Tax credits to be gone from April 2014 - is this fact?

(6 Posts)
MisForMumNotMaid Thu 18-Oct-12 18:27:26

I know that universal credit is coming in and being phased in between 2013 and 2017 but I read today here that tax credits will be replaced April 2014. This is the first time I'd seen it as a definitive date.

Did everyone else realise and can anyone confirm it from any government source?

I think the tax credits as a seperate entity will be phased out by then.

The UC will have a WTC or CTC (working tax /Child tax credit ) component along with anything else you claim.

Fairylea Thu 18-Oct-12 18:31:45

Universal credit is replacing tax credits but will be effectively the same thing.

lubeybooby England Thu 18-Oct-12 18:32:27

anyone already receiving WTC will be slowly phased on to UC in stages from 2015, I think.

New claims for JSA, IS, ESA etc become UC from october next year and new WTC claims from 2014 are UC. I think... based on having read an article a week or so ago.

Yes look at this bit.....

"From April 2014, people of working age who are in work will claim universal credit instead of tax credits.

From April 2014 to October 2017, people already claiming certain other benefits will gradually be transferred to universal credit"

So you will claim UC whatever benefits/credit you are after & if you meet the elegibility requirements you will get that bit of the UC.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 18-Oct-12 19:24:19

The difference between tax credits and the universal credit equivalent appears to be if you have ISA's these are not taken into account for tax credits but if you have more than £16k total savings (capital assets excluding your primary residence) you wont be entitled to universal credit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now