Judicious January - Long may the credit crunching continue

(731 Posts)
roguepixie Tue 01-Jan-13 12:03:15

So, the credit crunching team are into Year 2013. Happy New Year everyone.

Let's continue our cost-cutting, , money saving,penny and pound pinching, NSD ways.

jenduck Fri 25-Jan-13 18:25:45

Welcome back riverboat smile

shock at price of school dinners & other school expenses. DS1 is only in pre-school each morning atm, so expenses are things like 50p class money each week for snacks, mufti days & school bazaars. Even uniform is not compulsory, but he has it as most other kids in his class do. Costs still add up, though.

Your knitting sounds great rogue just right for this weather.

Boffin well done on your book doing so well.

Storm pj day sounds great!

Not too spendy today. Had our free fish & chips in BHS as DH was home (gone out for the evening though), so about £5.30 for lunch for 4 of us including hot drinks (DS2 just had a bit of everybody's!). Then Tesco for a little fleece for friend's new son, which was reduced to £3 from £9 & some milk, drain unblocker & tinned toms. And that was it spending wise.

Oh, also had estate agent round to get our house back on the market. This one works on a monthly fee rather than on a commission basis. So, initial payment of £405 inc VAT, for which they advertise our house on websites, with clients etc. Then £39 per month thereafter. So, will be considerably cheaper than the £2k plus we'd be looking at on a commission basis, although obviously there is the risk it won't sell. We've only taken their basic package, so have to arrange & do viewings & the selling side of it ourselves, but we are happy with that as essentially that ended up happening last time anyway! So keep your fingers crossed for us smile

CremeEggThief Brazil Fri 25-Jan-13 19:00:44

£15.35 total for today, on travel and an after-school/ pre-swimming snack.

I'll read through properly later, but very quickly want to welcome back riverboat and wish adora's DD a speedy recovery from her food poisoning.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 25-Jan-13 19:14:00

£10ish asda. Thermal socks for me, Pantene leave in overnight spray (my hairs much better than before the Pantene) and milk for dh.

Edging closer to cancelling tv licence.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Fri 25-Jan-13 19:39:00

I spent £1 today on milk on the way home from work. Couldn't wait until tomorrow's food shop as we've got no milk for breakfast. That's all I've spent though, so not bad.

Leilandri Fri 25-Jan-13 20:26:50

Spent £13 in £land on pots, seeds and bits to start this years veggy growing, also got sachets of baby paracetamol as DS2 is teething again.

Spent £31 in Morrisons, but mostly on 6x 4pts of milk, and 10 loaves of bread, fruit, potatoes, and doughnuts (Friday treat for DS's) so nothing frivolous.

Off to Aldi tomorrow to do top-up shop to supplement our freezer and cupboards - mostly nappies hmm Also need to get potting compost, chicken feed and sawdust.

stormforce10 Fri 25-Jan-13 21:34:49

NSD smile

In fact even better than that, I've just claimed a £15 Amazon vouchers for surveys I've done on Toluna. I'm going to aim to do enough surveys to get one a month and hopefully that will pay for this years Christmas presents. I am also about to be sent some samples of something though not entirely sure what - I think its fruit juice judging from survey but knowing market researchers it could be anything smile

Also up to just over £20 on One Poll so some way from pay out at £40 but it will happen eventually. Its a case of slow and steady wins the game

And need 25p more to get a £10 M&S voucher from Valued Opinion. I've had 50p pending payment for about 2 weeks Close to giving up on Valued Opinions. They seem to screen me out of surveys after answering loads of questions. They used to be good but now its neigh on impossible to earn anything with them.

BoffinMum Sat 26-Jan-13 09:20:25

Fluffy have you thought of getting a black and white TV to save money on the licence?

BoffinMum Sat 26-Jan-13 09:21:53

StormForce which survey site pays the best in your opinion?

I gave up on a couple because of the screening out thing.

roguepixie Sat 26-Jan-13 09:31:41

Well done stormforce - all money is is good smile.

jenduck, the increases in school expenditure from Junior to Secondary is astounding! DS didn't have school dinners at Junior school until the last 2 terms (he wanted to try it) so that was about £6 a week and then there were the odd after school clubs (£25 for French club for a term) etc. Secondary school is amazing: no packed lunch so ALL pupils pay for school dinners (£180-90 per term), £180 on extra piano lessons (per term), £??? on yearly contribution to school fund (is paying for a major refurbishment due to start in July this year - oh joy). His uniform cost £600-700 to start (Y7) from school shop (that didn't include shoes, socks and vests, that I got elsewhere) - and we have odd outlays for replacing lost or worn out items items! Honestly, I love that he goes to this school, it is amazing and he absolutely loves it there (and that is worth all the money in the world) but sometimes, when those invoices come rolling in I just sit here and think ... it never cost so much when I was in school shock.

Welcome back riverboat and also, Adora - I hope your DD is better soon ... food poisoning is so horrible.

Anticipate a NSD here today. Tomorrow, not so anticipated ... DS (and DMIL) want to go to see Les Mis, and DMIL won't go to the cheapy place down the road, oh no, only a comfy, nicely decorated bloody-expensive cinema for her!!!!!!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 26-Jan-13 10:25:01

boffin we don't really watch live tv, dh prefers iplayer. We mainly watch bbc 4, which makes me sound poncey, but they do really interesting programming but its only on after 7pm.

I must register with Toluna and VO, I always mean to then forget.

BoffinMum Sat 26-Jan-13 10:57:24

I may be wrong but I believe you need a TV licence to watch iPlayer.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 26-Jan-13 11:00:59

Only if its a live broadcast.

