how much is your dual fuel bill?

(155 Posts)
Hattie11 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:39:12

We pay 76 a mth at the moment although I'm frightened once heating kicks in they'll put it up as always happened with previous company.

We are in 3 bed semi with gas central heating. I'm at home most days with 2 youngest. Currently don't have loft insulation, but just installing it hoping it will make a big difference.

So....does our bill seem high or low compared to yours?

MinimalistMommi Mon 21-Oct-13 12:53:46

Thank you for that tip TheGirl
I did to think how often our combi boiler fires up during the day...lots and lots I think...so it worth 'saving' the washing up rather than washing a single item in hot water then...

TheGirlFromIpanema Mon 21-Oct-13 12:57:52

yep... it definitely is! The guy who came to service the boiler last year gave me the tip, and he was right. I used to switch the tap on twenty several times a day but turn it off before it had heated anyway.

As they say, every little helps grin

OurMrsReynolds Mon 21-Oct-13 15:27:10

£100 dual fuel a month, but I'm convinced its too low hmm 3 bed terraced (only 2 bedrooms in use)

Ra88 Thu 24-Oct-13 17:56:34

£240 confused hmm 3 bed semi , in need of new windows ! DG but drafty as hell!

cupcakeicing Thu 24-Oct-13 18:02:48

£200 per month. Draughty farm cottage.

Thesimplethings Thu 24-Oct-13 18:06:16

230 a month 3 bed semi, heating system only 3 years old and brand new windows and doors put in a couple months ago hmm hopefully we will see a saving over this winter.

youbethemummylion Thu 24-Oct-13 18:07:55

I work for an energy company and that seems low I would pay more per month if you can so you dont end up owing a large sum on next statement. Also if your not on fixed price tariff i would certainly look into it some are already lower than standard even before price increases.

SwedishEdith Thu 24-Oct-13 18:12:22

God, I need to switch after reading some of these. I do think teenagers might be the problem though...

BellaVita Thu 24-Oct-13 18:15:06

Last years total bill was £1650.

We pay each month for what we use.

4 bed detached house, two teens (who always leave lights on). We have the heating on a lot in winter, we do not scrimp.

youbethemummylion Thu 24-Oct-13 18:15:36

Also are your meter reads up to date?

Littleredsquirrel Wed 30-Oct-13 16:21:07

over 150 a month here just for electric and we don't heat the house with electric either

graceholl Wed 30-Oct-13 17:38:05

2 bed flat = £60

Likely to start creeping up now.

Turnoffthelights Fri 08-Nov-13 17:43:32

Flipping hell! (Could swear a lot more)... Read through this thread earlier in the month happily thinking 'my duel fuel is only £42pm, must be all that light switching off I do constantly'. Well I am no longer smug. Just paid a £700 debt to EDF and DD has gone up to £100pm. Really worrying about how we're going to manage as our monthly budget is already so tight. The £700 has come out of my overdraft which I never usually use, it's just for emergencies. I've started working a few more hours from this week so hopefully that will chip away at the overdraft. I'm a bit cross really as I could see from our previous bill in April that we had a £600 debt (pregnancy and newborn meant I hadn't been as stingy!) and my DD review said that payments had to change yet they stayed at £42. Clearly a mistake on EDFs part but I should have queried it then. Would still have meant a monthly increase but not such a blow just before Christmas! I've decided to start logging my daily gas and electricity usage, challenge the family to use less each week!

sobiashaheen Tue 11-Feb-14 01:53:46

2 bedroom mid terrace> £90 pm dual fuel, ive tried cutting my usage on gas but the gas price seem to rise more faster like cat and mouse game.

MadMonkeys Tue 11-Feb-14 11:15:07

We pay £86 a month (4 bed detached house). I'm not sure why it is so low compared to others who have posted, but we enter meter readings frequently, so it is accurate. We had cavity wall insulation a couple of years ago which made a big difference (although we do have a loot more condensation now) and we are pretty hot on turning things off when we're not using them. I read the other day that reducing your heating by 1 degree can save 10% off your heating bill. That's more than I would have expected.

We were paying £30 more a month until I realised the power company were overcharging us and hoarding the rest, so I complained and they reduced the payments. We were £400 in credit! If they do that with all their customers just think how much money they are sitting on...

LauraBridges Tue 11-Feb-14 16:08:11

Varies between £4000 and £5000 a year (big house, two boilers, heating on all day, large family).

averaging at approx 75 each per month sad

Supermum222 Wed 19-Feb-14 22:16:48

£131 a month for a 4 bed detached (20 yr old house).

Capitola Wed 19-Feb-14 22:26:03

We pay £70 per month for oil and £75 for electricity (no gas).

Pretty reasonable as we have an old, drafty house with single glazed windows and poor insulation and we run the tumble dryer at least twice per day all year round.

kscience Sun 23-Feb-14 23:39:13

Reading this thread has confirmed to me that something is SERIOUSLY wrong with my electricity charges.

Studio flat. Rented and have to have a key meter. £50 - £55 a month (electricity only, no gas to property). Bearing in mind I work full time and leave the house at 6am and don't leave work until 7pm. I put the heater on for an hour when I get in. Water heater is switched off. No dishwasher/washing machine. Everything except for fridge turned off at the socket unless being used.

I phoned and queried my tariff/bill and was passed onto an "energy usage adviser" who obviously did not believe me.

lilmishap Fri 09-May-14 23:10:53

QUESTION LADIES I have a two bed house Im on d/f and did uswitch who adviced that scottish power were the cheapest. £170 m. I came from a studio flat so its been a big old shock. QUESTION would i be better off with a ppm? Im on benefits with a nine month old at home, would they be willing to let me pay it in two direct debits a month?

specialsubject Sat 10-May-14 11:28:01

that bill is ridiculous for a two bed. Start monitoring what you actually use and look at ways of cutting it down.

the DD will be set by the use of the previous people. The 'switches' are to look at the best unit rate.

Willthisworknow Sat 17-May-14 14:34:29

£181. Though that is on a fixed price rate as we were paying uber amounts before £240. 5 bed house with 3 small children so lots of washing! Were with edf.

Dreamgirls234 Sat 17-May-14 20:02:30

I pay £80 for gas and £80 for electric for a 2 bed Victorian terrace there is me and my dd and I have a cleaner/nanny in through the day with my dog. I have cavity wall insulation and loft insulation.

BackforGood Sat 17-May-14 20:17:23

VERY OLD THREAD alert

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now