Writers corner

(143 Posts)
michaelad Fri 16-Mar-07 08:57:56

this is for writers or people who bask in their glory (my dh is an unpublished writer)

michaelad Thu 05-Apr-07 13:37:31

phd, published is published! My dh would be ecstatic about a readership of 126

michaelad Thu 05-Apr-07 13:38:26

BOM is one of his latest readers..so we're getting there. Albeit very very slowly! LOL

Orlando Thu 05-Apr-07 13:42:43

No, HMB don't mind direct approaches-- 3 chapters and synopsis with brief covering letter. The only thing you do need to do is target one of their 'lines' very specifically -- which means reading plenty first. There's soooooo much out there on the internet to help aspiring HMB authors; sites like eharlequin.com, the pink heart society and squillions of author blogs. It's all very supportive and welcoming.

michaelad Thu 05-Apr-07 13:44:48

orlando, if you don't mind me asking..what are hm&b rates these days?

Orlando Thu 05-Apr-07 13:48:21

It varies HUGELY between the various lines. The bestselling one is Presents, which sells all over the world and the royalties for each book reflect that. Some of the other imprints-- medicals for example-- are pretty much confined to a UK market and so have much lower royalty rates.

michaelad Thu 05-Apr-07 13:52:02

Hmmh, maybe dh should try his luck at romance novels. Would be quite a change from the fantasy and sci-fi books he's written so far. Or maybe I should pick up my pen again..in the vast amounts of spare time I have in my life

phdlife Thu 05-Apr-07 13:55:29

I read squillions of romances over the summer ("it's research honey, honest!") but did not think to note titles/publishers/genres. Which would now be very darned helpful in thinking through "mine's like... and I should send it ...". Sigh. Anyway don't suppose it matters for now!

michaelad Thu 05-Apr-07 13:58:56

Are they actually your sole source of income? Because most authors these days can only dream of ever achieving that.

phdlife Thu 05-Apr-07 14:01:48

you're talking to Orlando now, right?

because DH is my sole source of income

michaelad Thu 05-Apr-07 14:03:14

LOL, yes I was! Same here, wish it was different though. Can't wait until kids are in school so I can finally at least get a part time job somewhere.

phdlife Thu 05-Apr-07 14:06:53

good luck with that - it'll be quite some time before I'm in that market myself so just have to keep being nice to dH.

michaelad Thu 05-Apr-07 14:08:50

phd, how old are the little people then? And who is Buckwheat Zydeco? (fab character name, me thinks)

phdlife Thu 05-Apr-07 14:11:58

little person will hopefully be born any day now! (technically due on 17th). So you see writing isn't quite at top of priorities just at the mo!

\link{http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckwheat_Zydeco\Buckwheat Zydeco. You might remember soundtrack to 80s Ellen Barkin/Dennis Quaid film "The Big Easy".

(Good lord did I put that on my profile page? Must've been going through a phase!)

phdlife Thu 05-Apr-07 14:12:32

oops

Buckwheat Zydeco , even.

michaelad Thu 05-Apr-07 14:18:57

oh, you've got that long to go until school, LOL! Hey, fingers crossed for the birth then! Is it the first time?

Orlando Thu 05-Apr-07 14:19:35

Well, yes, but my dh works too. Because of the way the system works it takes a few years to reach your max earning potential (you write book, you get advance, you wait a year until book appears on shelves, when advance is out-earned you get royalties, as book is released in other countries you get more royalites) But in the meantime you've written 3 more books (they like 3 or 4 a year). So it's all a big cycle, and most HMB authors do earn a very nice living from it.

BandofBunnies Fri 06-Apr-07 10:09:08

at published authors. Must dust of my book. Or at least transfer from floppy to cd

<<<<<bows in "I am not worthy" style to all published peeps, and runs from thread as fast as poss>>>>>>>>>>

Nice to see youwere in bar MD, pity I was snoring my head off.
I frequent the teashop/bar, so if you're on come and find me!!!!

anorak Fri 06-Apr-07 10:19:40

Hello all, sorry have not been on mn much this week as I was inundated with work.

Thank you michaelad for your kind offer. I will have to catch up with you later as we are going away for a week now.

Good to see so many people joining in this thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now