How much do you spend on a 1st birthday?

(8 Posts)
Totobear Sun 30-Sep-12 21:46:55

Lol for evergreen. I have just spent the evening unpicking a sleeve after not reading the pattern properly. Not sure you would be getting a good scarf!

Thanks for the tips folks. Nice idea for a little sewing project.

forevergreek Sat 29-Sep-12 10:07:00

I would love a little knitted scarf as a gift ( you did say you knit)

Nellers Fri 28-Sep-12 09:01:53

I would be honest if you can be as it'll be so much easier later on. If you don't know them well enough a really tiny present is always better for this age anyway as doting relatives will bomb them with masses of stuff quite ofter. It's also less clutter. I made little lavender pillows with names on for my 1st son's friends. If you sew, the other cheap & really nice option is simple drawstring bags with a name or initial on them - I did these for the same type of group of mates & they came in at around 3.50 each.

BikeRunSki Fri 28-Sep-12 08:56:10

I'd love a hand knitted jumper for DD! In my antenatal group with DS (now 4), we all gave each other a £5 Clark's voucher, which did for DS's first couple of pairs of shoes. By 2 we had a mutual agreement not to buy presewnts, but jointly hired a soft play centre for a couple of hours. Again at 3. By 4 we were less of a close group if friends and did our own thing.

Iggly Fri 28-Sep-12 08:54:40

TBH it saves on the hassle and you can avoid receiving a load of gifts which might be redundant as one year olds aren't really that bothered. You never know, they might not be flush with cash and welcome someone suggesting it!

Totobear Fri 28-Sep-12 08:49:21

Thanks Iggly. I guess I just feel likes don't know them well enough and they seem to be more comfortably off so it wouldn't be an issue for them. But, your suggestion would be the most sensible.

Iggly Thu 27-Sep-12 14:33:33

Why don't you agree a "secret Santa" style present giving. So one person buys for one baby in the group and no others? I used todo this with a circle of friends and it kept costs down grin

Totobear Thu 27-Sep-12 14:15:53

It's a fair old while away but when the babies in my antenatal group all start turning 1, there could be a rash of parties, so how much do you think the accepted norm is to spend on a pressie?

I am thinking of knitting presents, do you think people will consider a home knit acceptable?

I wouldn't even expect a pressie but if someone bought something I wouldn't want it to be much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now