Some please give me a kick in the arse.....

(32 Posts)
KerryMum Mon 18-Feb-08 10:38:55

finished the first draft of a novel over 10 years ago. It has been languishing since then, waiting for me to edit, rewrite, etc. It is no coincidence that this coincides with my moving to Ireland, getting married and having kids.

But now I'm wanting to get back to it. Time has moved on and parts of the story, while prescient when written, now are a bit dated.

It's MASSIVE. Over 800 pages.

I'm daunted but desperate to get at it again.

Karen999 Mon 18-Feb-08 10:39:46

<<kicking you up the arse....now get to it>>

grin

Wisteria Mon 18-Feb-08 10:40:16

ask mnhq to ban you for a bit!

set a goal to revise 50 pages+ a day?

KerryMum Mon 18-Feb-08 10:41:18

major plot changes to be done.

It's my baby. It's what is ME. sad

KerryMum Mon 18-Feb-08 10:41:34

Banning might be a good idea.

KerryMum Mon 18-Feb-08 10:42:34

I was smoking when I wrote it. I've quit for over 10 years now but the thought of working on it has me craving fags again. shock

[as she coughs up another bit of lung with this bronchitis]

filthymindedvixen Mon 18-Feb-08 10:45:16

Set yourself 'Office hours', make sure you are up and dressed. Set a timer, go do it!!

saltire Mon 18-Feb-08 10:49:23

Is this a new topic then? Never noticed it before?

Wisteria Mon 18-Feb-08 10:51:39

KM - the thing is you are procrastinating - if you really want to do it then stop pissing about and get down to it.

<Reads post and applies to self.........bye!>

Desiderata Mon 18-Feb-08 10:57:37

I'm writing a novel at the moment, KM. If you kick my arse, I'll kick yours.

800 pages is mahoosive. What did you write it on? Post-It Notes??

onebatmother Mon 18-Feb-08 11:00:52

vg desi!

Kerry, young lady. Have you actually taken it out of it's file/loft etc?

KerryMum Mon 18-Feb-08 11:02:08

You goof Desi! grin

They DID have computer back then you know!!!

I didn't know you were writing a novel as well! Cool. I think TripletEm is also.

Wisteria - are you writing?

Saltire - it's been here for a while but I don't think it shows on topic list. I caught it when someone posted about something else.

KerryMum Mon 18-Feb-08 11:02:52

It's sitting on desk next to me and in bucket under desk (tis big, plus notes)

It smells....

musty sad

KerryMum Mon 18-Feb-08 11:03:35

okay.

Am reaching over and opening notes on Part One.

Desi - go get busy.

onebatmother Mon 18-Feb-08 11:06:02

in bucket? you are confusing it with your bleaching smalls I think.

Wisteria Mon 18-Feb-08 11:09:03

see? Still here blush

I am at college with loads of unfinished work to do..... but after this post I am going really.

Have a wonderful (IMO obviously) novel in my head but I have to wait for certain people not to be here anymore as it's autobiographical!

Desi wink

PMSL at go and get busy - that's what we tell our dogs when we want them to do their business!

vonsudenfed Mon 18-Feb-08 11:11:32

If it's any consolation, I am also revising a novel which I started in 2001 (work and kids have rather got in the way here too). I'm retyping it, as this makes me listen to the words, and think about what I'm writing. What kind of novel is yours?

And also, there is a generic arse-kicking word count thread [[http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/9/461408?stamp=080218095700 here] if that helps.

PS. How's the sick ward? I'm much better today, but don't think I will be able to tackle the cake buffet I had planned for my birthday (we were going to go to the best teashop for 50 miles sad.

vonsudenfed Mon 18-Feb-08 11:11:32

If it's any consolation, I am also revising a novel which I started in 2001 (work and kids have rather got in the way here too). I'm retyping it, as this makes me listen to the words, and think about what I'm writing. What kind of novel is yours?

And also, there is a generic arse-kicking word count thread [[http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/9/461408?stamp=080218095700 here] if that helps.

PS. How's the sick ward? I'm much better today, but don't think I will be able to tackle the cake buffet I had planned for my birthday (we were going to go to the best teashop for 50 miles sad.

vonsudenfed Mon 18-Feb-08 11:12:17

here even

KerryMum Mon 18-Feb-08 11:17:35

I have so many feckin notes. All typed up and printed out and all but still. It's in 4 parts. Supernatural thriller with love story.

It has potential...

vonsudenfed - thanks for that! Hope you're in good form for tomorrow!

KerryMum Mon 18-Feb-08 11:18:13

LOL @ onebat. Yep, one of those plastic buckets for kids toys. Files fit quite nicely in them!

KerryMum Mon 18-Feb-08 11:19:51

Right.

Here it is:

Part One Revisions

KerryMum Mon 18-Feb-08 11:20:45

I wonder should I bother to read the entire thing all over again or just get stuck in? Even after a couple of years not having looked at it it's firm in my mind. If I read it again I'll just dither I think..

Desiderata Mon 18-Feb-08 11:29:24

OK ... I am about to hone another paragraph. grin

Kerry, I'd just get stuck in, if I were you.

KerryMum Mon 18-Feb-08 11:35:20

what type of book is it desi?

I wish I was down to paragraphs.

Just pulled out my character development file.

[sigh]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now