Are there and Book Editors here at mn?

(66 Posts)
KerryMum Wed 05-Mar-08 11:00:22

particularly novels.

snowleopard Wed 05-Mar-08 12:10:06

UD is right in general KerryMum, but still, you've written the thing which is a major step, and I wouldn't give up hope.

Get a copy of the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook and select some publishers and agents and send them a one-page summary and the first three chapters. Send to lots of people and don't hang about waiting for replies - but you might hear from some.

Also, if you want to write, working on your next novel is a good idea - if an agent or publisher likes you they'll be hoping you do more.

KerryMum Wed 05-Mar-08 12:05:49

have won silly school awards and the like for my writing.

PeatBog Wed 05-Mar-08 12:05:21

UQD, sadly yes.

Fence, £20/hr is for on-screen, major editing ('change whatever you want' hmm), which saves them money on typesetting, and which I seem to be doing more and more (tis tres dull deleting commas and spaces).

Otherwise it varies, but around £18.

KerryMum Wed 05-Mar-08 12:05:18

oh missed that post UQD. sad

Still I will persist.

Have been writing since a child and has always been what I KNEW I must be doing with my life.

Life has just waylaid me for 10 years or so.

But it's time.

If I knew an established author can I ask for help or is that not a done thing?

snowleopard Wed 05-Mar-08 12:05:17

Ha ha UD! I'm a writer/editor (not fiction though so haven't got much to contribute here) and I live in the same area of Edinburgh as JK.

I have heard "Oh so you are like JK Rowling then... you must be friends with her!" about 100 million times.

No I'm not. No I don't. And if I could compare myself to her don't you think I would have a slightly larger house?

policywonk Wed 05-Mar-08 12:02:25

I'm afraid UQD is very much on the button with that analysis.

fencesitter Wed 05-Mar-08 12:01:30

PeatBog, you must be massively in demand if you can charge £20 an hour for copy-editing fiction! I thought I was doing well getting £18 [considers re-invoicing current job]. Hmph!

PeatBog Wed 05-Mar-08 12:01:19

Yes, agents are very much used over here. Most books that get published - the vast majority in fact - come through agents. I'm so out of touch, I wouldn't know which agent is best for a supernatural thriller, but you need to send it to the right sort.

Once you've worked out who that might be, though, it will (eventually) get read.

also, re your previous queries, don't worry about having to get your own work copyedited at this stage - the pubs will look after all of that once they've taken you on.

KerryMum Wed 05-Mar-08 12:00:51

coughing fit from blowing off the cobwebs but here it goes....

UnquietDad Wed 05-Mar-08 12:00:12

I'm not an expert on the US market, but it's hard to get published anywhere.

An agent has to love your work and take you on. My agent has taken on one new person in the past year or so. Then they have to get an editor who loves your work too, and who can persuade all their colleagues it is wonderful. Then they have to get it past Sales and Marketing.

Then if you finally get a contract it will be for a paltry advance which you think must be missing a zero somewhere.

And a year later, they smuggle the book on to the shelves under cover of darkness, hide it in the back of the shop in the wrong section - if you are lucky enough to get it in any shops at all - and it will sell 727 copies. They know this because they have only printed 1000 and expect 25% of them to come back. They then tell you it is your fault that the book wasn't commercial enough to sell well. And drop you.

Meanwhile your friends bang on about JK fucking Rowling all the time and you want to shove their heads in the oven.

Threadworm Wed 05-Mar-08 11:59:39

Yes I think agents are much used here. And it's hard evebn to get them to pay attention to your stuff.

KerryMum Wed 05-Mar-08 11:56:28

would agents be used much over here?

policywonk Wed 05-Mar-08 11:56:26

100x! What were you doing at RH?

KerryMum Wed 05-Mar-08 11:56:14

I have friends in the States who say it is virtually impossible to even get an agent.

KerryMum Wed 05-Mar-08 11:55:45

is it as hard to get published here as in the States?

PeatBog Wed 05-Mar-08 11:55:20

yes, fence, it was 'upstairs' at the time, now all over the shop after the 'reorganisation'

PeatBog Wed 05-Mar-08 11:54:16

KerryMum, you should have no worries about copyright. Just make sure you send the MS to established agents/publishers (see Writers and Artists Yearbook) and keep a copy and it'll be fine.

If you are published, the standard agreement you sign should cover you fairly. And any agent worth their salt will defend you from any weaselly publisher trying to get more than they should.

UnquietDad Wed 05-Mar-08 11:54:16

You mean copyright, as opposed to copywriting for ads etc?

In my experience (of writing and teaching), people stress too much about "copyrighting" ideas. They are paranoid that someone at a publishing house is going to steal their idea and pass it off as someone else's. This just doesn't happen.

fencesitter Wed 05-Mar-08 11:53:51

cross-posted with 100x... think you meant peatbog. But same thought!

fencesitter Wed 05-Mar-08 11:52:58

PeatBog - do you mean 'upstairs' at RH in the hallowed literary halls? Or through the wall in the CHA area (now, I believe, smashed down to reveal all the Hutch staff asleep at their desks)?

KerryMum Wed 05-Mar-08 11:50:14

As an aside can any of you tell me what is the copywriting process in UK or specifically Ireland?

If I want to protect my work that is.

ahundredtimes Wed 05-Mar-08 11:50:11

When you say the 'other side' do you mean up the stairs fencesitter?

fencesitter Wed 05-Mar-08 11:49:19

grin

Am wondering now who it was that you knew...

I'm now a freelance editor but will only take on work through publishers.

KerryMum Wed 05-Mar-08 11:49:01

I miss the days when you could say what you want on the net.

PeatBog Wed 05-Mar-08 11:48:37

ah!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now