Do we have a Frugal February thread yet?

(917 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 29-Jan-13 18:49:50

or Frugalbruary if you will?

If there is, point me too it. If not, do you want to join?

I had planned to not spend at all next month. Looks like I will be paying out on two rather big things so its even more important I rein in the wasteful spending.

This is my first frugal fred so I need some help and I know that a lot of you are really good at this sort of thing.

Anyone interested?

Mum2Fergus Tue 29-Jan-13 18:56:36

There is now! Evening!! Let the frugality commence...I (Solicitors willing!) move house w/end of 22 Feb so all systems go in terms of planning. Have been Ebaying lits and have almost enough in Paypal to cover removal costs...however really need to stick to my weekly cash budget.

Got car back today and all repairs covered under warranty...result! Still eating from freezer/cupboards and thats going well too smile

MrsDeVere Tue 29-Jan-13 18:59:34

Huzzah!

Well I have behaving like its still Christmas all month blush
I am always like that in January. I have a few birthdays including my late DD's so I do quite a lot of comfort spending.
Now its time to stop!

I tried to ebay but I have to verify my account first. I sold a few months ago so is this a new thing? Its vair annoying but I am sure I will work it out.

What is your weekly budget if you don't mind me asking?

MrsDeVere Tue 29-Jan-13 19:00:48

Well done with raising all the dosh btw!

TinyDiamond Tue 29-Jan-13 23:25:42

I'll join in too. I've been on the January nsd thread it really motivated me. hoping for the same for Feb we are saving for our wedding and honeymoon

bluecarrot Wed 30-Jan-13 01:42:42

I'd like to join too pls. DP and I are going to NYC on 16th feb for 10 days (inc travel) so rest of month I'm trying to stick to NSDs and LSDs ( low spend- not drugs!) grocery shop aim is £40 per week inc top ups of bread and milk. No travel or random expenses expected until the day we leave. At most, we will go to the cinema kids club (£1 per child)

Will take a lot of will power!

Marking my place.

I'm in. Crazy Pup has to go to the vet tomorrow for a sore, puffy, hairless and itchy red eye setting us back at least £60. As of next week I have to tighten out belts to be able to meet the rent, internet, phone etc payments.

TicTacSir Wed 30-Jan-13 03:18:31

Hello all... count me in, too!! £650 vet bill this wk. need an emoticon for generally feeling frazzled, skint and exhausted

MrsDeVere Wed 30-Jan-13 09:36:38

Hi Frugaleers! I won't be on much today because I am work. Be about later smile
Gird your loins for tomorrow!

I've decided that for the whole of Feb I am going to write down every penny I spend so I have to be honest with myself where the money is going. We are spending a fair bit on the house on the next few months (we bought house in need of significant refurbishment) so I really need to keep on top of the finances.

MooMooSkit Wed 30-Jan-13 14:22:20

Chazs great idea, I will be doing the same, i'd like to have a good couple of hundred left after februarys rent comes out to put in the savings!

ThenWeTakeBerlin Wed 30-Jan-13 14:28:48

Brilliant idea Chaz I've slipped out of the habit of doing it and I need to start again!

It was the best thing for keeping my finances in order.

PootlePosyPerkin Wed 30-Jan-13 14:42:03

I'm in. After a £1200 garage bill this month, the bloody thing has developed yet another problem (different parts and, to be fair, the garage did warn us that more things may go wrong before fixing it last time) - so it's off to the scrap yard (well, being eBayed as spares or repair) and I have to go car shopping at the weekend sad.

Definitely a bread & water month for me. Although bread's actually quite expensive blush.

Lovecat Wed 30-Jan-13 15:01:50

I'm in. Although I have a weekend away on Friday (which is why I need the rest of the month to be a cheap one!). We need several things doing on the house (roof leak, gutter repair etc.) so I have to stop spending money and start saving it...

Great idea to write everything down. I do it for what I eat and it makes a huge difference.

thunksheadontable Wed 30-Jan-13 15:32:19

Me too.

We are beginning a major drive to be mortgage free by 40 (72K ish outstanding, want to move to a little cottage in the rural Irish countryside in a few years and be able to afford more babies so this is The Dream). 6 years of living frugally is the plan, who knows what it will really be like though!

