Aldi comparison!

(108 Posts)
mrsm68 Mon 24-Sep-12 08:02:27

I went to Aldi yesterday and I spent £56.81

When I got home I went on www.mysupermarket.com. Not sure if you are familiar with this site. It's for online shopping at Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys etc. you enter all your items then you can see what it would cost at each shop.

So, I entered every item that I had bought at Aldi and this was the result:

Aldi £56.81
Sainsburys £78.41
Asda. £84.09
Tesco. £86.91
I was very surprised that Asda was so high and that Sainsburys was so low shock

VivaLeBeaver Sat 29-Sep-12 19:43:30

I'll give Aldi a go next week with big bags in the trolley.

fossil97 Sat 29-Sep-12 19:50:13

I think Mysupermarket favours the supermarket you first fill the basket from - you tend to favour the special offers you are presented with and they don't always match the other supermarkets. Asda is always cheapest for me but that's where I start from.

Having said that there is no doubt Aldi is the cheapest. I just pack back into the trolley and then sort at the packing bench, takes 2 minutes. What's the big deal about packing at the till when you've already had a far cheaper and quicker shop than a big supermarket.

GrassIsntGreener Sat 29-Sep-12 20:02:45

fossil it's just how I do it, I load the belt the same way at other supermarkets anyway it's second nature. So it's easy to pop them into ready and waiting bags.

PatTheHammer Sat 29-Sep-12 20:06:27

God, I feel really stupid that I had not thought about putting big bags in the trolley before blush.
The packing bench isn't mega-annoying but it is a bit of a faff and takes longer than 2 minutes if you have acompletely full trolley. I don't mind it, cos I am saving money, but putting the bags or crates in the trolley is genius!

Ok Aldi veterans..........fill me in on what else I should and should not be buying along with the Houmous!

Rattitude Sat 29-Sep-12 21:25:02

I am quite partial to some of their wines. I can recommend the Toro Loco Tempranillo, and the Sauvignon Blanc. If you can still find it, the Minarete Ribera del Duero is very very nice and only £5.49. It was a special buy in May but it can still be found in some stores.

The orange juice (not concentrate) is good and similar to Tropicana but only £1.29/litre.

The West Country butter with salt crystals is very good (similar to Normandy/Brittany butter that you find in Tesco/Morrisons).

Vegetables and fruit are cheap but I have occasionally found that the vegetables don't quite as long as I would expect them to.

The chocolate brioche comes highly recommended but I have never tried it.

Other stuff I buy: tinned sardines, tinned tomatoes, passata, gnocchi, pasta, olive oil, washing powder (have not tested it yet!), conditioner, Greek or natural yoghurt, Parma ham, free range eggs.

I buy just about everything there apart from meat (I get it from the local butcher's), fresh fish (Morrisons instead) and croissants as they are not all-butter ones

Rattitude Sat 29-Sep-12 21:25:41

vegetables don't last quite as

Rattitude Sat 29-Sep-12 21:30:32

Viva, come back and report on your Aldi experience once you have been!

You may find that you need to complement your shopping with a mini-trip to your usual supermarket. Time-wise, you might not be worse off as going round Aldi is pretty quick as it is so compact and there is so little choice, unless you get sucked in by the Special Buys in the middle aisles... smile

VivaLeBeaver Sat 29-Sep-12 21:34:22

I did a half shop a couple of years ago and the not been able to get half the stuff I wanted annoyed me. I could go to tesco as well, it's next door to aldi so easily done.

Will try it again.

Rattitude Sat 29-Sep-12 21:36:40

I have got my eye on one of those. I would put it to good use wink.

Rattitude Sat 29-Sep-12 21:37:25

That's the spirit, Viva!

VivaLeBeaver Sat 29-Sep-12 21:38:45

I don't need a stud detector, a stud magnet would be more useful. grin

Rattitude Sat 29-Sep-12 21:39:13

I could do with both!

PigletJohn Sat 29-Sep-12 22:38:28

Bread, croissants, brioche, free range eggs, Bratwurst (chiller) and Bockwurst (in a jar), marmalades and french-style jams. Mayo is better than M&S or Hellmans. Clotted cream. Chutneys. Ground coffee.

Ritter chocolate when they have it.

Rattitude Sun 30-Sep-12 00:07:14

Avoid the Saxon toilet paper though... unless you want to get in touch with your inner self! grin

cheekybarsteward Sun 30-Sep-12 09:30:56

I have won best wine at two wine evenings with their pinot noir. Their dishwasher tablets are approved by which. They have started doing fillet steak for £5 a piece, which is around £2-3 cheaper than anywhere else. The yoghurt drinks are nice. They used to sell beef Wellington, lamb wellington and huge prawns but have not seen them for a while...they were the reason I went there.

cheekybarsteward Sun 30-Sep-12 09:31:35

Oooo and if you like clover butter they have started doing one called love

Kaloobear Sun 30-Sep-12 16:25:57

Just done a full week's shop at Aldi for the frankly astonishing price of...

£39.83!!

Mysupermarket tells me the same shop would have been...

£61.79 at Tesco (saving of £21.96)
£63.92 at Asda (saving of £24.09)
£68.76 at Sainsbury's (saving of £28.93)
£74.89 at Waitrose (saving of £35.06)

I am officially and forever an Aldi convert!

manicmum66 Wed 03-Oct-12 13:59:47

My Aldi is a 30 min drive away (I'm hoping they'll open a local one soon!) so when I go I tend to stock up on lots, especially washing powder, washing up liquid (the 59p one with GHI stamp), cling film, and other household stuff. I reckon it's about 1/3 cheaper than the own-brand version (not value ranges) of local supermarkets but often of better quality.

Right - last week I went in with my vouchers from The Mirror. I needed to spend £35 to save £5.

When I'd done my shop I was disappointed to have only spent £32 so (as I had been so quick at packing) the lady told me to go and grab some wine or something to make up the difference. I grabbed a random bottle, went back, used my token and only spent £31 grin

I now have some absolutely random shit that I'm scared to drink. It's called Cromwell Cream or something here

Anyone wanna tell me what it's like? I'm thinking about putting it in an XMas hamper for someone else wink

Oh crap - I think it's like Harvey's Bristol cream. EUGH.

PigletJohn Fri 05-Oct-12 19:33:57

oh dear.

It's a "British Wine"

put it in a trifle

Or take it back and change it for a nice Fino.

Aldi are very good about refunds and exchanges, and their wines and spririts are usually good buys (don't know about their sherries). Their Shiraz and Merlot are very nice, in a New World way.

2712 Fri 05-Oct-12 20:02:58

I nipped into Lidl yesterday for some milk. Had a quick look in the freezer at the meat and was amazed at how cheap it is. am planning to swap from Tesc to Lidi now.
Question though....which is better aldi or Lidl?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 05-Oct-12 20:20:42

Try both. I like aldi but others prefer lidl.

DameKewcumber Fri 05-Oct-12 21:16:08

Use it in cooking - sherry trifle anyone?

Rattitude Fri 05-Oct-12 21:27:56

I prefer Aldi to Lidl too. I think the Lidl yellow and blue colour scheme puts me off... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now