how much is your dual fuel bill?

(155 Posts)
Hattie11 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:39:12

We pay 76 a mth at the moment although I'm frightened once heating kicks in they'll put it up as always happened with previous company.

We are in 3 bed semi with gas central heating. I'm at home most days with 2 youngest. Currently don't have loft insulation, but just installing it hoping it will make a big difference.

So....does our bill seem high or low compared to yours?

roughtyping Sun 28-Oct-12 19:57:03

Semi detached 1930s 2 bed house. We were paying £79 PCM, just changed and it will be £56 PCM based on what we used last year. Quite pleased with that. We usually have heating off during the day, quite good at putting on extra jumper etc. I really feel the cold so often have several layers on.

In Scotland, so our water rates are included in council tax.

zebrafinch Sun 28-Oct-12 23:18:40

£1700 a year with British gas -BEFORE the recent price rise so now must be heading towards £2000!! This for a 4 bedroom detached, modern house, all double glazed, new combi boiler last year and loft insulation. Have to keep the house warm as my son has complex medical needs. Do not heat all the rooms and switch off heating when he is at school. I have signed up to a local organisation which is trying to negotiate a good rate with energy companies based on large number of members who may switch if a good deal is agreed

£150 for oil-fired central heating, £40 for electricity. 3 bed detached cottage in Scotland (it's cold here!), only partial double-glazing. We have too much loft insulation for the grant, but not as much as would have been installed if we qualified for it, apparently. hmm I've got the thermostat set at 20 just now so it is cosy for DD (7.5 months), but when I go back to work and she goes to nursery 3 days a week we can hopefully use less.

Artura Tue 30-Oct-12 22:20:13

We moved to Scottish Power (from Eon) a couple of months ago after I did a price check and they went and set our direct debit to a massive £313 a month (about double what eon was charging). I've emailed them this week - especially as the cheeky b**gers had emailed me to say they're increasing energy bills in December. They've decreased the direct debit to £130 a month (5 bed 1970s detached house). So make sure that you send in regular (i.e. monthly) meter readings so you can check you're being charged the correct amount.

Loveweekends10 Wed 31-Oct-12 05:05:32

£135 per month duel fuel capped with Scottish power. We have 4 bed semi. It's got double glazing and wall insulation.
We have heating on from about 4 during autumn winter and sometimes spring then all day during school holidays.
Just sorting out to get a little stove fitted in lounge so we can use that more instead of all central heating radiators on.
I can't stand having to wear woolly jumpers etc in the house and like the kids to not have to.
I grew up in a very cold house and hated it.

nextphase Wed 31-Oct-12 08:49:33

£67/month.
4 bed detached, new build.
I think its a comfortable temperature (assuming your wearing socks and a jumper, not shorts and teeshirt, DH), but most people think it is cool.
About the same as my 2 bed terrace 5 years ago!

OP - the Loft insulation made a big difference to the old house when we had it put in - it heated up much more quickly, stayed warmer for longer after the boiler switched off, and in the summer was much cooler.

belledejour Fri 02-Nov-12 13:35:55

£149 a month in a 4-bed terrace...and I am very stingy with the heating too. It's on for about 4-5hrs a day in winter, 2 in the morning and 3 in the evening. Still spend a lot of time garbed in a thick hoodie, thermals & uggs. Console myself with the thought that being cold burns off a fractional few extra calories!!. Heating is my biggest expenditure after food and council tax.

economistextra Thu 08-Nov-12 08:44:36

£50 per month for three bed Victorian terrace. The Victorians knew a thing two about building decent houses with thick walls!that's with a baby and constant temperature of 21, day and night..

freddybanana Mon 03-Dec-12 09:55:25

£71 a month with Scottish Power. We recently changed from British Gas to a fixed price tariff until Dec 2013. If we use the same amount of power as last year we will hopefully be paying less (fingers crossed!).

We have a small 3 bedroom semi and our heating is on 24/7 at 18 degrees.

Our walls and loft are properly insulated, windows are double glazed (not particularly brilliantly) and we had a new combi boiler installed last year which was serviced last month. I also tend to close all the curtains when we are out all day.

freddybanana Mon 03-Dec-12 09:57:12

Also...

A surveyor at work told me it was more cost effective to keep your heating on all the time. He advised 16 degrees but that's a bit too cold for me so we are set at 18 degrees which has been fine even with this cold snap.

