Embarrassment at buying Value items at the suprmarket

(123 Posts)
Bumblequeen Fri 11-Jan-13 18:26:07

I buy in Sainsbury, Asda, Lidl and I only buy the shop's products or value items such as biscuits, sweets and other bits. I somstimes feel embarrassed at the till especially when people in queue have trolleys full of luxury products products working people should be able to afford.

We do not buy red meat as too expensive. Only eat chicken and fish.

Budgeting for food shopping is soul destroying. I love food, preparing, cooking and eating it.

BillyBollyBrandy Fri 11-Jan-13 19:08:45

Go to Aldi! Cheap and good value generally.

Don't feel bad about what you are buying!

newgirl Fri 11-Jan-13 19:11:43

I buy lots of value/own brand things and can afford to buy more pricey things - I think it's quite trendy. Eg cheapest butter, rice crisps, peas, digestives etc as I cannot see any difference. Much prefer own brand meusli to some posh brands - I feel quite clever. Iceland freerange eggs £1 - would feel stupid spending £1.60 that others charge for freerange.

insprognito Fri 11-Jan-13 19:12:33

I feel a bit like that too sometimes but feel it is off set by all the lovely fruit, veg and fresh meat I buy. I hide my value stuff by putting the decent stuff on top
Some things just don't cut it though. I can't buy value bread, coffee or beans.I buy value loo rolls cleaning products, biscuits, peanut butter,all sorts really. I too love cooking and would love to just buy what ever without having to take account of the price.

Virgil Fri 11-Jan-13 19:15:12

I buy loads of value stuff and am currently in the process of trying various new things to try to reduce our weekly shop spend even further. But I am decanting it to make it a genuine test not influenced by packaging. I confessed to DH the other day that his marmite wasn't actually marmite (after him eating it without complaint for three weeks). After the initial scowl he laughed and admitted he couldn't tell the difference. The DCs have been eating tesco value cornflakes all week (decanted into a cereal tub) and haven't said a word so that switch is staying too.

DHs best friend is very senior at one of the big supermarket chains and has told us that in many many cases the value range is exactly the same product as the store's normal range, just in different packaging.

insprognito Fri 11-Jan-13 19:18:25

Yes Aldi is good and because its smaller you get round much faster.Don't like the weird tills though I like to pack in order AT the till, oh and they don't have baskets either!?

Badvoc Fri 11-Jan-13 19:19:23

I buy a mix of both.
Tend to only buy luxury stuff when on offer.
Really like the co op own brand cleaning stuff for example. And the ocado essential range.
I don't see why buying value stuff is something to be ashamed of...

magimedi88 Fri 11-Jan-13 19:22:04

When I see someone with a trolley full of value stuff I think 'astute & clever budgeteer'!

I put on my judgey pants when I see people buying ready chopped veg, froaen roast potatoes etc etc.

Chestnutx3 Fri 11-Jan-13 19:24:53

See usually I don't equate buying value stuff with poverty but intelligence knowing that often its the same stuff but half the price than the product with the pretty box. I can afford the branded stuff but prefer not to buy it unless it is different.

colleysmill Fri 11-Jan-13 19:28:23

I used to wonder at people buying ready grated cheese - but my granny couldnt physically grate it herself so perhaps the chopped veg is the same?

I think everyone is trying these days to make their money go further - value brands are one way of doing this. There is no shame at all in making your weekly budget go further.

orangetickle Fri 11-Jan-13 19:28:48

littletingoddess - a lot of the time it is the same stuff in different packaging. When I was a student I temped in a factory for bread stuff (hot cross buns, crumpets etc). The packets came off the distribution line and were then labelled (and presumably priced) differently depending on where they were going: M&S, Tesco etc.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AdoraBell Fri 11-Jan-13 19:35:58

If I saw a trolley heaving with luxury goods and top name brands I'd be quietly guesstimating the value of said trolley and working out how much value stuff I could get for the price. A trolley full of value goods would make me think "there's someone who knows how to shop"

If I wasn't daydreaming, that is. Seriously, don't compare your shopping with someone else's.

TotallyBS Fri 11-Jan-13 19:36:05

I don't think (most) people care whether you have value brands or the expensive stuff.

