Totally broke :(

(57 Posts)
3plus2 Tue 11-Dec-12 11:18:49

I'm literally £5 overdrawn and that's all I have to my name! I pay out £400 a month to run and pay for car, £300 rent that's all my maternity pay gone then I'm literally living off child benefit sad how do ppl do it ???

Anifrangapani Mon 17-Dec-12 21:16:33

Claimant

BaldricksTurnip Mon 17-Dec-12 23:45:20

Really? From what I've read, private sector tenants are already assessed on the size of their household irrespective of property size, and paid accordingly. The idea behind the 'bedroom tax' is to mobilise social housing tenants who are occupying properties bigger than they technically need.

BitofSparklingPerry Mon 17-Dec-12 23:54:05

Bedroom tax is only in social housing. I thought it was private too, but then looked deeper into it. Private tenants already just get what thy are assessed as needing fr thir family. Social tenants do too, but the local housing rate overs much more in social housing, iyswim.

3plus2 Tue 18-Dec-12 08:11:06

I'm a bit nervous if taking in a lodger tbh , we only have a tintsy room left , I spose it makes sense to but I'm not too sure , would have to be a lady as I've got 3 kids , mind you a make influence may time down some pink grin

cozietoesie Tue 18-Dec-12 08:31:52

You could try taking in a lodger for a fixed period (say 3 months) if there's that sort of demand where you live. See how it suits without being bound to a long term commitment.

Just be sure that you set the rent realistically given the services you'll be providing. From your previous posts, it sounds as if you'll end up giving them free bed and board!

wink

JakeBullet Tue 18-Dec-12 08:37:50

Sorry you are having a crap time, I am as well.....car needed a new battery and a new radiator this month at a cost of £120. Nightmare of a time, have only managed it by sheer good fortune of having things I could sell to make it up. If anything else went wrong with it now though I'd be stuck.

Hope next year is better for you.

TooMuchJD Mon 31-Dec-12 23:45:57

We have cut back as much as we can too but going have to find more savings somewhere. We only use the car for necessary journeys, have a fixed weekly budget for shopping, buy Asda own brand (as nice as the expensive stuff mostly), even trying their smartprice stuff now as its cheaper still but the quality is hit & miss. We use Home Bargains for biscuits/treats as they are much cheaper, got most of the Christmas presents there too.
I had 2DC in 2 yrs so was on maternity pay for sometime and ended up using credit to pay for necessities then its been a slippery slope from there.
I would certainly check out if you are entitled to housing/council tax benefit or speak to your local CAB if you can.
I would go back fulltime but wages here (Stoke) are crap and after childcare costs/reduction in tax credits we would be no better off than we are now but I would be away from the kids longer and get no bloody housework/washing etc.. done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now