Embarrassment at buying Value items at the suprmarket

(123 Posts)
Bumblequeen Fri 11-Jan-13 18:26:07

I buy in Sainsbury, Asda, Lidl and I only buy the shop's products or value items such as biscuits, sweets and other bits. I somstimes feel embarrassed at the till especially when people in queue have trolleys full of luxury products products working people should be able to afford.

We do not buy red meat as too expensive. Only eat chicken and fish.

Budgeting for food shopping is soul destroying. I love food, preparing, cooking and eating it.

duchesse Tue 05-Feb-13 12:40:56

Sorry for thread derail, but, ArbitraryUsername I love your moniker!

Why thank you. It is... Erm... Arbitrary! grin

DreamingOfTheMaldives Mon 11-Feb-13 16:13:24

Some of the value products are exactly the same as the own brand products, just in different packaging! I read this somewhere and that the batch code/factory code will often be identical meaning it is the same product.

I noticed this with Tesco Value and Tesco own brand part bake baguettes.

Don't be embarrassed about your shopping OP as long as it's not full of junk food

EMUZ Wed 13-Feb-13 01:50:03

I only feel bad about it since a guy filmed me angrysad
There were probably 4 of us at the reduced section and he said (really loudly) "look at this, scum of the town like f'in vultures. Gonna put this on youtube so people can see the Scrotes of the town"

I may or may not have unleashed my rage on the manager blush

HappyJoyful Wed 20-Feb-13 09:43:44

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but since having a child I often look at sugar / salt contents on things and I've noticed recently that a lot of the value products - in both Sainsbury's and Tesco have less sugar content (I guess this may mean they have other chemical things added ? I could possibly be ignorant on this but have checked and don't seem to..)
2 examples off top of head I recall are
Basic's Sainsbury weetabix and also noticed the Value fromage frais in Tesco say no added things and had less sugar than the 'goodness range' or whatever it's called..
Anyway, as I say, could stand to be corrected but it certainly made me think.

smileymam Thu 21-Feb-13 19:40:20

I used to work in a cake factory, not much difference in luxury product to value, mostly the difference is the packaging.

StuffezLaBouche Thu 21-Feb-13 19:50:39

I would never, ever judge someone for having value items in their trolley. For me it's all about knowing which value items are ok and which aren't worth it. E.g. I would happily buy value bacon pieces for cooking, but wouldnt touch value coffee with a bargepole.

I'm usually to lazy busy to be in a supermarket but when I am the only time I notice anyone's basket/trolley is if they're buying 30 loaves of bread/ 30 tons of beans or similar then I like to guess if they're stocking up for a large family or buying for a community group type thing.

Honestly the only time I have ever judged anyone is when they have a trolley full of junk microwave type meals and kids snacks but have spent £££ on brand name alcohol and whole cartons of cigarettes.

StuffezLaBouche Thu 21-Feb-13 20:30:05

A couple of months ago my mum and I were hosting a big event and on the morning we decided we didnt have enough alcohol. Going up to the checkouts with a trolley filled to the brim with beers, wines and spirits on a sunday morning was the only time ive worried i might be judged!!

NanaRamma Mon 25-Feb-13 14:40:34

Ive switched from buying del monte bannanas to the tesco value range - virtually identical tasting for 30% less price!

SayMama Mon 11-Mar-13 14:02:54

If anything, I'm a bit smug about my value products grin I'm happy to pay 44p for a packet of Asda Smart Price digestives, because theirs honestly no difference between them and McVities. Same goes for SP Garlic bread, Asda own washing powder, SP bleach, SP jaffa cakes to name just a few.

KirstyJC Mon 11-Mar-13 14:06:39

I get a bit embarrassed when I see other people with fruit and veg in their trollies and not just all frozen crap like mine grin, but I couldn't care less about value brands or not.

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Mon 11-Mar-13 18:09:43

Op totally know that feeling. Doesn't bother me with some products but others yes it does.

iclaudius Mon 11-Mar-13 18:12:33

I am dead proud to buy value brands and own brand stuff and would not dream of judging others for such.
I am only ever ashamed of my shopping if there's crap in there

iclaudius Mon 11-Mar-13 18:13:06

In fact I have been known to hide crisp under veg

iclaudius Mon 11-Mar-13 18:13:51

Auto correct - not 'crisp' 'CRAP'but crisp quite apt in this case!!

Groovee Mon 11-Mar-13 18:34:03

The only thing I do look for is ring pulls because I struggle to use a tin opener. Asda value range have them on them the rest don't.

WhitesandsofLuskentyre Thu 04-Apr-13 16:53:40

I've just done a self-scan Waitrose shop and I walked round the store putting all my stuff in a huge Aldi carrier smile.

ethelb Thu 04-Apr-13 21:53:49

I know this is a bit of a zombie thread but I have never considered someone buying value items. I worked in a pharmacy for a while and was v judgemental about people who bought neurofen etc rather than generic ibruprofen.
Plus I do a big online supermarketshop of value/basics staple stuff, but v little fresh food as I have a cheap veg box and monthly freerange meat delivery. So a) you wouldnt see my trolley and b) it doesnt tell the whole story.

Asinine Sun 07-Apr-13 17:14:04

I have no embarrassent buying any value product except gin (decant into posh bottle) which I admit does feel a bit seedy, especially in our small town. But compared to buying pregnancy tests, it's a walkover.

TheSecondComing Sun 07-Apr-13 17:25:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Sun 07-Apr-13 17:27:39

Why be embarrassed? Do people honestly care?

SEWannabe Sun 07-Apr-13 21:25:37

I do most of my shop in Lidl, but get some bits and bobs from Tesco (but only their Everyday Value basics range).
I can get a bit embarrassed if i see one of the mums from school, when i have a basket full of value items, but i try not to care.
What's important is that i can feed my family.

PS- I'll have you know that Tesco Value Jaffa Cakes are lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now