Frozen veg - what can I do with it?

(15 Posts)
RarelyUnreasonable Wed 07-Nov-12 13:53:00

We are trying to empty our freezer this week by eating only from it. The plan is then to batch cook and refill it :D The nice things have gone, and there are just bags and bags of frozen veg left.

My plan is to cook them with a jar of Sharwoods to make veg curry and serve with rice, but I think it'll be vile. Will it be ok? How can I make it naice?

And what else can I do with them?

MrsHoarder Wed 07-Nov-12 13:57:44

What veg is in there?

I just made a big batch of pea soup from frozen peas, onion and mint.

Labootin Wed 07-Nov-12 14:02:21

Boil it
Then eat it

RarelyUnreasonable Wed 07-Nov-12 14:04:54

Will do the pea soup.

Boiling it and eating it is fine, but what with? There is some rice and a couple of fish fingers, but any more exciting ideas welcome smile

paneer Wed 07-Nov-12 14:08:29

Egg fried rice with peas and sweetcorn

ZigZagWanderer Thu 08-Nov-12 14:10:39

Fry onion and garlic, add veg, add stock, simmer until veg is cooked, add herbs, blend, serve with bread.

Clara35 Sat 10-Nov-12 09:23:52

Vegetable paella. It's good if you have a bag of mixed veg like peas carrots sweet corn green beans.

AdoraJingleBells Mon 12-Nov-12 02:02:08

I've done a kinda byriani (sp) in the microwave. Rice, mixed veg - whatever you have - curry paste and water. Stir, cover and zap. Recipe was from BBC but I don't have it to link, sorry. You could use some with pasta in a cream or tomatoe based sauce, stir fries, veg soup, mix with cous cous.

Oh, and the Sharwoods sauce curry idea, only vile if you find the sauce you use vilewink

Mum2Fergus Mon 12-Nov-12 19:43:00

Stir fry?

RaspberryLemonPavlova Thu 15-Nov-12 09:40:40

Vegetable soup?

Veg pasta bake?

My Mum used to make a pie with veg in a cheese sauce.

What veg do you have?

1stMrsF Thu 15-Nov-12 13:02:05

Cheese sauce and pasta with veg. Think cauliflower macaroni cheese or just a mixture will do the trick. I often add frozen spinach to cheese sauce to make green sauce for spaghetti that is very popular with the DCs. Also a mixture of frozen veg makes an excellent thai curry if you have some spices/chillis and coconut milk/cream. Minestrone?

sandripples Sun 18-Nov-12 20:02:11

Dhal with some frozen spinach added is good.

I have also worked on emptying the freezer this week. Had a bag of peppers and just fried them up in a little olive oil, added a squirt of lemon - great with anything eg omelette, veggieburgers.

Tommy Sun 18-Nov-12 20:03:53

cook them in stock, add a tin of beans (such as borlotti - not baked beans in sauce) and some pasta - instant minestrone, takes about 10 mins

Allofaflumble Sun 18-Nov-12 20:05:45

I make a batch of soup once a week from mixed frozen veg (cauli, broccoli, carrots) or just carrots with coriander (maybe add a couple of spuds) and then take to work each day. I take a tbs of cream to add as it makes it really special then. I don't add any fat in the cooking though. bit of garlic and onion makes it very tasty.

Funnylittleturkishdelight Sun 18-Nov-12 20:07:02

With couscous and peri peri spice is a quick and delicious light dinner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now