Only Halloween will be scary in October - NOT our finances :)

(247 Posts)
Leilandri Tue 02-Oct-12 19:42:25

Oldies and Newbies welcome....
Can't believe we are approaching the end of the year so fast. 9 months of money-saving, thriftiness, waste awareness. We deserve a large wine grin

AdoraBell Fri 05-Oct-12 12:19:14

Hello febes and Wiggy and welcome aboard.

Valium shock at the CC, hope you can get it sorted quickly. We had a "CC conversation" last week. OH was actually trembling as he told me " I don't want any credit cards in the future, only debit cards as you can't get into debt with a debit card, so no credit cards, ever again, we don't need credit cards" so I asked him how much CC debt he's sitting on and he actually squirmed as he as he answered.

Today should be an NSD as there's really nothing I need to get. I'll check in again later to confirm my NSD, fingers crossed.

AdoraBell Fri 05-Oct-12 14:35:59

claret

You don't have to leave yourself completely without money, but I know what you mean. If you pay even a couple of quids extra then you can chip away at the overall balance and each month the interest will be ever so slightly less added to the bill. Repeat each month and keep the same amount going to it and you can beat the blood sucking B'stards see a difference after a few months.

Valium

How about DH having a card which a much smaller limit, can that be done? Or a debit card to a spending account rather than the main account?

ValiumQueen Fri 05-Oct-12 15:00:26

DH did fine with a debit card. He has his own pocket money too. I do not want to treat him like a child, but if he acts like a child...

ShoopShoop Fri 05-Oct-12 16:20:01

Thanks Adora - I don't find out the results till December, so I'm going to try and forget about it till then <pushes head firmly into sand>

I've been a bit spendy today.

£5.96 on Tomy Sqeaky Egg things for DD to put away as a stocking filler for Christmas.

£22 (ish) on 2 Orla Kiely scarves from Uniqlo - to put away for Christmas presents for friends.

£5 in M&S on their roast dinner offer. I don't eat meat so the pork belly will do DH for a couple of meals. I don't buy him meat very often so it's a bit of a treat grin

Another £5 (ish) on bread, milk and fruit but I don't need to do a big shop this weekend which is good.

We're out for lunch tomorrow (but DH is paying from his personal account - whoop!) to celebrate the end of my exams, and Sunday is a house cleaning, tidying and tip run kind of day, so should be a NSD apart from a paper and milk probably. I may even find some more junk stuff to put on eBay / Facebook grin

Valium the issues you have with your DH sound like the issues my DH have had with me!! I was just coming out of some serious student debt when I met DH - he "lent" me some money to clear my debts (apart from my student loan), so mainly overdraft etc, and has never asked for it back. I clocked up some bad CC debts too that he helped me to pay off. Thankfully I'm much better with my personal money now (and have been for the last 5 years). This thread has also really focussed my mind in terms of the joint spending we do. I'm sorry you're having issues though - you sound very lovely and understanding, but practical too smile. DH "made" me have just a cash card for a while (years ago), until he thought I could be trusted with a debit card! blush

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 05-Oct-12 17:14:09

So chicken bought in Aldi and not out of date until tomorrow is off. Take it back to the store? it shouldnt go off should it? I only bought it on Tuesday.

Xroads Fri 05-Oct-12 18:38:25

Hello to all newbies, good luck!!

Take the chicken back I say.

I've worked out I'm spending about £6 per day on petrol, can't avoid it though!

Today I've brought:
curry powder to make curry for dinner (I had all the other stuff in that I needed for a veg curry) I've got enough to freeze and have it again too.

petrol

given dc's bus fare/ lunch money

I'm feeling proud though because I managed to do the weekly shop for £55 inc delivery. There is money in my account too smile all the bills have come out as well and I'm doing a mural this weekend so I'll earn some extra money too, I did turn down a babysitting job tonight though, Im shattered and my girlie mates are coming round smile

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 05-Oct-12 19:08:42

Fluffy - I've had that experience with Aldi whole chickens more than once, it is part of why I won't shop there. I would definitely take it back for a new chicken and/or a refund.

You are all so organised with your Christmas shopping! I have done none, not a thing blush

Leilandri Fri 05-Oct-12 20:01:34

Welcome febes and Wiggy smile

Spend today £24.99 in Sue Ryder. £7 on lovely boxed set of 18 fancy candles and £5 on gorgeous Piglet money box (original RRP of £25 from Disney Store shock) for Xmas pressies, so that's another 2 friends done grin and £12.99 on dolls house furniture as a Bday pressy for me, as DH won't have time to shop for anything.

