Embarrassment at buying Value items at the suprmarket

(133 Posts)
Bumblequeen Fri 11-Jan-13 18:26:07

I buy in Sainsbury, Asda, Lidl and I only buy the shop's products or value items such as biscuits, sweets and other bits. I somstimes feel embarrassed at the till especially when people in queue have trolleys full of luxury products products working people should be able to afford.

We do not buy red meat as too expensive. Only eat chicken and fish.

Budgeting for food shopping is soul destroying. I love food, preparing, cooking and eating it.

TheDuchessofDukeStreet Sat 10-Sep-16 06:33:39

We were amused by a lady heading inti Lidl with Harrods bags!

lilacclery Fri 09-Sep-16 15:11:13

Need this thread in my TIO!

BeMorePanda Tue 06-Sep-16 16:26:59

The thing is, if someones mind is so tiny and narrow that they are going to make a judgement about what is in a persons trolly, why on earth would you care about their opinion anyway?

BeMorePanda Tue 06-Sep-16 16:24:14

Value corn chips are by far my fav - they are they only ones without all the excessive flavourings and have much less salt. They rock.

I'm not on a super tight budget (yet) but I shop with an eye to cost. I buy very few branded goods, down to preference, and usually anything branded I buy will be on special.

Top brands tend to have more sugar, fat, salt etc and cost more due to inflated advertising budgets rather than better quality food.

mrsbrightside3 Tue 06-Sep-16 16:11:04

I buy value stuff all the time. Once you know the products that are as good as branded why wouldn't you? And I always thought everyone else was the same nowadays. Sure there are people who have no choice, but that isn't for me to judge other peoples fortune / misfortune. No on ever knows other peoples lives just by what they have in their shopping trolley.

We have a £150 a week shopping budget for a family of 5 (3 teen dc and me and dh). How we do it is we shop for 5 days of dinners / lunches etc and buy cheap / reduced / fresh / lots of veg etc, This usually comes to £40 - £60 a week depending on how many toiletries / cleaning products are needed. Then with the remainder of the money (usually up to £100) we treat the teen dc to a meal out (which is proving nice family time now they are all off out and away all the time) or a nice takeaway, or a date night for me and dh. This has improved our family time and couple time. Me and dh both work f/t so it means we often don't cook for a couple of nights week due to being able to treat ourselves - hence more time spent together and as a family.

scaryteacher Sun 28-Aug-16 18:02:58

I buy stacks of own brand chopped tinned tomatoes from a local supermarket in Belgium. They are the best I've ever found. I buy own brand rice and bring g it back to Belgium, ditto tomato puree, Waitrose value pasta etc...why not? If it's as good, it leaves more for craft stash buying!!!

chocoLit Sat 27-Aug-16 08:18:40

Fairly sure nobody gives a toss about anyone else's trolley hmm If they do they have too much time on their hands.

If it bothers you that much then have it delivered or do click & collect or go through the god awful self serve check outs

midnightlurker Sat 27-Aug-16 08:16:56

Why be embarrassed? Some of the Tesco basics stuff is great - fewer additives and more healthy. Growing up, we cooked from scratch and bought the cheapest of everything. Not because we had no money, but because my dad didn't believe in wasting his money on packaged food. As a retired man, he has enough saved to pay for my mum's care and for whatever he needs. Like others, I don't look at other people's trollies!

RowenaDahl Sat 27-Aug-16 08:10:26

I think you will find that most people are more concerned what people are thinking about their trolley than looking at what is in yours.

Why on earth do you care what other people who you don't even know think?

maggiethemagpie Fri 26-Aug-16 14:20:12

The only time I've been embarrassed at the checkout was when the totality of my shopping trolley was a packet of biscuits and a 12 pack of durex. I tried to hide the durex behind the biscuits. And failed. Now THAT was embarrasing!

SEWannabe Sun 07-Apr-13 21:25:37

I do most of my shop in Lidl, but get some bits and bobs from Tesco (but only their Everyday Value basics range).
I can get a bit embarrassed if i see one of the mums from school, when i have a basket full of value items, but i try not to care.
What's important is that i can feed my family.

PS- I'll have you know that Tesco Value Jaffa Cakes are lovely!

expatinscotland Sun 07-Apr-13 17:27:39

Why be embarrassed? Do people honestly care?

TheSecondComing Sun 07-Apr-13 17:25:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Asinine Sun 07-Apr-13 17:14:04

I have no embarrassent buying any value product except gin (decant into posh bottle) which I admit does feel a bit seedy, especially in our small town. But compared to buying pregnancy tests, it's a walkover.

ethelb Thu 04-Apr-13 21:53:49

I know this is a bit of a zombie thread but I have never considered someone buying value items. I worked in a pharmacy for a while and was v judgemental about people who bought neurofen etc rather than generic ibruprofen.
Plus I do a big online supermarketshop of value/basics staple stuff, but v little fresh food as I have a cheap veg box and monthly freerange meat delivery. So a) you wouldnt see my trolley and b) it doesnt tell the whole story.

WhitesandsofLuskentyre Thu 04-Apr-13 16:53:40

I've just done a self-scan Waitrose shop and I walked round the store putting all my stuff in a huge Aldi carrier smile.

Groovee Mon 11-Mar-13 18:34:03

The only thing I do look for is ring pulls because I struggle to use a tin opener. Asda value range have them on them the rest don't.

iclaudius Mon 11-Mar-13 18:13:51

Auto correct - not 'crisp' 'CRAP'but crisp quite apt in this case!!

iclaudius Mon 11-Mar-13 18:13:06

In fact I have been known to hide crisp under veg

iclaudius Mon 11-Mar-13 18:12:33

I am dead proud to buy value brands and own brand stuff and would not dream of judging others for such.
I am only ever ashamed of my shopping if there's crap in there

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Mon 11-Mar-13 18:09:43

Op totally know that feeling. Doesn't bother me with some products but others yes it does.

KirstyJC Mon 11-Mar-13 14:06:39

I get a bit embarrassed when I see other people with fruit and veg in their trollies and not just all frozen crap like mine grin, but I couldn't care less about value brands or not.

SayMama Mon 11-Mar-13 14:02:54

If anything, I'm a bit smug about my value products grin I'm happy to pay 44p for a packet of Asda Smart Price digestives, because theirs honestly no difference between them and McVities. Same goes for SP Garlic bread, Asda own washing powder, SP bleach, SP jaffa cakes to name just a few.

NanaRamma Mon 25-Feb-13 14:40:34

Ive switched from buying del monte bannanas to the tesco value range - virtually identical tasting for 30% less price!

StuffezLaBouche Thu 21-Feb-13 20:30:05

A couple of months ago my mum and I were hosting a big event and on the morning we decided we didnt have enough alcohol. Going up to the checkouts with a trolley filled to the brim with beers, wines and spirits on a sunday morning was the only time ive worried i might be judged!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now