September is here and our money-saving steps up a gear

(349 Posts)
economymode Sat 01-Sep-12 11:01:12

Starting us off for September. Newbies and old hands welcome!

Oooh, good idea economy mode, I will check and see over there.

Leilandri Sun 02-Sep-12 20:54:16

riverboat we cook chicken thighs alot in our house. A fave is to place in an oven dish, add wedges of fresh lemon, ripped up thyme or sage or rosemary, few peeled garlic cloves and drizzle with oil. Bung in oven (180c fan oven) for 20-30 mins, serve with scrubbed and diced sweet potato that has been bunged in oven with some oil, salt and pepper for the same amount ot time. Yummy grin

NSD here today. Actually have 'earned' £29 from various baby bits selling on FB.
Still waiting for ady to come and buy my Buggypod - another £45. Taking DS's to Legoland on the 11th, so would like some guilt-free pocket money smile

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 02-Sep-12 21:30:19

Fluffy for me it has been the double-whammy of increased spending over the holidays, plus uniform and other associated back to school costs. Plus a possible hiatus in invoices being due for our business.

Almost a NSD today. We bought a Sunday paper and some green beans for dinner because my brother came unexpectedly and I didn't have enough of any one vegetable.
Tomorrow should be a NSD for me. I need to sew name tapes, and clean my house before DS1's reception teacher comes to visit on Tuesday!
Tuesday I have this term's karate subs to pay for DS1, and Wednesday I am taking the boys out for tea with a couple of their friends.

Chicken thighs - brown with onions and garlic, remove from the pan. Add rice, peppers, tinned tomatoes, herbs, stir and cook for a few minutes. Then add white wine and chicken stock and add the thighs back to the pan.
In the oven for 45 minutes or until the rice has cooked through and absorbed the liquid. Add some peas and cook for a few more minutes.

Yum.

Ruprekt Mon 03-Sep-12 00:20:44

marking my place

AdoraBell Mon 03-Sep-12 01:29:54

Hello newbies

economy that's great about the car, glad the neighbours are decent types.

NSD here today, haven't left the house. DDs did ask to go to the shops just to look, so I explained about using petrol today when I need to do the same journey tomorrow to collect them from school. They accepted my argument grin

Tomorrow I need to get a few bits, but I have a freezer full of protein so it's just veg/salad/fruit and dairy this week.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 03-Sep-12 09:24:26

Morning everyone.

I'm hoping for a NSD today in terms of food/random items/bits for the DCs etc.
I have just had to phone the plumber though, our overflow is leaking. We have such hard water here that the valves in the cold water tank get caked with limescale and need replacing about every 6-12 months. It should only be about £70-80, the guy we use is incredibly good value and has no call-out charge.

We found him on this website Checkatrade, and I really recommend using it for any tradespeople you need to find. Everyone we have used from it has been very good value and excellent quality of work.

Badvoc Mon 03-Sep-12 09:46:38

Flapjack recipe:
300g of butter
300g of brown sugar
4tbps of golden syrup
500g oats
Half tin condensed milk.

Put butter and sugar and syrup in a lathe pan and heat slowly stirring so it doesn't catch.
When Butter has melted take off heat and add condensed milk.
Then add oats.
Stir together.
Put in Swiss roll tray or similar which has got baking parchment on and put in oven for 10-15 mins at 160 degrees.
Voila!

Makes loads. I used asda own brand condensed milk and their smart price oats (1kg) and it tasted great.

£1 tonight for ds1s youth club...really need to just buy milk/veg this week...have spent all my food budget for this week already!

ShoopShoop Mon 03-Sep-12 09:59:28

Morning All - please may I join? We're doing ok financially, but I just have this nagging feeling that we could be doing better. I know I could save on things like:

- Where I do the weekly shop (must stop shopping at Waitrose....blush)
- Taking my lunch into work rather than dashing out to M&S
- Not buying a coffee every morning
- etc, etc

Money just slips through my fingers....both in my account and our joint account. With our 1 year old costing a small fortune in nursery fees (full time), I feel I need to rein in the spending before we do get ourselves into poop.

We only have one car and I walk to work and nursery, so in theory it should be pretty easy to have a few NSDs every week. I'm veggie and cook most meals from scratch so again, in theory, my shopping bill shouldn't be too large......but it is!!

Anyway, apologies for the long post - I do feel better about writing it all down though!! grin

Already failed today.....M&S coffee and croissant on the way to work....oops. Must try harder tomorrow!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 03-Sep-12 10:36:25

Shoop, money used to slip through my fingers too.

I add up how much little stuff costs and the equate it to a bill. eg a coffee and a shop bought lunch might be £6 a day or £30 a week or £120 a month or £1440 based on 4 weeks annual leave working year, which might be like paying another council tax bill or gas/electric bill.

I leave my card at home. If you've got a packed lunch and enough petrol in the car what would I need to buy?

Today I just need smartprice curry sauce and ice cream wafers. I'm on the hunt for reduced pork shoulder.

ShoopShoop Mon 03-Sep-12 12:49:13

Fluffy - you speak a lot of sense. smile. Shocking when you work out what that coffee and sandwich is costing per month / year. I'm an accountant too blush.....luckily I'm better with other peoples money than my own!! grin

I will draw some cash out tonight when I've worked out what I need for the rest of the week, and then leave the cards at home.

