Who fancies a No Spend Day thread (like MSE forum's) ?

(462 Posts)
OhDearNigel Mon 31-Dec-12 13:27:59

I prefer MN to MSE but would like to do some NSDs in January. Anyone else interested in doing a support thread ? this is the idea

I have a shocking spending habit and i really, really need to curb it. So I am going to have a goal of 10 NSDs in January and aim to manage 3 in a row. That would be a massive achievement for me.

OhDearNigel Tue 01-Jan-13 21:15:40

bugger, it didn't do the link properly - it's a deal on "Sidekick" - cream liqueur in a variety of flavours

PersuedByPenguins Tue 01-Jan-13 21:17:21

Thanks OhDearNigel! I have Asda, Morrison, Tesco and Sainsburys close by so plenty choice!

PersuedByPenguins Tue 01-Jan-13 21:17:40

Oh and its for a girl

MushroomSoup Tue 01-Jan-13 21:20:22

I just came on to say I'd managed today but I'm GUTTED to say that I fell for the 'mums net made me buy...' Thread - and ordered a haramaki from amazon!!!!!

NSD here for me smile I'll join in too and aim for 10 grin

nikcname Tue 01-Jan-13 21:34:18

Good idea! I gave up smoking yesterday so trying to stay away from shops, I'm used to popping to to grab cigarettes and just grabbing a 'few bits' along the way!
I had to do a food shop today, petrol tomorrow sad so 0/10 but will be on the wagon by Thurs!

Bullets Tue 01-Jan-13 21:36:56

Me too me too! I'll aim for 10 too

End of day one and..........I haven't spent anything so 1/10 it makes you more aware of necessary spends I think.

yggdrasil Wed 02-Jan-13 00:50:57

hmm want to do this but need to have a think. Basically we try to use the local shops and not use the car but this means we tend do a small food shop each day. If someone is passing the shop they always buy milk and a few bits. Its quite a rubbish shop (a very small Tescos) so there isn't much temptation there.

Would it work if I made dp or ds do the shopping? ;-)

Living Wed 02-Jan-13 05:25:55

I'll join too - been meaning to do this to curb my costa habit at work. I'm at 1/10 (for yesterday). Today won't be a NSD (weekly shop tonight).

hurricanewyn Wed 02-Jan-13 07:42:21

yggdrasil - what about putting aside the money for essentials one day a week? Say stick £20 into a jar for bread/milk etc & then that money was spent on the day it went into the jar, iyswim. I don't know about you, but it'd certainly help to make me more mindful of my daily spending if I had a small amount to streeetch like that.

Or if it's a tesco, you could buy a giftcard that you top up once a week/month.

I intend to do my busfares like this, otherwise I'll never get to work.

insancerre Wed 02-Jan-13 09:05:16

I managed my first NSD yesterday as I didn't leave the house all day

OhDearNigel Wed 02-Jan-13 09:06:58

yddrasil - I see no reason that that you couldn't do it as "No Non-essential Spend Day". So you could buy your food for the day but nothing else

OhDearNigel Wed 02-Jan-13 09:07:52

Trying another day today. Made a packed lunch for work for the first time in ages smile

VestaCurry Wed 02-Jan-13 09:11:34

1/10 from yesterday smile. Will be spending today though as I've ordered a carpet cleaner in the sales.

Mantra for 2013 : do we really need this?

Yes for the carpet cleaner.

silverfrog Wed 02-Jan-13 09:12:05

I am about to fail again <sigh>

To be fair, it will be an essential spend, as have toothache so need to see the dentist. But goes to show how tricky it can be.

Must do a stockcheck and see if we needs any bread/milk etc - if I'm going to have to spend today then I should try to clear the decks for tomorrow...

onthemetro Wed 02-Jan-13 09:12:21

Can I join? grin I planned on today being a NSD - am walking to work instead of catching the train (it's really not that far and will save me £3, it being cold outside is not an excuse!) and have a packed lunch, enough basics in the cupboards to last until I get paid in 2 weeks... All good so far, except my SIL's SD has downloaded some goddamn app on her phone on MY account, after I logged her in so she could download something I'd had...I feel so stupid, I knew it was a bad idea! Got the receipt today, so that's 1.49 down the drain when I have about £5 in my bank account sad

Anyway, will try again tomorrow. Pretty much have to anyway what with the dire state of my account! Gonna aim for at least 10 days

Living Wed 02-Jan-13 09:30:48

Hmm I think I'm going to have to have the weekly-food shop not count as a spend day (unless I spend on top). Have been spending most of today resisting buying as 'going shopping anything this evening so it can't be an NSD anyway'. smile

These dont work for me. Let me explain:

Day 1, SD. I buy everything I want.
Day 2, NSD. I find lots I want to buy, write a list, then buy it all tomorrow.
Day 3, SD. Buy everything I needed yesterday, plus more as Im in the shop anyway.

Continue.

grin

MirandaWest Wed 02-Jan-13 09:52:22

I like the idea of doing this. Don't think I'll include DDs as they go out and not much I can do to change them (ie yesterday's went out today so I still want to not spend today and if I view today as a day I've spent then I might as well go and spend more money iyswim).

PolkadotCircus Wed 02-Jan-13 09:52:41

Yesterday. I re gifted so did well.Today we are fruit and vegless. Resisting the urge to pick up a few things,trying to eek out the washing powder etc.Trying to stretch the last of the Xmas shop until Monday but the dc may well end up with scurvy!!!!

nkf Wed 02-Jan-13 09:57:36

10?! That is high. But I will try. I was going to go food shopping today but I won't because actually there is food in the house.

Thanks for the motivation.

TheSecondComing Wed 02-Jan-13 10:00:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Living Wed 02-Jan-13 10:04:08

Yeah monkey face - I can already see my subconcious working that one out! Hmm maybe just have a 'don't buy any tea at costa' January.

EleanorGiftbasket Wed 02-Jan-13 10:04:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now