Writers! Post here to get the creative writing club reinstated!

(214 Posts)
Psychobabble Tue 02-Sep-08 21:59:24

MNHQ might put this topic back in the topic list if people post here to say they want it, any creative writers around tonight? smile

FairyTaleEnding Thu 04-Sep-08 21:38:09

Can I join in please?

And me??

Cappuccino Thu 04-Sep-08 21:45:09

um

teafortwo Thu 04-Sep-08 21:57:05

Of course this will work!!!

Throws a note across the room to alittleteapot then starts drawing T42 on the desk stree' stylie! grin

Seriously - this is a really exciting idea. So... writers do you chat ideas for plot, character, scenes or do you read each others work or a bit of both?

Perhaps I should stop spoiling your thread by posting on it all the time and start just sitting back and let the magic happen! I am going to read and enjoy! The trouble is I am too excited!!!!

FairyTaleEnding Thu 04-Sep-08 23:12:30

Thanks psychobabble for starting this. It's actually inspired me to write something this evening. Hey, only fifteen minutes worth, but it's a start ... Could really do with the discipline that a group might instil!

FairyTaleEnding Thu 04-Sep-08 23:13:20

PS Am going to bed now - worn out from literary exertions, obv.

teafortwo Thu 04-Sep-08 23:25:06

fairytaleending - Sleep well. In the morning can we read a bit of your writing? It would mean a lot to me!

alittleteapot Thu 04-Sep-08 23:36:14

Well done FairyTale. Maybe we should all have a 15 minutes a day pact. I haven't done anything for ages but have been thinking of leaving dd with dp on saturday mornings and heading out to write in a cafe.

I managed to get a bit over a page done last night. Not bad considering DD slept terribly up until midnight! I'm getting into the flow of the story now so I'm quite enjoying it. smile

teafortwo Fri 05-Sep-08 08:21:14

What did you write about, chargabor?

QuintessentialShadow Fri 05-Sep-08 08:22:28

oh sweet cake and mother of fudge, another thread to keep me from working??? Just what I need. wink

Teafortwo I just poured out my woes on the other thread. <sigh>

QuintessentialShadow Fri 05-Sep-08 08:24:02

And what do you mean you are not a writer but a reader, teafortwo, your writing, my friend, is like a painting, dimly lit and atmospheric, but there to enjoy.

It's going to be a novel, hopefully. It's about a woman who goes to another world when she sleeps. The world is being destroyed by a thief, who has stolen something important, and the woman has to save it. Not sure exactly where it's going atm, but it's going better than my usual stories!

teafortwo Fri 05-Sep-08 08:45:36

qs!!!! Nice to see you - I wanted to tell you about this thread when I first found it but was I was worried you'd think me bossy and a little afraid you might stop foocing! wink Do you think we should tell litchick to head this way too?

Incase anyone is wondering what t42 and qs are gowwwwwiiiin on abbbaaaaarrrt.... Here...
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/2423/576865

Hey - WHAT a lovely thing to say about my 'writing'!!!! blush However, I think there is a big difference between a mumsnet post here and there and writing real fiction! Now THAT is something I have so much respect for. I like the idea of sitting amongst you all as you write! QS I have been wondering what you are writing about - are you allowed to spill the beans?

Charcharagabor - WOW - what a gripping storyline... I was wondering... are you going to compare and contrast her real life and her dream life or do we only know about this dream world? - I think this could make a good young adult novel.... who are you thinking about for your audience?

Thankyou teafortwo! Her parents think she is going mad, so most of the rl parts are her being seen by doctors etc. It's a bit of a fantasy I suppose, lots of time manipulation and things like that. I haven't really decided the audience yet! blush I'm thinking possibly adult or young adult. Seeing as the only person who will read it is probably DP it shouldn't be too much of a problem! grin

matildax Fri 05-Sep-08 08:59:57

hi all, can i join too??
ive always wanted to write, and have 2 or 3 unfinished pieces kicking around somewhere!! wink i just need a kick up the backside to finish them, this could be just what i need!
i am also starting a creative writing class, at the local high school, as i am determined to at least give it a go. i enjoy writing so so much, i really think of it as fun! smile

QuintessentialShadow Fri 05-Sep-08 09:04:50

t42 it is rather complicated. grin The agency wants 6 books by january for a series. They want to see a synopsis of all by mid october, and what you have so far. I have three books ready (as far as they can ever be ready) will have to do some work on the synopsis and develop the ideas for the other 3... But this means, if they chose to not go with it, there has been a lot of work, and no luck.