Got a wedding to go tomorrow, so having haircut (£10) and drinks at reception tho with a doe-eyed look I might get Dparents to buy for me!

On a good note my mum works in Morrisons (where I had an interview last weekend) and one of the managers has told her that I got the job. Personnel Manager is on hols tho, so won't know for definate until she returns - but it's looking good grin

AdoraBell Fri 05-Oct-12 21:49:09

I also vote for taking the chicken back, if it says it should be okay until tomorrow then it should be okay until tomorrow. just don't tell them that I wouldn't expect it to last that long, because I'm paranoid

pookey Sat 06-Oct-12 01:17:34

Welcome again all the newbies smile offers brew biscuit

Adora and Boer I had slipped a little too. Can feel myself losing interest in Lidyl and sainsbury's basics, I guess that's why posting on here reg is useful for keeping on track, also can stop the oh what's the point feelings knowing others in same boat.

I spend weekly and shop every day or so little and often but I am trying to work out items I know I will be spending each month and additional one off spends coming up on a spreadsheet at the end of the previous month (OK I only started this in sep but still wink ) that way I can adjust the budgets for groceries etc. This month I know I have a couple of parties coming up to buy presents for, various clubs, crimbo shopping, dental hygenist (that one's rolling each month as putting it off) school dinners, budgeted cafe treat with dp, and saving to pay clubs in Jan. Next month my pay is going to be low and I will need to stock up on nappies and other bits so will need to try to really be frugal this month. The spreadsheet even sets aside a little money for school trips that may crop up and £7 in case we need a prescription or medicine!

wiggy29 I might need to go to tesco, looked online after seeing your post and no half price sylvanian house. Those toys really keep their value for selling on, esp the characters; worth looking after! I bought a sylvanian set from ebay today - was so exciting and think it was quite a good price, app a slide is broken so might have to pay for a new one, fingers crossed its good enough condition for a father christmas present for dds. Might clean it up with baby wipes and a toothbrush.

I have posted some bits on gumtree one thing has sold but other things really not even being viewed.

After tip on here planning to take my dvds to cex and post rom com type ones to music magpie.

pookey Sat 06-Oct-12 01:20:22

Leilandri that's great news smile

pookey Sat 06-Oct-12 01:28:10

Ugh been there on cc conversations once dp made me stick up A4 pages stating all the amounts we owed on our cc for all to see. Didn't work - debts still got worse and we took them down! Luckily we seem to be at a point where we can talk about it calmly and work out strategy for paying them off which is amazing - didn't use to be like that.

AdoraBell Sat 06-Oct-12 04:06:54

Fantastic news Lielandri, well done.

lilacclery Sat 06-Oct-12 07:51:34

Just lost a big post on mobile will log on to laptop later!!

Wiggy29 Sat 06-Oct-12 08:53:55

Leilandri- massive congrat's on job smile

Pookey- it was in store near a section of reduced toys, my local one is quite big. Maybe you could ring in advance to save you driving over and see if they'll save you one? hmm

Spending
Taking son to break dancing classes today (£5) with his friends and for slice of pizza (£1.50 for giant slice as great local market). That sound be my only expenditure today.

The good news:
Had mums from ds's school over for a craft night last night. Made pumpkin soup with pumkin for MIL's allotment so just had to buy yoghurt. Also made some great goodies that I'll link to later which cost coppers. A lovely night for about £2. Aslo, it was agreed to combine birthday parties for our 4 ds' who have birthday at similar time so only a quarter of the cost! Just asking parents to bring one pressie and we'll split them so good for their purses and less junk to clutter his bedroom (he already has a freaky amount of unplayed with toys).
Tomorrow should be a walk down the coast and National Trust visit (both free) PLUS (phew) Music Magpie guy coming today- whoopee!

claretandamberforever Sat 06-Oct-12 09:03:23

Hopefully should be quite a limited spend weekend.

Friday's spends were £1 for my lunch, £3 for DS1 football and £15.13 on a month's worth of snacks (cake bars etc) from the magnificent Home Bargains, and two birthday cards.

Today so far £10 in one of the aforementioned birthday cards for my baby brother who is 33 today.

I've also forgotten to invoice a Doctor who I did some private medico-legal typing for, so must remember to do that on Monday. My road tax reminder came yesterday for the end of October so it'll go towards that (BOO!!!)

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 06-Oct-12 10:34:14

Thats brilliant news Leilandri, when does the personall manager get back?

