The awful feeling knowing there is not enough money in bank to pay direct debits due on the 1st

(80 Posts)
chocolatespiders Sun 30-Dec-12 12:40:08

I am a single parent (have been for 15 years) and this is the first time I feel I wont have enough money for food in January.

I work 30 hours a week in the community- I have to put petrol in my car to do my job but how can i buy petrol when I cant feed my 2 children sad

I made sure I put enough money in electric meter from December wages.

I have cancelled rent direct debit -£450 but I will go into the office and pay £350 as I don't want to get to far behind. This will allow other direct debits to go out which include water and TV license.

I have not had any child support for the last 6 months which I realise I was stupid to relay on but it helps towards everyday living. CSA don't seem to bothered when I phone them and just tend to give me false hope which comes to nothing.

What can i feed my children age 15 and 9 so they are full up and not looking for extras.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Tue 01-Jan-13 23:05:08

Running please could you PM me the meal plan too? Thanks smile.

runningforthebusinheels Wed 02-Jan-13 00:58:58

Done smile

Booyhoo Wed 02-Jan-13 04:55:28

oh OP i've been there. it's fucking shit. i was lucky in that my exp was paying CS and i went cap in hand and asked him for an advance on the next months payment.

you've probably thought of everything already but just incase you haven't i have a few suggestions.

can you sell anything? even clothes for 99p on ebay or bundles of children's clothing on gumtree/free ads.

can you offer any services? dog walking, babysitting, cleaning, ironing, errands for neighbours, sewing/mending clothes. have a look on gumtree and see what services people are looking done.

can your eldest get an afterschool/saturday job?

is it possible to eat with family/friends for even one meal of the week?

could the dcs go to their dad's for 1/2 meals?

chocolatespiders Wed 02-Jan-13 09:28:30

Thanks for the ebay idea.. I have sorted out a few of dd's old tops I do feel a bit bad selling them on as I was given them, they are Gap, Zara and Monsoon so I will put them on and hope for at least a pound.

I will also have a look to see if I am entitled to any Housing benefit.

Dinner was at my dads yesterday and we left with some leftovers smile and dinner is always at my mums on a Friday as she picks my girls up for me because I work later on a Friday and so she feeds us all.

BoffinMum Tue 08-Jan-13 12:14:11

OP, how is it going? Are you feeling OK?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now