It is about an older teenager (18) who moves with her parents to a fictional island in the mediterranean, which is a melting pot between catholic and muslim cultures. We are with the family as they get to know this new culture and settle in their new lives, and their jobs, and the girl starts university. The move affects her quite a bit, and as she battles with an eating disorder and her relationship with her mum, starts going to therapy and many things about her past and her family is thus unravelled.

It is quite serious, but with some comic elements to lighten up, especially between some quite heavy psychoanalytical sessions with her therapist. (All read, discussed and checked by a psychiatrist so is ok in terms of therapy, psychology,etc)

Better get back to the synopsis. Thanks for asking. Writing the synopsis of what is already written is harder than how I plan to progress the story further.

sorry I do waffle on a bit

Welcome matildax! smile

Psychobabble Fri 05-Sep-08 09:29:36

wow, loads of people here now!

teafortwo - we don't necessarily have to post work for other people to read, it just seemed that there was this topic lurking off the topic list that no one could post on, yet every so often a thread for writers comes up somewhere else on the board. Whenever I mention to people in rl that I like to write they look at me as if I have two heads, so I thought it would be nice to chat to like minded people here

matildax Fri 05-Sep-08 09:38:32

thanks charchargabor smile
be back later, the 'drudgery' of daily life is calling!!!! wink
have a good day all
xx

teafortwo Fri 05-Sep-08 09:43:07

qs - WOW!!! It sounds like a fab story - I am impressed!!! When is it out in English though grin???

I am completely stunned by your publishers being such a pain insisting on 6 books by January - don't they realise art is organic?

Welcome matildax!

pillowcase Fri 05-Sep-08 10:23:03

QS sounds fantastic, I'm already wanting to know what happens to her! Tough writing the synopsis though.

I've ordered one of those 'write a novel in a month' type books awaiting delivery. Will let you know if it's good.

matildax,
it's hard to look at old work isn't it. but sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised.

charchargabor,
your plot sounds intriguing, I'm unable to get too far from real life in my writing, which can sometimes be a problem.

teafortwo,
I'm already thinking 'marrakech mint tea' sounds poetic, you should incorporate that somewhere.

psychobabble,
Great thread!

Hello to everyone else, hope this thread gets really exciting and inspirational!

OK, off to write my 300 words

FairyTaleEnding Fri 05-Sep-08 10:27:30

Hi everyone. I am loving this thread already. Very shy about posting work, though ... My writing life is a constant battle with my inner critic, so my first struggle is to overcome that and get some words down on the bloody page. I'm writing a film script, based on some events in my childhood. Some of it is just therapy, really, but it's taking on a life of its own and it's such a buzz when it takes off like that! I have a bit of time this morning (DD has just started pre-school, guilt guilt!) so am going to try to get some more done.

Agree a 15 minute pact would be a great idea. Really impressed with people's brilliant ideas.

Thanks pillowcase. I'm normally the same, but this book is based on a dream I had. It was weird, the dream even had chapter headings, so I'm taking that as a sign it's meant to be written! Usually I don't write things like this at all.

FTE I'm really critical of myself as well. DP asked to read my first chapter the other night and I was quite scared as I thought it was shite. But he loved it! Still got a lot of work to do on it though.

I tried to get a bit done whilst DD was eating breakfast, but she decided 5 minutes was enough time for eating so wasn't able to. I write more when she's in bed, so I'll probably get down to it again tonight.

teafortwo Fri 05-Sep-08 10:58:58

So... qs and lit chick (when we catch her) are published writer?

Do the rest of you writing as a hobby or as your job?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now