I need milk and bread on the way home.....must not get tempted by anything other than this.

BoerWarKids Mon 03-Sep-12 13:03:03

Thanks for the recipe, Badvoc!

SilkInsideAChestnutShell Mon 03-Sep-12 13:11:18

I've been good - had a coffee date but used leftover cash from last month. Bought baby supplies using advantage card points and got two plastic plates for toddler feeding for 22p in the wilko's sale.
Sold enough on eBay to cover what I spent there last week blush, and sold the single pushchair for more than the double cost grin. Still need to get carrycot and rain cover though...
So feeling happy w this frugal start to the month.

economymode Mon 03-Sep-12 13:31:54

Doing well today - free playgroup and then 50p on a shirt that EconomyBoy can wear to a wedding next month.

Need to get cat food this afternoon, though. She's a fussy madam and will only eat the stuff that costs 89p/small can (an old lady, stuck in her ways).

I need to sell our single buggy, Silk, but can't shift it. It's a Graco one, that I love, but seems to devalue really really quickly. I might end up giving it to someone who really needs it as we need to get rid of it soon.

SilkInsideAChestnutShell Mon 03-Sep-12 13:55:05

Have you tried gumtree economy? Or just a sign in the newsagent window? No fees this way.

economymode Mon 03-Sep-12 13:57:03

Yep, tried gumtree and our local classified sites. Will keep trying again. Not tried a local sign, will give that a shot.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 03-Sep-12 14:53:16

Definitely going to be a NSD here today - yay!

I have also made DH sit down and work through his direct debits to see exactly how much they are (reducing as we pay off some CC debt angry), and they are less than we thought - in other words he is managing to fritter more cash per month than I realised...
I am a bit annoyed. He earns good money, but that is no reason to let it dribble away - especially when we do have the CC to finish paying off!

Silk I love Boots advantage card. DH is on their contact lens plan, so we get the points for that each month, plus a 10% discount on all Boots own brand products - including No.7.

SilkInsideAChestnutShell Mon 03-Sep-12 15:07:43

alibaba DH also has a good income, but his idea of frugal is very different to mine. Grrr.
Feeling the Boots love right now. Got a pushchair in their parenting 20% sale, £20 back thru' quidco and about £50 off advantage card points - a special bonus offer smile. Aim to spend them on things we need (baby wipes, maternity pads, oh the glamour), and am trying to stay away from the beauty stuff!

CremeEggThief Mon 03-Sep-12 15:42:09

Isn't it lovely to see this thread so active and catch up with everyone's news and tips. smile

£7.19 spend today, but most of that was on a bottle of wine and chocolates for our lovely next door neighbours, for looking after our cat last week. £2.39 of it went on pitta bread, cookies and a 2nd class stamp.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 03-Sep-12 15:58:26

I am thinking of setting up a direct debit for August, in the same way that I do for Christmas. Does anyone do this already?

silk - I used points to restock my travel bag ahead of this weekend's trip. Little bottles of things really add up!

cremeegg the tips are good. My parents have always been pretty well off and my Mum isn't an especially frugal housekeeper so a lot of this is new to me. My Dad is tighter than a nun's chuff in some ways, but will go out and spend really huge amounts of money on things he wants for a hobby (camera, skis).
DH and I don't have the security of income that they have always done (Drs), so we need to be more careful and probably save a bigger proportion of our income.

BonkeyMollocks Mon 03-Sep-12 16:22:43

Ok, so todays spending :

-£28 in Iceland
-£58.67 in Asda
-£3.50 in the pet shop

I have £9 left in my bank and £3.25 in change. Thats it until next Monday . confused .

Any money that goes into dh's account needs to stay there and try and bring down this overdraft before we get the bills.

I managed to get at least two weeks worth of dinners in the shop so next week will be alot cheaper.

All i should need to buy for the rest of this week is bread and milk top ups!

Leilandri Mon 03-Sep-12 16:28:03

Done well today. Spent £2 on a Bear Workshop for DS1's teddy for Xmas, and £2.50 on all-you-can-drink coffee at Mummy meet. Did order dinner there, and split a 2 for £10 deal with another Mummy, but our food took so long to come out that we complained, got our money back and still had a scrummy lunch grin

Have made £28.50 today on selling baby bits, so a £24 profit - more days like that please!!

CremeEggThief Mon 03-Sep-12 16:42:37

Sounds like a super day, Leilandri smile.

QueenofJacksDreams Mon 03-Sep-12 17:16:16

Fluffycloudland77 Pork shoulder is on offer £1.50 per KG in Morrisons right now if you're near one smile

I'd join in but DH is doing everything because my morning sickness is so bloody awful angry Man spends a fortune too.

I have spent today:

£1.89 in the corner shop for some diet coke (for me) and sweets (for the kids)

£5.95 for a bale of hay for the animals

£3.00 in Mothercare for some socks for DD to try on school shoes

My mother has decided to buy their shoes this year, so I've saved a fair whack of money there, she spend £34 on DD's shoes and gave me £40 towards DS's shoes. All good stuff.

economymode Mon 03-Sep-12 19:00:38

I thought we'd had a good day, until MrEconomy came back from the dentist and said the hygeinist appt he'd just had cost £61, and that was with a discount. He also needed prescription toothpaste and has to buy an electric toothbrush. Like I said, I thought it was going so well...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now