

NSD yesterday, hoping for another today.
We did end up in the cinema on Saturday (cheaper to go Sat Morn, than Fri night)..but I got to look at Jason Momoa on the big screen, and you can't really put a price on that. grin

Buffty, congrats on the non-return to work!

HearMyRoar, hurrah for the Jumperoo eBay listing price!
We've got two cheaper activity centres taking up space & I can't decide if we should keep them both (one lives at a friends when DS was small enough for it) or get shot of one, as DC#2 is due to arrive August....I hate massive bits of plastic baby tat!

northender Mon 04-Feb-13 13:03:01

MrsD I've got stock from Saturday's chicken. Am thinking of a biryani type thing with leftover chicken, curry paste, rice and veg.
My only spend today should be £15 for dd to go on a cubs trip in May.
Meals planned for the week so should be a very low spend week.

MrsDeVere Mon 04-Feb-13 13:10:43

Sorry Gary I am a cheeky newbie to this stuff and I just up and started my own thread grin

welcome.

I am a veggie so won't use the stock for my soups but I can freeze it and bung it in when I make stuff for the rest of the family. I have been lazy with the cooking lately but am planning more stews and stuff.

DC4 will not be best pleased but he will have to get used to it <mean>

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 04-Feb-13 13:23:04

So much for a NSD hmm

£80 on filling the car up shock

£1.09 retrieving an item from the Post Office

£39 in Sainsbury's, mainly on nappies, wipes and pull-ups. Enough to last until the end of the month. Also needed bread, eggs, tampax crumpets and chocolate

Can I join? i am terrible with money and need to stop frittering my money away.

I have decided with to start with a few challenges:
- buy no new craft supplies for a year (unless it is small bits which are essential for the project eg: thread)
- try to reduce consumption of San Pelligrino and drink herbal tea instead. I have worked out that I drink an eye watering £1,100 a year!!! Would appreciate tips to curb children fruit juice drinking too.

That'sinteresting for the whites: normally I used soap nuts as detergent. For the whites I add a third of a cup of borax substitute and I put some white wine vinegar in the conditioner compartment.
If the laundry is really soiled I rub the stains with alep soap and if needed soak them for a bit. If they need whitening, soak them in warm water with lemon juice and if you can dry them in the sun. All cheap as chips and a lot more effective than whatever chemicals you would buy in the shops

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now