If its recorded program's then it's legal to not have a licence, if you watch something live on iplayer a message flashes up to say you need a licence to watch this.

BoffinMum Sat 26-Jan-13 11:03:46

I did not know that. I thought it was only downloaded programmes that were viewable without a licence. Obv a very grey area.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 26-Jan-13 11:22:40

From what they've put on their website I think more people could do away with a licence.

Thing is, we don't always watch shows live anyway, I don't always want to watch Have I got news for you on a Friday because I'm tired but I do want to watch it Saturday night.

AdoraBell Chile Sat 26-Jan-13 16:48:26

2 NSDs here. DD1 is much better and we're have another day at home so should make a third NSD

HearMyRoar Sat 26-Jan-13 18:26:17

We don't have a TV. Haven't had one for years and don't have a licence. Fluffy is correct that it is only if watching TV as it is broadcast that you need a licence to watch it. We watch stuff on iPlayer occasionally but to be honest we tend to just watch films and box sets on the laptop or we have a projector for special occasions. We do have a lovefilm subscription which is considered an essential spend in this house grin

CremeEggThief Brazil Sat 26-Jan-13 18:34:15

89p on milk and £44.25 on online Sainsburys order, which won't come out for a few days.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

stormforce10 Sat 26-Jan-13 19:00:56

boffinmum six months ago I'd have said Valued Opinions was the best but now I'm less sure. I like Toluna and One Poll. With Toluna if you get about 3000 points a day (1-3 surveys depending on points) you can probably manage to claim £15 voucher a month. Points don't always go on right away but they're usually pretty good about adding them.

One poll has very short surveys typically pay 10-20p each. There are some outside that range. Typically I get 50-60p a day again sometimes more sometimes less. Friday afternoons tend to be best and they don't have surveys at the weekend. YOu have to check the site as they don't email you. They pay out when you get to £40 so it takes quite a while but worth the wait as its cash into your bank account.

I've just registered with swagbucks - bit confused by it but seem to be lots of ways to earn points. Decided to just keep going with it and cash in my points close to Christmas as its possible to claim quite high amounts by paypal depending on your points total.

NSD here today though nearly had to spend money on wrapping paper and wrapping paper for party dd went to today but found some in cupboard just in time

economymode Sat 26-Jan-13 19:00:57

Rather spendy here today. I blame the internet.

£30 sponsoring my brother for running a marathon and £57 on a wooden toy kitchen for EconomyBoy as a present from his new sibling (when they arrive).

Tomorrow I need to do the Aldi shop.

Regarding survey sites, I quite like Valued Opinions, although I do agree that you get screened out a lot. My beef with Toluna is the sheer quantity of surveys they send you - I just end up deleting them as it's overwhelming. I also like Panel Base and Opinion Bar, but they do take a while to rack up the cash (and they give you cash, rather than vouchers).

Leilandri Sat 26-Jan-13 20:03:24

Spent ALOT today, but should be mostly done for the month now.

£95 in Aldi (£45 of that on household and nappies)
£18 in Morrisons on freezer veg, bread flour and some smellies.
£7.50 on chicken feed, grain and grit.
£5.65 on sawdust, compost and some veg seeds.

I now have £18.90 left from my (self-imposed) £100 food budget for the month. Should only need to get bread, milk and fruit with that tho, and hopefully not for over a week.

Welcome back river
Economy We got DS's a play kitchen for Xmas, they absolutely love it! Hope EconomyBoy has lots of fun smile

I do Toluna when I can be bothered and Ipsos. DMiL got me started when living with her. She does lots, about 7/8 sites, and earns about £400 a year in amazon vouchers which does all her Xmas and Bday pressies. I have slacked majorly since having DS2 and this year I plan to get back into doing them again.

stormforce10 Sat 26-Jan-13 21:49:04

Finally valued opinions have credited my last 50p so i've got a £10 amazon voucher. Thats £25 of amazon vouchers ready for christmas 2013 smile

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sat 26-Jan-13 23:30:09

I spent £46 on a combination of Aldi (main shop) and Asda (bits not available at Aldi). That should do us now food-wise until next weekend, apart from a loaf of bread which I'll pick up on Tuesday. Need to go to Boots tomorrow as im out of loads of essentials, so it'll be an expensive shop I think.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sat 26-Jan-13 23:32:53

Forgot to say, I transferred £80 from Top Cashback into my bank account today, so that should be in there by the middle of next week. It's from my car insurance last November. I love cashback websites, I do smile.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 27-Jan-13 08:37:50

NSD yesterday.

Aldi shop today.

If you go on my supermarket softkitty it will compare your shopping list with boots, superdrug and the supermarkets. I find boots really pricey. I buy the odd premium item off eBay.

jenduck Sun 27-Jan-13 09:41:24

Spent quite a bit again yesterday. About £7 in Sainsbury's Cafe, meeting up with my sisters (plus assorted husbands & kids) & my nan. Then about 35 in Sainsbury's itself - not much on food, but saw a pair of swimming goggles half price for DS1 & some Brita water filters for our Tassimo, also half-price. Then had to get some guttering at Homebase for above our garage as some pesky neighbourhood kids have hit ours with their football angry, so that was £12.

Having my DParents & Dnan over to lunch today, as we had a massive leg of lamb in the freezer that needs cooking & it is nice to share smile, especially as Dgrandad is still in hospital so Dnan is home alone. Will take Dnan to see Dgrandad afterwards, so that will be £3 on parking. Plus will get a newspaper today (free pint of IPA in The Sun), other than that should be NSD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now