TK Maxx - utter rubbish or are there bargins to be found?

(43 Posts)
bacon Sun 16-Sep-12 08:59:18

I have yet to see anything thats worth buying. Some very odd designer labels and much looks like it could come from a street market.

Homeware again some odd brands and even wonder if the branded stuff is good value.

Anyone seen something worth buying?

slug Wed 07-Nov-12 13:43:17

Frizzbonce. You made me grin It reminds me of the Simpson's episode where Marge found a Chanel suit in a discount store.

Personally I always look at the shoes. As a wide footed size 8 I rarely find anything that fits in normal shops but have found some barginilicious ones in TKMaxx

Frizzbonce Wed 07-Nov-12 13:23:51

Bacon - 99% of the time it's stuff that hasn't sold because it's just horrible or the colour is vile. I particularly remember a consignment of LK Bennet dresses the exact colour of mustardy nappies.

And then one day I stumbled across a Prada dress tucked away in the 'shirts the colour of diseased fishes underbellies' section. A perfect plum coloured Prada shift in my size. Cost £50. I think I heard angels singing as I tried it on or it could just have been me whimpering in amazement. So every now and again you can get a stonkingly wonderful thing but whether it's worth elbowing your way through all the crap I don't know.

Also not bad for jeans and homeware stuff. Picked up some Jamie Oliver cutlery for a fiver.

Brugmansia Mon 05-Nov-12 07:14:43

I find it's generally better for men's clothes. DP has got quite a few really good quality suits and coats over the years. It's a bit more hit and miss for women and they don't have equivalent classic tailoring.

Milkybrew Tue 23-Oct-12 18:23:51

Michael Kors winter down filled coat for just £69.99 today! Really pleased with it! They also had some nice Ralph Lauren riding style boots, but I didn't love them and at £129.99 I needed to really love them!

Bella1982 Tue 23-Oct-12 18:18:40

Got a Whistles dress in there for £29.99 yesterday. Very pleased with that!

teacher123 Sun 21-Oct-12 09:17:36

As others have said - grobags are less than half price in there. They have hunter Wellies in our local one, nice stuff from crew etc

Viperidae Sat 20-Oct-12 13:48:57

Agree it is hit and miss but, for a while, they had some excellent plus size stuff and I have had some brilliant home stuff including a super king size Dorma bedding set for £40 that was over £300 full price on the Dorma website.

I have also had some excellent handbags, several Patrick Cox ones, a BillyBag and a Zandra Rhodes for DD.

Used to be great as I worked in town and could walk past regularly on my way back to the car but, since changing jobs, I don't go in as often so it is harder to find the really good stuff.

sleepyhead Sat 20-Oct-12 13:43:29

All the weird names you've never heard of are TK Maxx "own brands" (they have hundreds), but there are proper bargains to be had if you look regularly and get lucky on sizes/colours.

You can't really go in with something specific in mind ime.

I came out of my local TK Maxx with £300 worth of shoes for £75.
Iron Fist ones that I had been coveting for over a year!

SaraBellumHertz Sat 20-Oct-12 13:23:30

The one local to me is pretty good - great shoes and underwear.

I have to be in the mood though

LadyLapsang Sat 20-Oct-12 13:15:52

You have to be prepared to go in and come out with nothing or lots of things you didn't need at that moment but have bought lots of great stuff over the years:
Designers Guild bed linen;
Calvin Klein wool & cashmere coat;
Fantastic designer bargains for long, slim DS especially when he had a 28 inch waist and 34 inch inside leg!
Clarins skin care;
Falke tights;
Lejeby lingerie;
LK Bennett dresses, skirts, jackets......

trice Mon 08-Oct-12 21:10:33

I got some lovely cashmere in there at the weekend. I loved it so much I went back and bought the same thing again for when I manage to boil wash it by accident and it comes out of the machine like a postage stamp.

scottishmummy Mon 08-Oct-12 20:30:28

agree
I go in immediately opens
and not peak times.to many grabby shuvey big birds

ScaryBOOAlot Mon 08-Oct-12 20:28:23

I love TKMaxx. But only when its quiet. Never approach at a weekend!!!

Best bargain I ever got was my beautiful prom dress. RRP was £80, cost me £15.

scottishmummy Mon 08-Oct-12 20:26:53

you need to go in store and rummage
can be like a midden
do persevere though

notcitrus Mon 08-Oct-12 20:24:22

Some branches really are better than others.
But they always have Grobags (and unbranded ones), excellent toys and pop-up books etc among the dross (so stock up for presents), good branded kitchen items and towels and bedding.

The clothes are more variable - more dross - but at least are arranged by size and type so I can look at say suits and tops in my size quickly, rather than in a department store having to look at every bloody brand separately.

The chocs and stuff near the checkout is usually poor value though - probably how they make half their profit...

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 08-Oct-12 20:19:31

I always check TK Maxx before buying something big (coat, suit, saucepan). Either get very lucky or no joy at all.

in answer you the OP, it's both full of hidden gems and complete tat. But that's part of the fun for a bargain hunter like me - it makes me feel more smug to have unearthed the Calvin Klein dress for £40 or winter coats for the kids for £8 each smile

Bunbaker Mon 08-Oct-12 20:16:05

I think some TK Maxx branches are better than others. My local one is like a jumble sale , but others I have been in have been more organised.

I have a brilliant pair of jeans that fit perfectly and a stylish raincoat that I bought recently. You can also get some excellent homeware bargains, but you have to be prepared to look.

FairyPenguin Mon 08-Oct-12 20:13:48

The only things I have bought from there have been baby toys and books. They often have Grobags and really good toys and puzzles at bargain prices.

They are also quite good for coats, but that could be because they're easier to rummage through.

I have not got the patience to look through any of the other stuff as it's too designer/skimpy/shiny for my tastes. And often in the wrong place so if I ever see anything i like it's not in my size.

BillyBollyBandy Mon 08-Oct-12 20:12:43

Bed sheets are cheap and great quality

Kids clothes also very good, as are grobags if you have little ones.

Just bought dd1 a Trespass coat for £20 reduced from £70 which will last her and dd2 forever.

Also live in hush puppies and they are usually at least half price.

mizu Mon 08-Oct-12 20:09:43

Lovely petrol blue TOAST cardigan, shetland wool. £115 down to £15. Although ridiculously priced to start with. Usually can't be bothered to rake through everything though.

fossil97 Sat 29-Sep-12 19:57:25

I like TK Maxx, but you have to be a bit of a regular. Depends what you want but I normally find what I'm looking for. I like the way that there are so many brands and styles that there is a really wide choice from quite mumsy to very teenage, rather than traipsing round loads of different shops. 75% of the womens clothing is bizarre though! If you go in looking for say a vase or baking tray or pair of jeans, there's bound to be something. If they lack anything it's plain basics like workwear - it's mostly too designer-detailed.

changeforthebetter Tue 25-Sep-12 17:11:23

Don't know why my flowers icon didn't work hmm

iseenodust Tue 25-Sep-12 17:10:09

I can't face the rummage through ladies clothes but toys are often a bargain. Also branded tshirts for teen nephews. Best bargain was a good quality ski jacket & salopettes for DS & the jacket lasted 2 years of school wear and tear.

changeforthebetter Tue 25-Sep-12 17:10:00

I know what you mean but I was in Boots recently looking at posh make.up brushes. A lovely lady told me to go to TK Maxx where I not them for less than a third of the price thanks to anonymous lady smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now