This is my last month of SMP too and planning to save it and the children's benefit and then live on dh's salary for the next three months.

Having a NSD today, intend to have at least 3 a week, even more if I can. Who is wise about how to stock up a cupboard for this? What are no brainer savers that anyone can recommend? I have the housekeeping ability of a gnat, it is very new to me so all tips very welcome!

LivingThings Wed 30-Jan-13 15:37:19

Would love to join too. I seriously need to curb unnessary spending (food/groceries mostly). Good idea about the list Chaz - will try that as would help to see where im wasting most. Got car tax at end of month too grr!

Morebiscuitsplease Wed 30-Jan-13 16:03:02

Feb & March give us a little slack as no council tax to pay. smile

VariousBartimaeus Wed 30-Jan-13 16:10:29

I'm in.
I started noting all our expenses in January just to check that the budget I'd planned on mat leave still worked.

Double effect - saw where the money is going and made me stop and think before I spent anything because I didn't want to have to write it down!

My main aim is to just really consider each purchase. For example, I wanted to buy a new winter coat (current one has loads of holes in the lining and I've never really liked it). Decided to wait for the sales. Then I realised that we're TTC this summer, so next Winter I won't fit into any coat bought today...so why not wait until the Winter after (so Winter 2014) before buying a new coat.grin

I'm in! To cut down costs, we are moving at the end of February. The new place is smaller, but will be much less to run. We are moving an apartment block, but as we are ground floor, we will still have a lot of outdoor space. I plan on doing a lot of container gardening this season.
It also comes with access to a full gym, so that will save money and excuses about getting strong and fit.
We are using up everything in the freezer, fridge and cupboards before moving, so we may end up with some really odd meals! grin
I love the idea of writing down all spending, I have trouble sticking to it though blush so I may need some encouragement there (or good old fashioned ass kicking).

MrsDeVere Wed 30-Jan-13 16:24:36

Hello again Frugaleers (I KNOW if I keep using it will become a real word grin)

I took lunch today so have not spent any money. I also thought Frugalruary started tomorrow but it's Friday innit blush

Oh well.

I have a dream. I dearly want a static caravan (don't laugh). I want to save enough to cover site fees for a few years so we can buy the van without worrying about the upkeep.

So I am hoping to get back into the habit of frugal living. We are on a fairly low income so I am not extravagant but I still buy loads of stuff I don't need. Shopping is a comfort thing for me too so I really need to drop that habit.

Do we need a list of our goals/dreams/aims to keep us motivated? Long term and/or short term?

MrsDeVere Wed 30-Jan-13 16:27:21

thunks I can recommend Love Food Hate Waste for tips on food and leftovers.
That might help you with your store cupboard and save you buying when you might already have what you need in. It gives info on portion size too so you don't waste.
We hardly chuck any food away now.

If you google you should find it smile

MrsDeVere Wed 30-Jan-13 16:29:12

I think I will go through my emails and unsubscribe from all the shopping ones.
I can never resist a bit of online bargain shopping late at night when get one of those bloody 'SALE NOW ON' emails.

bluecarrot Wed 30-Jan-13 16:36:06

thunks - are you already in Ireland?

No real storecupboard work required if you can keep shopping to once a week Just buy milk with long date, and freeze bread to keep it fresh. Plan meals with fresh veg for few days after shopping day, and use frozen in the last few days. Im currently planning to keep shopping to once a fortnight. My new freezer is small so no real scope for freezing many meals. However, there is only two of us atm and our dinner meal plan is:

Shopping day - Pizza & pot wedges
Wednesday - make a basic beef and lentil mince base (onion, carrot etc) and make enough for 2 nights of each :
Bolognese & pasta
Chilli con carne & rice
Lasagna & pot wedges
Stuffed peppers

Roast potato dinner
Chicken curry (using curry paste, frozen peas)
chicken fajitas (using frozen sliced peppers)
Dinner at mums x 2

Lunches for me is soup, dd has school dinners in week and soup or beans on toast

bluecarrot Wed 30-Jan-13 16:36:29

roast potato dinner? I meant roast chicken dinner!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now