What attracts MY attention is trolleys full of booze or pet food smile

Thewhingingdefective Fri 11-Jan-13 19:38:33

Not embarrassed at all. I also pile my basket or trolley high with the 'quick sale - still fresh stuff' and other reduced stuff.

I do like noseying at others' shopping on the checkout conveyor belt though, particularly if it's a weird old combo of stuff.

Bumblequeen Fri 11-Jan-13 19:41:37

I am probably being a snob silly!

I think it is not having the choice to spend more that gets to me. Some choose to 'buy cheap' which is entirely different.

I buy frozen fish which is far cheaper. I bought frozen mince recently and it was awful.

jan2013 Sat 12-Jan-13 12:02:23

if i saw people with value stuff i would just think 'we are all in the same boat, everyone is being hit with the times we are in now' - i would never think twice about it. i don't really get too embarrassed about my shopping trolley and its full of value stuff.

ChunkyChicken Sat 12-Jan-13 12:13:01

The only time I notice anyone's purchases is when they are behind me at the till. And the only time I judge think anything of it is when its a slightly dodgy looking older bloke buying 3 bottles of whiskey, 4 cans of fosters and a pizza.

Mostly I spend the time herding my 2yo DD, shushing my crying 8wo DS, checking I've got everything, and trying to sort out the bags & arrange everything on the conveyor so its easy to pack.

Do what you need to. Forget everyone else!!

SlatternismyMiddlename Sat 12-Jan-13 12:18:50

To be honest I am usually so focused on getting my own shopping done and dealing with the DCs that I don't look or care what is in other people's trolleys. I would occasionally notice the teenage/young twenty types going through the 10 items or less till with multi pack crisps, beer and Wkd - then I am just wistful!

GrassIsntGreener Sun 13-Jan-13 06:06:34

Colleysmill

I was surprised to see grated cheese come up cheaper per kg compared to the same brand lump of cheese, so often buy it now. Lasts longer at home because it goes further too.

BoerWarKids Sun 13-Jan-13 06:22:35

I'm not embarrassed and neither should you be! If someone is scathing about seeing value stuff in your trolley, it says far more about them than you.

All the rich people I know will happily admit to shopping in Aldi and Lidl.

ravenAK Sun 13-Jan-13 06:40:21

I always try the value brand of anything I want to buy at least once - if it's crap (baked beans, coke) I'll know for next time, & if it's fine that's a saving I can spend on wine/chocolate.

Also a big fan of Aldi/Lidl/Approved Food.

Nothing particularly big or clever about paying twice the price you actually need to spend on tinned tomatoes or plain tortilla chips!

PurplePidjin Sun 13-Jan-13 07:02:50

I'd be more embarrassed to have a trolley full of preprepared beige shite, tbh. Fresh fruit and veg is fresh fruit and veg, no matter the label and it's half the price in the farm shop

Mum2Fergus Sun 13-Jan-13 09:22:50

I wouldnt give a thought to buying value, or seeing anyone else buy it either. Shopping is the one thing I insist on doing on my own lol so can do at quite a leisurely pace smile Uve always paid attention to other folks shopping, though that comes from having worked a checkout for a few tears...you can tell a lot from folks shopping lol

Taffeta Sun 13-Jan-13 09:27:21

I agree its nothing to be embarassed about, and appreciate its easy to say this. You feel how you feel. FWIW when I see people with Value stuff in their baskets I think they are canny shoppers.

If it makes you cringe, I'd suggest using the self checkout tills as people can't stare at your shopping so much there. Or online if you're buying in bulk and can keep delivery costs down/free.

CheungFun Sun 13-Jan-13 09:34:59

I have always bought some value items and some branded items (DH won't budge on his Heinz tomato ketchup, and I won't budge on Heinz baked beans!). Generally I buy value cereals such as weetabix, cheerios, cornflakes and porridge, tinned tomatoes, tinned kidney beans, pasta and value biscuits are good too!

I usually buy free range eggs because they taste better and I don't feel guilty about the chickens then, I would love to buy free range meat, but I just can't afford it, so i try to buy the next one up from value.

I wouldn't judge someone for having a trolley full of value items, I think anyway that most people just want to do their shop and get home ASAP so they aren't looking at what other people are buying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now