Took chicken back, got a free range one. I think putting it in the drawer at the bottom of the fridge was a bad idea, I dont think it was cold enough down there.

My foil radiator reflector panels have arrived so I can fit them today, just lining the curtains has made a massive difference to the lounge.

If you register with Twinings you get emails with links for free samples. I like free stuff coming through the door it makes a change from bills. I always choose Assam and Breakfast tea.

Finally won the row with eon as to wether my gas bill was correct, it wasnt and they have sorted it so I can pay it now.

I gave a meter reading to EDF so I know I am still in credit so far with the gas and yelling at DH is having excellent results with him closing doors behind him when he leaves a heated room for an un-heated one.

I havent done any christmas shopping at all yet, I have cards left over from last year but that's all.

I dont mind shopping for Aldi stuff and basics stuff, theres a couple in our family with Really good jobs who shop for asda basic stuff, like they say a jaffa cake is a jaffa cake.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 06-Oct-12 11:09:28
BoerWarKids Sat 06-Oct-12 11:33:34

Yesterday;

Food shopping £10.50
Oystercard £5.00
Candle for me £5.00 blush
Lastly, spent £28.20 on the last of my xmas shopping! So relieved that's all done grin

ValiumQueen Sat 06-Oct-12 11:51:12

I need to get my finger out for christmas. It will be frugal, but still needs sorting. I have a vast amount of polly pocket stuff for DD1, all second hand from ebay and car boots. Will just shove it in a big box and she can rummage and have fun sorting what goes with what. The barbies often nick stuff anyway so I have given up sorting stuff. DH will have a token gift, not sure what yet, but he is getting a baby boy soon so figure that will keep him happy for a while. DD2 and DS will get hand me downs of toys and clothes as they are too young to know anything else. Other random relatives are getting school photos and I may make nice sweets too. I have told them I am being tight this year as on mat leave and have another mouth to feed.

TerrorNotSoFrightened Sat 06-Oct-12 12:10:13

Well, there will be a fair bit of spending here this month as I am aiming to finish all my Christmas shopping by the end of the month.

One tip that will help me over the festive season is that I have been ordering 2 extra items/treats for Christmas and squirrelling them away in the back of the cupboard.

Usually things that are on offer. I have bought my spices for the mulled wine, bottles of appletise, stuffing mix and other wee bits and bobs. It will all add up and stop the festive food shopping getting out of control.

CremeEggThief Sat 06-Oct-12 12:15:02

I'll catch up properly later, but just wanted to wish Leilandri congratulations for now. Great news! grin

Wiggy29 Sat 06-Oct-12 17:18:35

Valium Queen grin those pesky Barbies pinching things!

Today
The bad
Spent more than planned today as ended up paying for ds's friends to do dancing and pizza too so went from about £7 to over £20! hmm

The good
Friend gave me a (free) lesson in using a sewing machine so going to borrow MIL's to make some cheapo crimbo gifts/ things for new baby when it arrives. smile

riverboat Sat 06-Oct-12 19:08:02

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Leilandri, but glad that its hopefully good news!

Yesterday for me was spendy, as I knew it would be - withdrew 50 euros cash, most of which got spent on the combined cost of restaurant meal and present contribution (friend's birthday). But I still have a 5 euro note and a few coins knocking round my purse (usually I never carry cash) which should be useful for the upcoming week.

Today also spendy! 73 euros on the weekly shop, which I was pleased with. As I was leaving the supermarket I got collared by an old man collecting for guide dogs, and he was so sweet and passionate about his cause that I ended up giving him 2 euros.

...then I went and bought a pair of leather boots, which cost 85 euros. But that was a planned spend, I knew I needed boots for the winter and I ended up getting exactly the same ones I got last year which is great because I know they will be comfortable. If last year is anything to go by, I will wear them literally every day and they will fall apart around April time...

Hopefully tomorrow will be an NSD. All reading all this talk of Christmas reminds me I should start thinking about presents. Looks like we'll be going to in laws for the Christmas long weekend itself though, which will help massively in keeping costs down.

Leilandri Sat 06-Oct-12 22:43:42

NSD for me today grin
Went to wedding this afternoon, which was emotional and beautiful. My boys were so well behaved, I was so proud of them both. Ddad got the first round in at the reception, then when we sat down for our meal, the favours were little tophats per place which when opened contained some sweets, and drinks vouchers for the bar - so 3 glasses of red wine for free grin

Thankyou all for your congrats [flowers] Personnel Manager is back this week, so hopefully by Tuesday I will have something concrete.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now