We're in a 6 month old Passivhaus which has triple glazing, tons of insulation and mechanical heat recovery.

Our gas bill is £5 a month and we're in credit as we have solar panels to heat the water with a gas boiler as back up for when there's not much UV. Our heating hasn't been on yet and the room temps refuse to drop below 23.5c.

Leccy is about the same as in our old 2 bed house, approx £60 a month. Don't use tumble unless I have to though.

Rikalaily Mon 03-Dec-12 10:11:24

Our DD was £76 and got a letter a couple of days ago putting it up to £118, it always goes up in preperation for the winter months and this year it's only gone up £2 more than last year so I'm happy.

We have a 3 bed mid terraced which is a little bigger than average. The heating is set to come on if the temp drops below 21 during the day and 22 at night, usually comes on around 6ish and then on and off all night if the temp falls. We have alot of insulation, about double what is needed in the loft, cavity insulation and double glazing, but we have concrete floors which sucks some of the heat out, the floor even through the carpet always feels cold in the winter.

ToddlersRFab Mon 03-Dec-12 13:27:01

I pay £135 for a 4 bed det and use dw and tumble dryer each day.

Can anyone suggest the best ways of reducing the monthly bills..... I have had cavity wall insulation done in Sept but would like to know more about reducing the bills as much as possible.

losingtrust Tue 04-Dec-12 00:07:39

£88 per month for three storey 4 bed end of terrace. I am very frugal though and we all have a blanket each for sitting on the sofa to watch TV. Only have it on one hour in the morning and three at night. Don't put it on if I work from home during the day.

Bakingnovice Tue 04-Dec-12 19:55:37

Ours was nearly £185. Southern electric agreed to lower payments to £132 as we were massively in credit and now I've switched so hopefully even lower come January.

cheeseslovesme Tue 04-Dec-12 20:04:34

£160 a month, 2 bed terrace. We have no diswasher or tumble dryer. We are also not looking forward to winter. Your bill sounds quite good tbh. smile

brighthair Wed 05-Dec-12 02:29:15

Just had my bill through £134 for gas/electric for the quarter. Pretty pleased although its usually about £110 but I have had the heating on more

Bakingnovice Sun 09-Dec-12 14:27:45

£134 for the quarter??!! Wow that's really low.

Flossiechops Sun 09-Dec-12 19:14:02

I metre read each month so it varies vastly, highest last year £235 this after Christmas with lights and heating on a lot. The lowest has been £75 during the summer. I was massively in credit with southern electric when I switched supplier (had a cheque for £825!) so decided to submit readings each month. The house is a 3 storey, 4 bed Edwardian house which isn't particularly well insulated so I have to be very careful with the heating!

mam29 Sun 09-Dec-12 22:12:09

110scottish power, 3bed new build only gas is central heating.
3loads washing a day and drier.

its mad we dd so guess evens out rather than one huge bill per quarter.

Pocketmonster Sun 16-Dec-12 21:28:50

£150 a month - 4 bed Edwardian semi. Hearing on about 5 hours a day 3 days a week, on 14 hours for the other 4 days.

Tumble drier, de humidifier, dishwasher and washer on about 9 times a week.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 17-Dec-12 21:56:30

£110 a month tho did get a letter last week after I did a reading that I owe them £10k in electricity

Think I misread the figured or hope I did lol

3 bed semi. Tumble dryer and dishwasher - think will go up as didnt have a dishwasher before

Droop Tue 25-Dec-12 10:13:16

Anyone who has never switched should. You can get energy for less.

If you'd like me to help you get it sorted just PM me.

Word of warning hmm. Beware of the comparison sites, they're on commission.

katspaw Thu 27-Dec-12 00:41:41

£76/month sounds a bit low and could be a good thing or might mean trouble:

1) Have you got ahead with payments in the past and the energy co. has automatically scaled down same?

or,

2) Have you ever submitted actual readings, if so there could be issues if the estimated consumption has been on the low side?

SusieJazz Wed 27-Mar-13 14:32:46

Hi, I live in a 4 bedroom detached house and the gas alone is costing nearly £200 a month with British Gas... does that sound right to anyone? I have a new boiler and an insulated loft but cannot seem to get the bill down... heating is on timer for two hours in the morning and then five at night so thats a total of 7 hours a day. I think it seems an awful lot and would like to get others feedback if possible please. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now